PDA

View Full Version : Well, I guess I missed that part of the FAQ

Chicago Expat
08-25-2011, 07:05 AM
So I saw that thread asking about how to view rep points.

Rep points? What the hell are those?

A FAQ was nailed to the top of the screen.

Oh, well, I guess I missed that the first time around.

***Reads FAQ about reps***

Hey, that's a nice feature. A way to say thanks to people for helping out.

I went into my SYW Query thread and clicked some rep buttons, then went into a couple other threads where I knew people had made comments I thought were helpful.

All done.

That was earlier today.

This evening, realizing that my visitor messaging wasn't enabled, I went into my edit options to turn it on.

That's when I saw them.

There are a lot of rep messages there for me. And some have been sitting there for months.

So I put up this thread as a soft blanket of Thank You for all the nice comments. I intend to respond to individual messages where appropriate.

But I didn't want anybody to think I wasn't a gentleman. Abrasive? Sure. Vaguely reminiscent of Rizzo the Rat? I think so. Query letter annihilator? Oh hell yes. Irascible, monotonous, repetitive, redundant, repetitive, malaise-y, kincaide-enamored, distractable, intractable, igloo, lego-enthused, culinarily obsessive and poker-challenged? Sure, all of those things.

But I'm a gentleman, dammit.

So thanks for the kind words, all you great people.

Cheers.

Alessandra Kelley
08-25-2011, 07:07 AM
Um. Um. *wracks brain* You're welcome?

(And thank you for reminding me about enabling Visitor Messaging ...)

Chicago Expat
08-25-2011, 07:47 AM
Ironically, AK, if I recall, your post was the first on my intro thread reminding me about all the FAQs and what-not. I really did go through them, but apparently everything didn't stick (mild pun intended).

Also, I most certainly do remember First Comics and Eclipse (and Eagle and Epic).

Cheers.

Chicago Expat
08-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Also, as an addendum, when I went and gave out some reps for people that had helped me out, that was before I saw all the ones in my profile. I didn't realize that they are typically very personable. I thought when I started giving out reps that it was like a small review or something. So when I put in very impersonal statements like...

"Helped me on SYW Query thread."
or
"Made helpful comments. Would make great critter."

...I didn't realize that it was going straight to each of you like that. I mean, I definitely meant what I said, but I didn't mean for it to come off like some awful Yelp review page, lol.

KellyAssauer
08-25-2011, 08:07 AM
Don't sweat it CE, we've all done it, and besides, now you've talked the Aztec Ace into going back in time to fix it all for ya.

This should be fun.

:D

Lady MacBeth
08-25-2011, 08:08 AM

Hey, that's a nice feature. A way to say thanks to people for helping out.

I went into my SYW Query thread and clicked some rep buttons, then went into a couple other threads where I knew people had made comments I thought were helpful.

All done.

That was earlier today.

This evening, realizing that my visitor messaging wasn't enabled, I went into my edit options to turn it on.

That's when I saw them.

There are a lot of rep messages there for me. And some have been sitting there for months.

So I put up this thread as a soft blanket of Thank You for all the nice comments. I intend to respond to individual messages where appropriate.

But I didn't want anybody to think I wasn't a gentleman. Abrasive? Sure. Vaguely reminiscent of Rizzo the Rat? I think so. Query letter annihilator? Oh hell yes. Irascible, monotonous, repetitive, redundant, repetitive, malaise-y, kincaide-enamored, distractable, intractable, igloo, lego-enthused, culinarily obsessive and poker-challenged? Sure, all of those things.

So thanks for the kind words, all you great people.

Cheers.

OMG. I'm guilty of this too. Sorry everyone. I didn't realize I had rep points until I read this thread. So... thank you.:D

Sage
08-25-2011, 08:22 AM
Yep, it happens all the time.

Actually, when I saw that same thread about reps today, I thought, "Wow, she only had 17 posts, and she already knows about reps?" Usually it takes a while for people to find them :D

Chicago Expat
08-25-2011, 08:40 AM
now you've talked the Aztec Ace into going back in time to fix it all for ya.

Uh oh. I'm a married man. Don't start talking Eclipse to me. Those are words to swoon by.

I just joined a comics forum (CBR). There's a whole buncha stuff going on in comics currently that I don't have a clue about. I hang out in the Classic Comics section and talk Eclipse, First, etc, (and for those of them who are older than me, comics I've only heard about). The nostalgia is warm as christmas lights on a snowy day. I began a Masked Man (BC Boyer) review and synopsis thread. Sometimes I think I have too much time on my hands.

Cheers.

Medievalist
08-25-2011, 09:11 AM

OMG OMG

He read an FAQ!

[swoons]

[Reps madly]

Chicago Expat
08-25-2011, 09:38 AM
OMG OMG

He read an FAQ!

[swoons]

[Reps madly]

:roll:

He read an FAQ!It was probably wise of you to leave the word "carefully" out of that sentence. We need to be able to celebrate our victories, no matter how small they may be.

Mr Flibble
08-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Reps are also a great way to make suggestive comments to people.

Man, I miss Quickwit. Though he did email me the other day to fart in my face.

Chicago Expat
08-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Reps are also a great way to make suggestive comments to people.

Hey, awesome. I'm full of suggestions!

Lavern08
08-25-2011, 09:35 PM
...But I didn't want anybody to think I wasn't a gentleman. Abrasive? Sure. Vaguely reminiscent of Rizzo the Rat? I think so.

Irascible, monotonous, repetitive, redundant, repetitive, malaise-y, kincaide-enamored, distractable, intractable, igloo, lego-enthused, culinarily obsessive and poker-challenged? Sure, all of those things.

*Whispers*

I think Chicago is an ideal candidate for the "Old Farts" forum. Just sayin'

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-25-2011, 10:37 PM
OMG OMG

He read an FAQ!

[swoons]

[Reps madly]

:OFG fans Medi: There... there... you'll be alright! I know it's a shock to your system 'n' all, but just breath deeply - in and out, that's it!

*Whispers*

I think Chicago is an ideal candidate for the "Old Farts" forum. Just sayin'

So... bring 'im on in, Lavern! We need some manly men in that joint!

writerterri
08-25-2011, 10:56 PM
And you're dorky.

PS. Means I really dig you. :D

seun
08-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Man, I miss Quickwit. Though he did email me the other day to fart in my face.

Damn it. That's my chat up line.

Chicago Expat
08-26-2011, 01:49 AM
I think Chicago is an ideal candidate for the "Old Farts" forum.

That's offensive. I prefer to be called retro-gassy.

We need some manly men in that joint!

Where thread?! Chicago SMASH! SMASH THREAD!

And you're dorky.

Only on my best days.

Lavern08
08-26-2011, 02:16 AM
That's offensive. I prefer to be called retro-gassy.

Oh great.

Gassy and a smarty-pants.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nsSqnIfJFLk/S7T0kqM3URI/AAAAAAAAAus/yf5rZmbbDac/s320/old_man_high_pants-257x300.jpg

Chicago Expat
08-26-2011, 02:20 AM
Oh great.

Gassy and a smarty-pants.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nsSqnIfJFLk/S7T0kqM3URI/AAAAAAAAAus/yf5rZmbbDac/s320/old_man_high_pants-257x300.jpg

Well, they do say that everyone has a twin.

Alessandra Kelley
08-26-2011, 02:22 AM
OMG OMG

He read an FAQ!

[swoons]

[Reps madly]

What? Huh?

Doesn't everybody read FAQs? :eek:

Medievalist
08-26-2011, 03:42 AM
What? Huh?

Doesn't everybody read FAQs? :eek:

Alas no, aside from a few mods who mock my age and infirmities, no one seems to read my exquisite genre-defying FAQs, which I spend YEARS writing, up hill, in snow and sleet, against the gravitational forces of the Earth, and with insufficient booze for fuel.

Mr Flibble
08-26-2011, 04:28 AM
Alas no, aside from a few mods who mock my age and infirmities, no one seems to read my exquisite genre-defying FAQs, which I spend YEARS writing, up hill, in snow and sleet, against the gravitational forces of the Earth, and with insufficient booze for fuel.
Did you have to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before you went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to go to work, and when you got home, your Dad would kill you, and dance about on your graves singing "Hallelujah."?

The youth of today, they just don't realise how hard things were, amiright?

Medievalist
08-26-2011, 04:33 AM
The youth of today, they just don't realise how hard things were, amiright?

Yes, yes, exactly that—you know what it's like!

I suffer so.

:cry:

Mara
08-26-2011, 04:40 AM
Oops! I just realized I forgot to enable my visitor messages too. *does so*

My apologies to all the millions of adoring fans who were unable to post publically visible random comments to my profile. :)

Mr Flibble
08-26-2011, 04:40 AM
There, there, we all suffer for our art, and your FAQs are truly works of art. Under appreciated, like Van Gogh when he was alive.

*hands over hanky*

Please don't cut any bits off!

Alessandra Kelley
08-26-2011, 04:47 AM

But ... sput ... How do people find their way around? How do they work out how to do things? Your FAQs are compact guides of wisdom distilled. Surely ... surely they're not stumbling around without the guidance your FAQs put in their hands, free for the taking. Surely.

Mr Flibble
08-26-2011, 04:50 AM
But ... sput ... How do people find their way around? How do they work out how to do things? Your FAQs are compact guides of wisdom distilled. Surely ... surely they're not stumbling around without the guidance your FAQs put in their hands, free for the taking. Surely.

I think it's kinda like when you get a new gadget or something (this is borne out by Old Man;s experience in IT with people using new software)- people tinker to see if they can make it work. Only as a last resort do they ever RTFM*

*Read the f'ing manual. Possibly because you go to the section on what you want to do, it says go to page 156. You go to page 156 - it says go to the section you were just at...See Medi's FAQs aren't like that but expectation can be a horrible thing,

Alessandra Kelley
08-26-2011, 04:57 AM
I think it's kinda like when you get a new gadget or something (this is borne out by Old Man;s experience in IT with people using new software)- people tinker to see if they can make it work. Only as a last resort do they ever RTFM*

*Read the f'ing manual. Possibly because you go to the section on what you want to do, it says go to page 156. You go to page 156 - it says go to the section you were just at...See Medi's FAQs aren't like that but expectation can be a horrible thing,

Well, I will confess to poking around a little bit -- it's how I found, well, a kind of backstage here. But I read the FAQs first. I hate not knowing how a site works.

I read manuals, too. And software licensing agreements. And online release forms.

Chicago Expat
08-26-2011, 05:34 AM
I typically try to stay on top of current trends. Y'know, which designer is hot, who's opening the chic new restaurant, what shows are people watching, which celebrity is their favorite, what questions are asked most frequently... that kind of thing. It's why I'm confounded to come up with a reason that I didn't learn about the rep thing sooner.

Perhaps people would read it more if you added a soundtrack to the FAQ.

Mr Flibble
08-26-2011, 05:53 AM
Well, I will confess to poking around a little bit -- it's how I found, well, a kind of backstage here. But I read the FAQs first. I hate not knowing how a site works.

I read manuals, too. And software licensing agreements. And online release forms.

Some people do - most do not and then call hubby out to 'fix' things, I do not complain - they pay him money:D

Perhaps people would read it more if you added a soundtrack to the FAQ.

Please never EVER say this again. Newbies being rickrolled...

Chicago Expat
08-26-2011, 05:59 AM
Please never EVER say this again. Newbies being rickrolled...

Seriously?

Every time I read this, I can hear .38 Special's "Hold On Loosely"...

What are reputation points? Members can give and take away other members' reputation points. There is a scale on the bottom left of posts-- click on it, and a box will appear that allows you to approve or disapprove of a poster's comments, and add a comment if you choose. Members have the power to add or subtract one rep point from other members. Administrators can add/subtract 10 points from members. The purpose: You can add to someone's rep points if you feel the person is helpful, trustworthy, supportive, etc. This helps new members figure out who to trust, and helps us figure out who should be "promoted" to moderator status. You can subtract rep points if you feel someone is rude, giving poor advice, abusive, etc. This helps the mods figure out if someone should be warned or banned. Rep points can help you attain extra priviledges for custom graphics, more mailbox space, etc. Everyone starts out with a reputation score of 10. To become a Super Member, you just need to keep that score of 10 and accumulate 50 posts. (ahem)
privileges is misspelled in the FAQ.

Lavern08
08-26-2011, 08:14 PM
(ahem)

See? I told y'all.

Gassy and a smarty-pants spell checker. :poke:

Medievalist
08-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Seriously?

Every time I read this, I can hear .38 Special's "Hold On Loosely"...

(ahem)

Actually, that's not one of "my" FAQs; that's the built in one from vBulletin.

This one is mine. I'm sure it's got spelling errors too.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208323

Chicago Expat
08-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Actually, that's not one of "my" FAQs; that's the built in one from vBulletin.

This one is mine. I'm sure it's got spelling errors too.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208323

Well, that's what I assumed. There was a huge drop-off in FAQ quality from "your" FAQs down to the vbulletin FAQs.

But you know Lavern, always itching to play the blame game (and poke green smileys and make them frown. How come she's gotta do that?).

Medievalist
08-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Well, unlike vBulletin, I even created a writing FAQ: How Text Can Be Written By One (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1235173&postcount=1).