PDA

View Full Version : Sachin Tendulkar, and greatness

Priene
08-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Just cricket, I know, but a lot more as well...

So there was Sachin Tendulkar, India's Little Master, the best batsman in the world, needing one more century to do what no-one's ever done and nobody's likely to do: score 100 International centuries. All summer he's been trying and failing, and today was his last chance in England (and maybe, at 38, his last ever chance) to get that final century. The tour was long since lost, the match looked like going to England, but there was Tendulkar, finally heading towards 100. His teammates wanted it. The crowd wanted it. The England players wanted it. Everyone did.

And then he was out LBW for 91.

It brought to mind the greatest batsman of all Donald Bradman, needing just four in his final innings to have an career average of 100 runs per innings, ridiculously better than anyone else has ever managed. He was bowled for zero to leave forever an average cruelly stuck at 99.94.

All I can think is that greatness is permitted but perfection isn't. Something to do with the gods, I suppose.

Williebee
08-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Perhaps a karmic reminder to celebrate the quest, not the goal?

An amazing career.

Torgo
08-22-2011, 10:32 PM
All I can think is that greatness is permitted but perfection isn't. Something to do with the gods, I suppose.

We are exactly on the same wavelength about this - that's was precisely my thought. In fact I dropped a line to the Guardian's OBO today:

Tendulkarís quest for the 100th 100 has a touch of the Bradmans about it, doesnít it? I have this feeling that cricket just doesnít tolerate the perfection of round numbers; I would not be surprised to see him stranded on 99 international centuries as the Don was on 99.94.

mirandashell
08-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Poor old Sachin. Maybe he'll get one in the ODIs.

But at least India finally put up a fight.

Priene
08-23-2011, 12:34 AM
Poor old Sachin. Maybe he'll get one in the ODIs.

You'd think so. Although Chester-le-Street or Cardiff don't seem grand enough for the occasion.

But at least India finally put up a fight.

Until Mishra and Tendulkar went, anyway. After that it was like a balloon popping. Possibly through embarrassment.

waylander
08-23-2011, 02:48 AM
he should have been caught in the 70s

mirandashell
08-23-2011, 02:56 AM
Well, he's getting on but he ain't that old!

Don
08-23-2011, 03:33 AM
Just cricket, I know, but a lot more as well...

So there was Sachin Tendulkar, India's Little Master, the best batsman in the world, needing one more century to do what no-one's ever done and nobody's likely to do: score 100 International centuries. All summer he's been trying and failing, and today was his last chance in England (and maybe, at 38, his last ever chance) to get that final century. The tour was long since lost, the match looked like going to England, but there was Tendulkar, finally heading towards 100. His teammates wanted it. The crowd wanted it. The England players wanted it. Everyone did.

And then he was out LBW for 91.

It brought to mind the greatest batsman of all Donald Bradman, needing just four in his final innings to have an career average of 100 runs per innings, ridiculously better than anyone else has ever managed. He was bowled for zero to leave forever an average cruelly stuck at 99.94.

I dunno what gods those would be. According to how I was raised, (s)he loves baseball and apple pie. I don't think cricket's even on the radar. :D

mirandashell
08-23-2011, 03:56 AM
Only in America. The rest of the world has a god of sport that loves cricket.