personal rejection from magazine editor

turningpoint

Registered
Reaction score
Is a personal rejection from a magazine editor meant to be encouraging- naming your proposal and inviting you to submit in the future or is it just polite?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's better than a form letter. The invitation to submit again means that while they didn't want this article/story, they thought you wrote well. Mention that in the cover letter when you send something else addressed to that editor.

Maryn, fan of the 'good rejection'

turningpoint

Registered
Reaction score
thank you. I thought it might mean that, but I wasn't sure if it's the same with magazines as with books. I'll try again then.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Depending on how it's written, it can be sincere, or simply polite, but it's always better than a simple "Not right for us".

Miriel

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
A very few magazines (I can think of two) personalize all rejections, but if they say they'd like to see more, they mean it.

vrflash

Registered
Reaction score
There are no hard rules, of course, but more likely than not the editor meant it.

Velcro

Scribbling Scribe
Registered
Reaction score
I would take it as a good sign if the editor took time enough to write you more than just a form letter. I'd say keep trying with this magazine with your other work and see what pans out.