Kids Can Be Cruel! Bullied out of High School...

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Saw this story on Yahoo "Kid gets bullied out of school"

It features a kid who created a Youtube vid that got a bazillion hits.

guess that was too much success for her friends to handle

The online anti-Rebecca comments became so violent at one point the FBI became involved when Black started receiving death threats. But now that the bullying has branched off the internet and into her real life, Black has been forced to act. [her mother pulled her out of school to be home schooled]

You know what's funny. I wonder if any of those kids ever watched Entourage on HBO.

Entourage is a show about a guy who goes to hollywood, becomes a mega celebrity, and brings his childhood friends along with them and they all enjoy the lifestyle and success.

Think about it, how could having a best friend mega-star be a bad thing?

Anyways, kids are cruel monkeys.

Such a shame, this girl did not deserve this.

Mel...

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
It got a bajillion hits because it was so god awful. It was a viral joke becoming the most "disliked" video on youtube...the laughing stock of the internet for about a month or two earlier this year. She got success, yeah, but it infamy; she got well-known for being really, really bad at what she does.

But, like "the world's ugliest dog" or some other weird side-show phenomenon, after the laughter died down, some people thought her lack of talent was somewhat endearing, so now she's moving on to bigger things. Pop fame is all about image, studio tricks, and autotune, so she'll likely be around for a while now that she's somewhat infamous.

The power of the internet...can turn a nasally, untalented kid into a pop culture name.

As to the bullying, it's sad. Some people can be horrible wastes of oxygen sometimes. It sucks that it came to that but her parents who paid for all of this (and I'm assuming she has an agent) had to have known there'd be a backlash, or at least complications, due to how badly her song was received and the initial negative attention she garnered.

They should've pulled her out of school months ago. Their poor judgment shares some blame here, but it's mostly the fault of the asshole bullies at her school

Last edited:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
You know what's funny. I wonder if any of those kids ever watched Entourage on HBO.

Entourage is a show about a guy who goes to hollywood, becomes a mega celebrity, and brings his childhood friends along with them and they all enjoy the lifestyle and success.

Think about it, how could having a best friend mega-star be a bad thing?

I'm sorry, but what does Entourage has to do with any of this? They should be nice to her because she is famous?

This little girl did not get a recording contract. Her mother paid for the recording and the filming of the video. It was a vanity project. Sad about the bullying, but not smart on her part.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
This little girl did not get a recording contract. Her mother paid for the recording and the filming of the video. It was a vanity project. Sad about the bullying, but not smart on her part.

And I think things like this are a good example of why it's often best to slowly work your way up to things like this, and approach vanity projects carefully. There are some great child prodigies out there who do deserve attention, but most people need time to develop their skills, and most people's early attempts at something aren't anything special. I wrote some horrendous stories when I was Rebecca Black's age, but they never got much readership beyond my parents and a few friends.

I don't know a lot about how Black's video became the sensation it did. On the one hand, I think if someone wants to spend money on a vanity music video project just for fun, and post it to YouTube for their friends and family, there's nothing wrong with that. But I also think that when your attempt looks like it's supposed to be professional, people are going to be much more likely to criticize it if it's not professional quality.

In any case, there's no excuse for the bullying and I think it's really sad she's been going through this.

Bracken

Registered
Reaction score

It's never "smart" for a middle schooler to do something which sets him or her apart from the crowd. It makes him or her an automatic target.
It is the primal instinct of children to follow a herd mentality. That's how they stayed safe for thousands of years; those who stood out or drew the attention of predators potentially put the entire herd at risk (so the others tended to turn on them and tear them apart).
The instinct is still there; the only thing that's changed is that we're no longer being chased by lions across the veldt, with only sharpened sticks for protection.
Of course, if somebody hadn't stood apart from the crowd and tried something different, we probably still would be.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
It's never "smart" for a middle schooler to do something which sets him or her apart from the crowd.

Sorry, she is not standing out from the crowd. She is singing a crappy mainstream pop song and not showing an impressive vocal range or talent. It's nothing unique or special. Any kid her age could have done this if her mom had bought the opportunity.

When I said "not smart on her part" I meant her mother. Buying a shortcut to success in the music world is not smart.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, she is not standing out from the crowd. She is singing a crappy mainstream pop song and not showing an impressive vocal range or talent. It's nothing unique or special. Any kid her age could have done this if her mom had bought the opportunity.

When I said "not smart on her part" I meant her mother. Buying a shortcut to success in the music world is not smart.

Not trying to be snarky, but I really don't understand where your resistance is coming from.

As if we need the music industry to only reward those with merit and talent. That is not reality, the reality is that there are a lot of paths to stardom to include: being a no talent hack that is pretty, nepotism, couch interviews, etc. etc.

The mother's actions in this case are hardly a crime.

Seriously, WTF am I missing here?

We're talking about an industry where most songs are lip synced and autotuned to death anyways.

Mel...

indiriverflow

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.blues4kali.com
I went in with an open mind, and I admit to loathing all teen-oriented pop, but that is the suckiest thing I have seen in a good long while. Sorry Rebecca, but you are not ready for prime time. Nor is the "production company" that inflicted this on the world. Even on mute, that video is an eyesore.

Those lyrics are vapid and horrid, even allowing for the age of the "artist". Not to be a hater, but I seriously could not stop laughing. How did she sing that trash without busting a gut?

The only talent I saw in the video was the rapper toward the end. He isn't bad, and I am not a huge fan of rap. The contrast makes him look like a genius, however.

If I went to school with her, I would mock her smug, superficial display of empty-headed triviality as well. If that makes me cruel, so be it. This video is a crime against music. If it had been kept as a private curiosity for her family, I would have no complaint. I would in fact never heard of it. If it had been found and disseminated against her will, I would be sympathetic. But she released this, and is reaping the benefits as well as the humiliation. Only the latter is well-deserved.

Last edited:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Not trying to be snarky, but I really don't understand where your resistance is coming from.

resistance to what, exactly?

The mother's actions in this case are hardly a crime.

Did I say it was a crime? No. I said it was stupid. The woman decides her daughter should be a singer and instead of giving her voice lessons or putting her in choir, she buys a short cut--pays someone to write a song for her daughter to sing and make a video for her. Did she just expect everyone to love it? They don't, and now her daughter, who isn't even old enough to know any better, is being made fun of for it. Basically, it backfired. I think it is unfortunate that she is bullied. But I think it is unfortunate when anyone is. This girl, however, probably would not be if her mother hadnt done this.

We're talking about an industry where most songs are lip synced and autotuned to death anyways.

Not the music I listen to.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
"backfired"

backfired implies an intentional act to decieve and I guess I just don't see it that way.

What's wrong with putting together your own video, especially in this youtube age?

What's wrong with thinking you have a one hit wonder. I mean, seriously, do i need to make a list of all the stupid songs and no talent hacks that have a 1-hit wonder or became an internet sensation?

I guess I'm just old, I don't see this as being a big enough deal for her to be teased.

Not saying you are defending the teasers or condoning their actions.

Mel...

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I went in with an open mind, and I admit to loathing all teen-oriented pop, but that is the suckiest thing I have seen in a good long while. Sorry Rebecca, but you are not ready for prime time. Nor is the "production company" that inflicted this on the world.

Those lyrics are vapid and horrid, even allowing for the age of the "artist". Not to be a hater, but I seriously could not stop laughing. How did she sing that trash without busting a gut?

The only talent I saw in the video was the rapper toward the end. He isn't bad, and I am not a huge fan of rap. The contrast makes him look like a genius, however.

If I went to school with her, I would mock her smug, superficial display of empty-headed triviality as well. If that makes me cruel, so be it. This video is a crime against music. If it had been kept as a private curiosity for her family, I would have no complaint. I would in fact never heard of it. If it had been found and disseminated against her will, I would be sympathetic. But she released this, and is reaping the benefits as well as the humiliation. Only the latter is well-deserved.
That's more than a bit harsh. No one deserves to be bullied. She's a kid. She was chasing a dream. I'll cut her a little slack for that, but very little.

She's, unfortunately, a product of the recent vapid, self-centered drivel that kids are fed from a lot of their TV shows and kid-oriented marketing. The Bratz Dolls, for instance, are a perfect example, and they are an abhorrent creation. Hannah Montana, is another example (and pox on our culture). Kids are led to believe that it's okay to be superficial brats and that they should strive to be famous.

When I was a kid, I watched Doogie Howser, MD. When I watched that, I dreamed of what it'd be like to be a doctor. Kids these days watch bullshit like Hannah Montana. If you ask many of them what they'd like to be, they'll say "famous."

So, it's no wonder that young, absolutely talentless Rebecca thought that she should purse a life of fame. She was likely deluded by the media she digested as well as her parents (seems like it was mainly her mom) to believe that not only was she talented, but that she deserved to be famous.

Rather than doing the responsible, good parent thing and telling her talentless child that she should concentrate on school and save the stardom-seeking for after graduation, her mother, instead, decided to indulge her child's delusions and buy her fame by paying this company to make her kid a star.

The result? Her kid became famous, sort of, for being really, really bad. Like, monumentally horrible. Thus, she's gotten ridiculed all over the internet, TV, radio, and also at school. That's a shitty thing for anyone, especially a kid, to have to go through.

So, I mostly blame the mother for this situation. She seems, from what I've read, to be a bit like those crazy moms from the "Pageant Mom" shows. And, for all I know, Rebecca is a bit of a drama queen and is exaggerating the bullying just to get out of school and focus more on her "career." I can't be sure but it does seem suspicious to me that her 15 minutes seemed to be over and now this story and her TV interview come out which, coincidentally, coincide with her releasing a new album.

Sad that some kids/people become obsessed with being famous. Even more sad when their parents see them as a gravy train and indulge those delusions and try to BUY that fame.

Having said all that, I still don't condone the actions of the bullies, but her mother is partially to blame for creating this monster and then putting her child in such a contentious environment.

ETA: Just realized that I wrote "coincidentally coincides" and, as grammatically shameful as that is, I haven't been able to figure out how to reword my way out of it.

Last edited:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
"backfired"

backfired implies an intentional act to decieve and I guess I just don't see it that way.

That isnt really what I meant to imply. I just meant that the mother seemed to think that spending all this money on a song and video would make her daughter the next Britney Spears, and instead she turned into the next Chris Crocker.

What's wrong with putting together your own video, especially in this youtube age?

None of this was her own. Her mother hired someone else to do all of it. Write the song, and make the video.

I guess I'm just old, I don't see this as being a big enough deal for her to be teased.

This is why I think she is probably being teased...kids, especially high school age kids, are passionate about things like music. They passionately love their favorites and passionately hate what they don't enjoy. When I was that age, bad music was a big deal. Justin Beiber is not that talented, and he gets made fun of, but the difference is, he is also very successful, and has a lot of people who like his music and think he's cool. She doesn't really have that. He made a lot of money getting where he is today, while her mom spent a lot to get there. In my opinion, it was just not smart of her mom to try and put her out there like that. When you have no eye for talent or marketability, you're just making your kid vulnerable to negative attention.

I am with Opty, though. I think her parents are probably pulling her out of school to concentrate on her "career" for the same reason they bought her the song--so that she can live in her own little world and pretend she has one.

indiriverflow

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.blues4kali.com
Wait a second. They bought these lyrics? I missed that part. I assumed that she had written them herself. Some third party was actually paid for that garbage? Someone who is older than fourteen?

Man, am I in the wrong business.

Indi, who carefully considers each syllable and gives lyrics for free to jam bands just for the pleasure of hearing them performed.

Did I say it was a crime? No. They don't, and now her daughter, who isn't even old enough to know any better, is being made fun of for it.

I said it was a crime, and I stand by it. An assault on my ears and eyes. And fourteen years old is not "too young to know better". I was fourteen once, and my poetry wasn't great, but it was a damn sight better than this, and I knew when I was ridiculous.

She sang this crap, with that goofy smile on her face, and in my world, she should never live it down. Maybe if we stop pretending that adolescents are incapable of understanding the world, they will stop sinking to our lowered expectations.

I've known a lot of teenagers--hell, I've met seven year olds--who show better judgment and intelligence than this.

She doesn't deserve jail, but mockery...hell yeah. For the sake of helping to eliminate this lame mentality from the culture.

Fourteen year olds are adults, biologically and historically. The idea that they are not is an invention of the past couple centuries. If we stop infantilizing teenagers and acting like they are to be forgiven their idiocies, maybe they will stop being idiots so often.

Last edited:

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
Look. I feel bad for this girl. I'm knackered so I can't quite articulate what I want to say but - she's just following the dream set up for young girls, the 'get famous quick', the 'be a pop star', and yes, the song is abysmal - no doubt about it - but we have to question whether she'd have done it at all if society wasn't so bloody fame-obsessed, if celebrity wasn't considered an aspirational lifestyle.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Parents throughout history have thought their children 'special.' It's what keeps them from drowning them at birth.

The democratization of the performing arts means that parents can now be disabused of that notion internationally, and almost overnight, by posting their 'special' child's performance on the internet, for as little as the cost of a webcam.

Before, they had to save up tens of thousands of dollars and send their kid off to some gatekeeper in Hollywood who would tell them they were terrible.

Seems like progress to me. Momma saved the shitload of money she would have spent raising this kid for a dead-end career in show biz.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wait a second. They bought these lyrics? I missed that part. I assumed that she had written them herself. Some third party was actually paid for that garbage? Someone who is older than fourteen?

Indi, who carefully considers each syllable and gives lyrics for free to jam bands just for the pleasure of hearing them performed.

I said it was a crime, and I stand by it. An assault on my ears and eyes. And fourteen years old is not "too young to know better". I was fourteen once, and my poetry wasn't great, but it was a damn sight better than this, and I knew when I was ridiculous.

She sang this crap, with that goofy smile on her face, and in my world, she should never live it down. Maybe if we stop pretending that adolescents are incapable of understanding the world, they will stop sinking to our lowered expectations.

I've known a lot of teenagers--hell, I've met seven year olds--who show better judgment and intelligence than this.

She doesn't deserve jail, but mockery...hell yeah. For the sake of helping to eliminate this lame mentality from the culture.

Fourteen year olds are adults, biologically and historically. The idea that they are not is an invention of the past couple centuries. If we stop infantilizing teenagers and acting like they are to be forgiven their idiocies, maybe they will stop being idiots so often.

I dunno, Indi. I'm pretty damn glad people forgave me for my idiocies when I was fourteen. I mean, they're teenagers. They do tend to grow out of it. Mostly.

Cranky,
who had her walls plastered with pictures of NKOTB

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"When I walk by, they'll start singing 'Friday' in a really nasally voice," she tells ABC. "Or, you know, they'll be like, 'Oh hey, Rebecca, guess what day it is?'"

I'm sorry, that does not constitute bullying. That's minor-league teasing. That's fucking weak sauce. This isn't a case of getting "bullied out of high school." This is a case of dropping out to pursue a career that she and her folks better hope miraculously turns into something genuinely lucrative before she becomes another Lindsay Lohan. Which is within their right, but to frame it as being in any way a result of "bullying"--at least based on what that article gives us--is total bullshit.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

Bob Dylan sang the original with a highly facetious tone. Seems Rebecca completely flopped on it.

Last edited:

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Before, they had to save up tens of thousands of dollars and send their kid off to some gatekeeper in Hollywood who would tell them they were terrible.

Seems like progress to me. Momma saved the shitload of money she would have spent raising this kid for a dead-end career in show biz.

Nah, they still have to shell out thousands of dollars on the video. Then there's apparently some sort of tour she's going on and management, promoters and / or labels always recoup any advance money one way or another. Especially on an unproven, inconsistent commodity. So it's pretty much same song, different mic....

indiriverflow

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.blues4kali.com
Bob Dylan sang the original with a highly facetious tone. Seems Rebecca completely flopped on it.

I have tremendous respect for Bob, but he sure did come out with some turds. I used to think "Gotta Serve Somebody" was the worst, but this is my new least favorite song.
icon12.gif

Still, it doesn't sound so bad this way. Maybe I'm just used to the patented Dylan nasal rap.

Whoever did this version has a future working retirement homes and bingo halls in San Francisco.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I dunno, Indi. I'm pretty damn glad people forgave me for my idiocies when I was fourteen. I mean, they're teenagers. They do tend to grow out of it. Mostly.

Cranky,
who had her walls plastered with pictures of NKOTB

David Cassidy and Ted Neely. :e2paperba

Same here, Cranky. Although when I was 14, my parents' enabling was limited to driving me to local theater classes, and then auditions. It took awhile, but I learned how to act and then landed roles. Small at first, then bigger, as I refined my skills.

I guess that's the step skipped here--voice lessons to see if she really had what it takes.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
David Cassidy and Ted Neely. :e2paperba

Same here, Cranky. Although when I was 14, my parents' enabling was limited to driving me to local theater classes, and then auditions. It took awhile, but I learned how to act and then landed roles. Small at first, then bigger, as I refined my skills.

I guess that's the step skipped here--voice lessons to see if she really had what it takes.

Yeah, let's not discuss my various short stories and novel attempts at that age. *groans* I am so glad nothing of them remains to embarrass me now. :D

But yeah, I'm thinking that skipping the voice lessons did Rebecca Black no favors. Not sure taking them would've helped, though. Mythbusters proved you actually *can* polish a turd into something shiny, but it's still a turd. If you can't sing (I can't), then you just can't, lessons or no. A man (or woman) has got to know their limitations.