New kid on the block.

Gavin23

Dum Spiro, Spero.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I don't usually bother with these introductions but thought it would be a good idea on here as hopefully, I will be an active user.

My real name is also Gavin, and my birthday is August 23rd, so that's where the name comes from. I turned 20 on Tuesday and currently work in a Solicitors office doing admin.

I've been writing on and off for probably three years now, but the book I'm working on now is the first time I've actually stuck with my characters and storyline long enough that it actually resembles something that may get finished!

I've written somewhere around the 35000 word mark and am in the middle of my eleventh chapter.

So that's about it really, if you have any questions ask away... but if they are asked after 5 o'clock you probably won't get an answer until Monday, it's the weekend after all :D !

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Don’t forget to read the FAQ regarding posting pictures at AW.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

Gavin23

Dum Spiro, Spero.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the welcomes! Just something I've seen and not quite understood, what exactly is, "Querying"? I think it's basically approaching agents/publishers with your book? If so, how exactly is it done?

Mandiloo322

[Shhhh....I'm writing.]
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Querying is when you send a bunch of query letters to literary agents or publishing houses telling them why they should read and then sell your book. For fiction, a query letter includes a brief plot summary (including the ending), how long it is (word count, not pages), and the genre. For nonfiction, you could be sending a proposal instead, which is advocating an idea for a book they would pay you to write.

If you have anything else published, or other writing credentials (an MFA, some type of job where they paid you to write stuff) you can put that at the end.

For fiction, you only send the query when the book is complete (not just written - edited, revised, revised again, and hopefully read by someone unrelated to you who can give you accurate feedback).

Always start with the agent's or a contact's name, and put all your contact info at the end. Try to do it in about 250 words or less (one typed page).

Hope this answers your question! :)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the 'forum jump' you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. After you post 50 posts you can use the SYW areas to get help there. The password for some of the areas is…..vista. A word to the wise, it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

lufftocraft

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Aboard! Everyone here is great with answering questions :) I should know I ask enough :p

BookFormatterJen

Welcome here Gavin. A newbie here too. What is your novel/book all about?

C.G.Ayling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cgayling.com
isn't it amazing how the word count builds up?
I started seeking representation for my first book when it was a slender 160k words. I was advised to trim it down... I did, and it grew to 199k. So I split it into two books of about equal length and self published it in eBook format, first. The first book is 136k, and please believe me when I say I have trimmed it to and placed it on a pretty extreme diet.
A word of advice from someone unsuited to such... keep it below 100k if you look for an agent.

JinxVelox

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome! My son's name is Gavin, so it feels weird to say hello. LOL