Long vs Short Articles and a Few Basic Questions

midazolam

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to this, and although I've been scouring many pages of this forum for answers, I still have a few questions. If anyone knows the answers to one, a few, or all of these questions, it would be much appreciated!

1. If I want to pitch a short, 350-word article (ie. humorous essay) to a magazine, do I just include the article in the query, or do I describe the subject briefly and pitch it as I would a feature-length piece?

2. If I want to pitch a longer, non-fiction article (like a feature on running in other countries, or a very specific medical problem), then do I just query with a pitch letter and leave it at that? If they're interested, will they request more information, outline, photos, etc., or does the article have to be completed?

3. I'm unpublished, so I can't include clips, but I would rather start from the top and work my way down. Is it true some of the bigger magazines won't look an unpublished author's work? Or is the pitch more important?

4. Expanding on #3, is it a good strategy to start with the higher-paying magazines, or is it best to start at a lower level so I have some published articles to speak of? I tend to aim big, especially if I'm putting a lot of time into writing something that requires copious research.

5. I have an agent from a very reputable agency for fiction, but I'm not yet published. Should I mention this in a query letter?

I think that's it for now - thank you!!

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to this, and although I've been scouring many pages of this forum for answers, I still have a few questions. If anyone knows the answers to one, a few, or all of these questions, it would be much appreciated!

1. If I want to pitch a short, 350-word article (ie. humorous essay) to a magazine, do I just include the article in the query, or do I describe the subject briefly and pitch it as I would a feature-length piece?

2. If I want to pitch a longer, non-fiction article (like a feature on running in other countries, or a very specific medical problem), then do I just query with a pitch letter and leave it at that? If they're interested, will they request more information, outline, photos, etc., or does the article have to be completed?

3. I'm unpublished, so I can't include clips, but I would rather start from the top and work my way down. Is it true some of the bigger magazines won't look an unpublished author's work? Or is the pitch more important?

4. Expanding on #3, is it a good strategy to start with the higher-paying magazines, or is it best to start at a lower level so I have some published articles to speak of? I tend to aim big, especially if I'm putting a lot of time into writing something that requires copious research.

5. I have an agent from a very reputable agency for fiction, but I'm not yet published. Should I mention this in a query letter?

I think that's it for now - thank you!!

1. If it's a short ARTICLE you can go either way. If it's an essay, write it and send it. These things are really different.

2. Yes, query with a thorough pitch letter. Don't write it first, the editor will have her own opinions about things like length, style, and angle.

3. Yes, some of them won't. Fortunately, the worst they can say is no. If you want to start at the top, start at the top. But you better blow them away with a FANTASTIC pitch.

4. There is no "best", it's just how you prefer to work. Although working for the low-paying markets should not be a long-term strategy, of course.

5. Not unless it is somehow relevant to what you're pitching.

midazolam

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, WildScribe. Very helpful and very, very much appreciated! :)

Hmm, so I guess an essay is quite a bit different than an article. Let's say I wanted to write a short, 300-word humorous essay about golf, but I felt I could write numerous articles like this on a regular basis (some funny, some instructive, etc.), how would I pitch this? And would a consumer golf magazine be my best bet?

Ultimate Cheapskate

Registered
Reaction score
Accokeek, Maryland -- 20 miles south of Washington
Thank you, WildScribe. Very helpful and very, very much appreciated! :)

Hmm, so I guess an essay is quite a bit different than an article. Let's say I wanted to write a short, 300-word humorous essay about golf, but I felt I could write numerous articles like this on a regular basis (some funny, some instructive, etc.), how would I pitch this? And would a consumer golf magazine be my best bet?

I'm not sure that I entirely understand your question, but if you're thinking about pitching a series or regular feature column right off the bat, I'd hold off on that until you have a couple of clips in your file. I'd simply pitch whatever piece you think is the strongest first, then go from there.

With regard to a possibile ongoing series of short, golf-related articles, don't overlook the possibility of landing a paid blogging gig with the website of a golf magazine, or golfing association/organization, or even syndicating a blog for the websites of local golf clubs, resorts, shops, etc. The length of articles you're talking about (300-500 words) would be perfect for a blog, and it's often easier to get published online than in print. The good news is, there's a tremendous demand for online content, particularly in the form of an ongoing blog (something to keep a website looking fresh), and the pay rates in many instances are starting to rival print publications.

Good luck.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I have no published articles but working my courage up to do it. Try to find magazines that either don't require published clips or don't require a query.

One magazine I plan to write for is a history magazine that only pays 10 cents/word and accepts articles up to 2,000 words. It's not much but it will give a clip and enable me to work up to better magazines.

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
Since you have no clips, I would definitely include the essay. This way they can see the piece. I always include pieces if they're already written and I've never gotten a negative word about it.

I just do a cover letter if the piece is already written. I will talk a bit about the piece and then say, "I have placed this article at the bottom of this email for your reading convenience."

Of course if a publication specifies "queries only," follow that.