PDA

View Full Version : Kids Can Be Cruel! Bullied out of High School...

dgiharris
08-11-2011, 03:45 AM
Saw this story on Yahoo "Kid gets bullied out of school" (http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/stopthepresses/392244/rebecca-black-pulled-from-school-due-to-bullying/)

It features a kid who created a Youtube vid that got a bazillion hits.

guess that was too much success for her friends to handle

The online anti-Rebecca comments became so violent at one point the FBI became involved when Black started receiving death threats. But now that the bullying has branched off the internet and into her real life, Black has been forced to act. [her mother pulled her out of school to be home schooled]

You know what's funny. I wonder if any of those kids ever watched Entourage on HBO.

Entourage is a show about a guy who goes to hollywood, becomes a mega celebrity, and brings his childhood friends along with them and they all enjoy the lifestyle and success.

Think about it, how could having a best friend mega-star be a bad thing?

Anyways, kids are cruel monkeys.

Such a shame, this girl did not deserve this.

Mel...

Opty
08-11-2011, 04:00 AM
It got a bajillion hits because it was so god awful. It was a viral joke becoming the most "disliked" video on youtube...the laughing stock of the internet for about a month or two earlier this year. She got success, yeah, but it infamy; she got well-known for being really, really bad at what she does.

But, like "the world's ugliest dog" or some other weird side-show phenomenon, after the laughter died down, some people thought her lack of talent was somewhat endearing, so now she's moving on to bigger things. Pop fame is all about image, studio tricks, and autotune, so she'll likely be around for a while now that she's somewhat infamous.

The power of the internet...can turn a nasally, untalented kid into a pop culture name.

As to the bullying, it's sad. Some people can be horrible wastes of oxygen sometimes. It sucks that it came to that but her parents who paid for all of this (and I'm assuming she has an agent) had to have known there'd be a backlash, or at least complications, due to how badly her song was received and the initial negative attention she garnered.

They should've pulled her out of school months ago. Their poor judgment shares some blame here, but it's mostly the fault of the asshole bullies at her school

Celia Cyanide
08-11-2011, 04:10 AM
You know what's funny. I wonder if any of those kids ever watched Entourage on HBO.

Entourage is a show about a guy who goes to hollywood, becomes a mega celebrity, and brings his childhood friends along with them and they all enjoy the lifestyle and success.

Think about it, how could having a best friend mega-star be a bad thing?

I'm sorry, but what does Entourage has to do with any of this? They should be nice to her because she is famous?

This little girl did not get a recording contract. Her mother paid for the recording and the filming of the video. It was a vanity project. Sad about the bullying, but not smart on her part.

Zoombie
08-11-2011, 04:11 AM
...but...

But I unironically really enjoyed Friday...

And it's awesome Starcraft 2 based spoof. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzq2O54LLIw)

DancingMaenid
08-11-2011, 05:31 AM
This little girl did not get a recording contract. Her mother paid for the recording and the filming of the video. It was a vanity project. Sad about the bullying, but not smart on her part.

And I think things like this are a good example of why it's often best to slowly work your way up to things like this, and approach vanity projects carefully. There are some great child prodigies out there who do deserve attention, but most people need time to develop their skills, and most people's early attempts at something aren't anything special. I wrote some horrendous stories when I was Rebecca Black's age, but they never got much readership beyond my parents and a few friends.

I don't know a lot about how Black's video became the sensation it did. On the one hand, I think if someone wants to spend money on a vanity music video project just for fun, and post it to YouTube for their friends and family, there's nothing wrong with that. But I also think that when your attempt looks like it's supposed to be professional, people are going to be much more likely to criticize it if it's not professional quality.

In any case, there's no excuse for the bullying and I think it's really sad she's been going through this.

Bracken
08-11-2011, 09:28 AM

It's never "smart" for a middle schooler to do something which sets him or her apart from the crowd. It makes him or her an automatic target.
It is the primal instinct of children to follow a herd mentality. That's how they stayed safe for thousands of years; those who stood out or drew the attention of predators potentially put the entire herd at risk (so the others tended to turn on them and tear them apart).
The instinct is still there; the only thing that's changed is that we're no longer being chased by lions across the veldt, with only sharpened sticks for protection.
Of course, if somebody hadn't stood apart from the crowd and tried something different, we probably still would be.

Celia Cyanide
08-11-2011, 09:40 AM
It's never "smart" for a middle schooler to do something which sets him or her apart from the crowd.

Sorry, she is not standing out from the crowd. She is singing a crappy mainstream pop song and not showing an impressive vocal range or talent. It's nothing unique or special. Any kid her age could have done this if her mom had bought the opportunity.

When I said "not smart on her part" I meant her mother. Buying a shortcut to success in the music world is not smart.

dgiharris
08-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Sorry, she is not standing out from the crowd. She is singing a crappy mainstream pop song and not showing an impressive vocal range or talent. It's nothing unique or special. Any kid her age could have done this if her mom had bought the opportunity.

When I said "not smart on her part" I meant her mother. Buying a shortcut to success in the music world is not smart.

Not trying to be snarky, but I really don't understand where your resistance is coming from.

As if we need the music industry to only reward those with merit and talent. That is not reality, the reality is that there are a lot of paths to stardom to include: being a no talent hack that is pretty, nepotism, couch interviews, etc. etc.

The mother's actions in this case are hardly a crime.

Seriously, WTF am I missing here?

We're talking about an industry where most songs are lip synced and autotuned to death anyways.

Mel...

indiriverflow
08-11-2011, 11:59 AM
I went in with an open mind, and I admit to loathing all teen-oriented pop, but that is the suckiest thing I have seen in a good long while. Sorry Rebecca, but you are not ready for prime time. Nor is the "production company" that inflicted this on the world. Even on mute, that video is an eyesore.

Those lyrics are vapid and horrid, even allowing for the age of the "artist". Not to be a hater, but I seriously could not stop laughing. How did she sing that trash without busting a gut?

The only talent I saw in the video was the rapper toward the end. He isn't bad, and I am not a huge fan of rap. The contrast makes him look like a genius, however.

If I went to school with her, I would mock her smug, superficial display of empty-headed triviality as well. If that makes me cruel, so be it. This video is a crime against music. If it had been kept as a private curiosity for her family, I would have no complaint. I would in fact never heard of it. If it had been found and disseminated against her will, I would be sympathetic. But she released this, and is reaping the benefits as well as the humiliation. Only the latter is well-deserved.

Celia Cyanide
08-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Not trying to be snarky, but I really don't understand where your resistance is coming from.

resistance to what, exactly?

The mother's actions in this case are hardly a crime.

Did I say it was a crime? No. I said it was stupid. The woman decides her daughter should be a singer and instead of giving her voice lessons or putting her in choir, she buys a short cut--pays someone to write a song for her daughter to sing and make a video for her. Did she just expect everyone to love it? They don't, and now her daughter, who isn't even old enough to know any better, is being made fun of for it. Basically, it backfired. I think it is unfortunate that she is bullied. But I think it is unfortunate when anyone is. This girl, however, probably would not be if her mother hadnt done this.

We're talking about an industry where most songs are lip synced and autotuned to death anyways.

Not the music I listen to.

Zoombie
08-11-2011, 12:12 PM
...am I really the only one who unironically enjoyed that song?

It was catchy!

dgiharris
08-11-2011, 12:20 PM
"backfired"

backfired implies an intentional act to decieve and I guess I just don't see it that way.

What's wrong with putting together your own video, especially in this youtube age?

What's wrong with thinking you have a one hit wonder. I mean, seriously, do i need to make a list of all the stupid songs and no talent hacks that have a 1-hit wonder or became an internet sensation?

I guess I'm just old, I don't see this as being a big enough deal for her to be teased.

Not saying you are defending the teasers or condoning their actions.

Mel...

Opty
08-11-2011, 12:21 PM
I went in with an open mind, and I admit to loathing all teen-oriented pop, but that is the suckiest thing I have seen in a good long while. Sorry Rebecca, but you are not ready for prime time. Nor is the "production company" that inflicted this on the world.

Those lyrics are vapid and horrid, even allowing for the age of the "artist". Not to be a hater, but I seriously could not stop laughing. How did she sing that trash without busting a gut?

The only talent I saw in the video was the rapper toward the end. He isn't bad, and I am not a huge fan of rap. The contrast makes him look like a genius, however.

If I went to school with her, I would mock her smug, superficial display of empty-headed triviality as well. If that makes me cruel, so be it. This video is a crime against music. If it had been kept as a private curiosity for her family, I would have no complaint. I would in fact never heard of it. If it had been found and disseminated against her will, I would be sympathetic. But she released this, and is reaping the benefits as well as the humiliation. Only the latter is well-deserved.
That's more than a bit harsh. No one deserves to be bullied. She's a kid. She was chasing a dream. I'll cut her a little slack for that, but very little.

She's, unfortunately, a product of the recent vapid, self-centered drivel that kids are fed from a lot of their TV shows and kid-oriented marketing. The Bratz Dolls, for instance, are a perfect example, and they are an abhorrent creation. Hannah Montana, is another example (and pox on our culture). Kids are led to believe that it's okay to be superficial brats and that they should strive to be famous.

When I was a kid, I watched Doogie Howser, MD. When I watched that, I dreamed of what it'd be like to be a doctor. Kids these days watch bullshit like Hannah Montana. If you ask many of them what they'd like to be, they'll say "famous."

So, it's no wonder that young, absolutely talentless Rebecca thought that she should purse a life of fame. She was likely deluded by the media she digested as well as her parents (seems like it was mainly her mom) to believe that not only was she talented, but that she deserved to be famous.

Rather than doing the responsible, good parent thing and telling her talentless child that she should concentrate on school and save the stardom-seeking for after graduation, her mother, instead, decided to indulge her child's delusions and buy her fame by paying this company to make her kid a star.

The result? Her kid became famous, sort of, for being really, really bad. Like, monumentally horrible. Thus, she's gotten ridiculed all over the internet, TV, radio, and also at school. That's a shitty thing for anyone, especially a kid, to have to go through.

So, I mostly blame the mother for this situation. She seems, from what I've read, to be a bit like those crazy moms from the "Pageant Mom" shows. And, for all I know, Rebecca is a bit of a drama queen and is exaggerating the bullying just to get out of school and focus more on her "career." I can't be sure but it does seem suspicious to me that her 15 minutes seemed to be over and now this story and her TV interview come out which, coincidentally, coincide with her releasing a new album.

Sad that some kids/people become obsessed with being famous. Even more sad when their parents see them as a gravy train and indulge those delusions and try to BUY that fame.

Having said all that, I still don't condone the actions of the bullies, but her mother is partially to blame for creating this monster and then putting her child in such a contentious environment.

ETA: Just realized that I wrote "coincidentally coincides" and, as grammatically shameful as that is, I haven't been able to figure out how to reword my way out of it.

kuwisdelu
08-11-2011, 12:25 PM
"backfired"

backfired implies an intentional act to decieve

Huh? Since when?

In my dictionary it only means an undesirable, unexpected, and opposite effect from what was intended.

Celia Cyanide
08-11-2011, 12:42 PM
"backfired"

backfired implies an intentional act to decieve and I guess I just don't see it that way.

That isnt really what I meant to imply. I just meant that the mother seemed to think that spending all this money on a song and video would make her daughter the next Britney Spears, and instead she turned into the next Chris Crocker.

What's wrong with putting together your own video, especially in this youtube age?

None of this was her own. Her mother hired someone else to do all of it. Write the song, and make the video.

I guess I'm just old, I don't see this as being a big enough deal for her to be teased.

This is why I think she is probably being teased...kids, especially high school age kids, are passionate about things like music. They passionately love their favorites and passionately hate what they don't enjoy. When I was that age, bad music was a big deal. Justin Beiber is not that talented, and he gets made fun of, but the difference is, he is also very successful, and has a lot of people who like his music and think he's cool. She doesn't really have that. He made a lot of money getting where he is today, while her mom spent a lot to get there. In my opinion, it was just not smart of her mom to try and put her out there like that. When you have no eye for talent or marketability, you're just making your kid vulnerable to negative attention.

I am with Opty, though. I think her parents are probably pulling her out of school to concentrate on her "career" for the same reason they bought her the song--so that she can live in her own little world and pretend she has one.

indiriverflow
08-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Wait a second. They bought these lyrics? I missed that part. I assumed that she had written them herself. Some third party was actually paid for that garbage? Someone who is older than fourteen?

Man, am I in the wrong business.

Indi, who carefully considers each syllable and gives lyrics for free to jam bands just for the pleasure of hearing them performed.

Did I say it was a crime? No. They don't, and now her daughter, who isn't even old enough to know any better, is being made fun of for it.

I said it was a crime, and I stand by it. An assault on my ears and eyes. And fourteen years old is not "too young to know better". I was fourteen once, and my poetry wasn't great, but it was a damn sight better than this, and I knew when I was ridiculous.

She sang this crap, with that goofy smile on her face, and in my world, she should never live it down. Maybe if we stop pretending that adolescents are incapable of understanding the world, they will stop sinking to our lowered expectations.

I've known a lot of teenagers--hell, I've met seven year olds--who show better judgment and intelligence than this.

She doesn't deserve jail, but mockery...hell yeah. For the sake of helping to eliminate this lame mentality from the culture.

Fourteen year olds are adults, biologically and historically. The idea that they are not is an invention of the past couple centuries. If we stop infantilizing teenagers and acting like they are to be forgiven their idiocies, maybe they will stop being idiots so often.

crunchyblanket
08-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Look. I feel bad for this girl. I'm knackered so I can't quite articulate what I want to say but - she's just following the dream set up for young girls, the 'get famous quick', the 'be a pop star', and yes, the song is abysmal - no doubt about it - but we have to question whether she'd have done it at all if society wasn't so bloody fame-obsessed, if celebrity wasn't considered an aspirational lifestyle.

Don
08-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Parents throughout history have thought their children 'special.' It's what keeps them from drowning them at birth.

The democratization of the performing arts means that parents can now be disabused of that notion internationally, and almost overnight, by posting their 'special' child's performance on the internet, for as little as the cost of a webcam.

Before, they had to save up tens of thousands of dollars and send their kid off to some gatekeeper in Hollywood who would tell them they were terrible.

Seems like progress to me. Momma saved the shitload of money she would have spent raising this kid for a dead-end career in show biz.

Cranky
08-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Wait a second. They bought these lyrics? I missed that part. I assumed that she had written them herself. Some third party was actually paid for that garbage? Someone who is older than fourteen?

Indi, who carefully considers each syllable and gives lyrics for free to jam bands just for the pleasure of hearing them performed.

I said it was a crime, and I stand by it. An assault on my ears and eyes. And fourteen years old is not "too young to know better". I was fourteen once, and my poetry wasn't great, but it was a damn sight better than this, and I knew when I was ridiculous.

She sang this crap, with that goofy smile on her face, and in my world, she should never live it down. Maybe if we stop pretending that adolescents are incapable of understanding the world, they will stop sinking to our lowered expectations.

I've known a lot of teenagers--hell, I've met seven year olds--who show better judgment and intelligence than this.

She doesn't deserve jail, but mockery...hell yeah. For the sake of helping to eliminate this lame mentality from the culture.

Fourteen year olds are adults, biologically and historically. The idea that they are not is an invention of the past couple centuries. If we stop infantilizing teenagers and acting like they are to be forgiven their idiocies, maybe they will stop being idiots so often.

I dunno, Indi. I'm pretty damn glad people forgave me for my idiocies when I was fourteen. I mean, they're teenagers. They do tend to grow out of it. Mostly.

Cranky,
who had her walls plastered with pictures of NKOTB

Jcomp
08-11-2011, 07:13 PM
"When I walk by, they'll start singing 'Friday' in a really nasally voice," she tells ABC (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/SIG=13l1q27ve/**http%3A//abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/rebecca-black-youtube-sensation-turned-award-winning-pop/story%3Fid=14264051). "Or, you know, they'll be like, 'Oh hey, Rebecca, guess what day it is?'"

I'm sorry, that does not constitute bullying. That's minor-league teasing. That's fucking weak sauce. This isn't a case of getting "bullied out of high school." This is a case of dropping out to pursue a career that she and her folks better hope miraculously turns into something genuinely lucrative before she becomes another Lindsay Lohan. Which is within their right, but to frame it as being in any way a result of "bullying"--at least based on what that article gives us--is total bullshit.

Xelebes
08-11-2011, 07:13 PM

Bob Dylan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrtv1fQOBZg) sang the original with a highly facetious tone. Seems Rebecca completely flopped on it.

Jcomp
08-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Before, they had to save up tens of thousands of dollars and send their kid off to some gatekeeper in Hollywood who would tell them they were terrible.

Seems like progress to me. Momma saved the shitload of money she would have spent raising this kid for a dead-end career in show biz.

Nah, they still have to shell out thousands of dollars on the video. Then there's apparently some sort of tour she's going on and management, promoters and / or labels always recoup any advance money one way or another. Especially on an unproven, inconsistent commodity. So it's pretty much same song, different mic....

indiriverflow
08-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Bob Dylan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrtv1fQOBZg) sang the original with a highly facetious tone. Seems Rebecca completely flopped on it.

I have tremendous respect for Bob, but he sure did come out with some turds. I used to think "Gotta Serve Somebody" was the worst, but this is my new least favorite song.http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Still, it doesn't sound so bad this way. Maybe I'm just used to the patented Dylan nasal rap.

Whoever did this version has a future working retirement homes and bingo halls in San Francisco.

Calla Lily
08-11-2011, 07:46 PM
I dunno, Indi. I'm pretty damn glad people forgave me for my idiocies when I was fourteen. I mean, they're teenagers. They do tend to grow out of it. Mostly.

Cranky,
who had her walls plastered with pictures of NKOTB

David Cassidy and Ted Neely. :e2paperba

Same here, Cranky. Although when I was 14, my parents' enabling was limited to driving me to local theater classes, and then auditions. It took awhile, but I learned how to act and then landed roles. Small at first, then bigger, as I refined my skills.

I guess that's the step skipped here--voice lessons to see if she really had what it takes.

Cranky
08-11-2011, 07:57 PM
David Cassidy and Ted Neely. :e2paperba

Same here, Cranky. Although when I was 14, my parents' enabling was limited to driving me to local theater classes, and then auditions. It took awhile, but I learned how to act and then landed roles. Small at first, then bigger, as I refined my skills.

I guess that's the step skipped here--voice lessons to see if she really had what it takes.

Yeah, let's not discuss my various short stories and novel attempts at that age. *groans* I am so glad nothing of them remains to embarrass me now. :D

But yeah, I'm thinking that skipping the voice lessons did Rebecca Black no favors. Not sure taking them would've helped, though. Mythbusters proved you actually *can* polish a turd into something shiny, but it's still a turd. If you can't sing (I can't), then you just can't, lessons or no. A man (or woman) has got to know their limitations.

Sheryl Nantus
08-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Wasn't there a story awhile ago about some parents allowing their kid to drop out of school to play "Guitar Hero" 24/7?

Wonder how that's working out...

;)

Calla Lily
08-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Yeah, let's not discuss my various short stories and novel attempts at that age. *groans* I am so glad nothing of them remains to embarrass me now. :D

But yeah, I'm thinking that skipping the voice lessons did Rebecca Black no favors. Not sure taking them would've helped, though. Mythbusters proved you actually *can* polish a turd into something shiny, but it's still a turd. If you can't sing (I can't), then you just can't, lessons or no. A man (or woman) has got to know their limitations.
There's a reason none of my early attempts at novel writing survived. It's called a shredder. :tongue

Acting lessons and local theater roles did indeed teach me my limitations. I faced the truth that I'm good enough for the amateur stage, but didn't have the chops to go pro. That hurt, but at least I didn't waste my life waiting tables in NYC trying for the break that would never come.

So I returned my focus to writing. I think it's working out okay. :D

Sophia
08-11-2011, 08:15 PM

Slightly off-topic, but the "Bob Dylan" version is a spoof (albeit a superb one - I like listening to it! :D ) by musician Mike Bauer (http://www.youtube.com/user/HeyMikeBauer).

fireluxlou
08-11-2011, 08:15 PM
I don't get the hate towards her, she's a nice girl. No need to be mean just because she made a bad song.

Celia Cyanide
08-11-2011, 11:12 PM
I'm sorry, that does not constitute bullying. That's minor-league teasing. That's fucking weak sauce. This isn't a case of getting "bullied out of high school." This is a case of dropping out to pursue a career that she and her folks better hope miraculously turns into something genuinely lucrative before she becomes another Lindsay Lohan. Which is within their right, but to frame it as being in any way a result of "bullying"--at least based on what that article gives us--is total bullshit.

I have to agree. I got a lot worse than that when I was in school.

Really, this whole thing reminds me of the rich kids whose parents used to go to PTA meetings and throw their weight around so their kids could always have their way. There was this rich girl at my school who wasn't very smart, and her mom tried to get the gifted and talented program taken away because her daughter couldn't be in it.

robeiae
08-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Plus, school is not actually in session right now. Right?

As to the vid, it's not my cup of tea, but it's not THAT bad. Some of the crap by Disney/Nick "bands" is far worse, imo.

Devil Ledbetter
08-11-2011, 11:29 PM
"When I walk by, they'll start singing 'Friday' in a really nasally voice," she tells ABC. "Or, you know, they'll be like, 'Oh hey, Rebecca, guess what day it is?'"
I'm sorry, that does not constitute bullying. That's minor-league teasing. That's fucking weak sauce. This isn't a case of getting "bullied out of high school." This is a case of dropping out to pursue a career that she and her folks better hope miraculously turns into something genuinely lucrative before she becomes another Lindsay Lohan. Which is within their right, but to frame it as being in any way a result of "bullying"--at least based on what that article gives us--is total bullshit.Agreed. She certainly sang "Friday" in a really nasally voice, yet no one accused her of bullying for doing so.

Some people want loads of attention. Then when they do something that nets them loads of attention, they whine and cry because it's not the kind of attention they were hoping for.

Xelebes
08-11-2011, 11:30 PM

As to the vid, it's not my cup of tea, but it's not THAT bad. Some of the crap by Disney/Nick "bands" is far worse, imo.

Next you're going to say that Jan Terri (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLqvQUoxLFI) has only slight problems with her stage presence.

Roger J Carlson
08-11-2011, 11:32 PM
I have to agree. I got a lot worse than that when I was in school.

Well, really Celia. You're hardly typical. I have trouble seeing anyone intimidate you under any circumstances. ;)

But simple teasing, if unrelenting, can be as damaging to some teenagers as physical abuse. That "suck it up and take it" attitude is behind many of the school schooting incidents.

Mello Matsuri
08-11-2011, 11:36 PM
I actually thought the song was catchy. Not good, but catchy. Catchier than anything Beiber's made, that's for sure. Friday, Friday, Fridayyy...

Ironic, considering that Rebecca Black herself is a Belieber...

No matter how much of a disgrace her song was, she didn't deserve the bullying. I've seen some of the comments on her youTube video. Sure, she probably knew everyone wasn't going to like it, but when someone comments that they wish you would start cutting yourself and get an eating disorder, the thickest skin won't work against that. You're still going to feel bad, and hurt. People can be so sick sometimes.

I don't think her parents pulled her out just so she could become the next Lindsay Lohan. I think they pulled her out because people were threatening to kill their kid. Over what? A stupid song? Humans can be very sad creatures sometimes. I feel sorry for her. Even if the bullying wasn't that bad, should anyone have to deal with any bullying, no matter if it is deemed "not so bad" by others?

I can't believe it's even being contemplated by some (not here, on other threads) over whether or not she deserved what she got. She sang a song. She posted the video on youTube. LET US BURN HER ALIIIIIIIVE!

This is probably because I'm naive, but just because she's not all that great of a singer I don't think it means she's a bad person. Why not just be satisfied with pointing out her auto-tuned voice, or the repetitive lyrics? Why start insulting her and/or picking on her? I just don't understand it.

It's not even that's she's just a kid. It's that she's a human being, like the rest of us...

dgiharris
08-11-2011, 11:40 PM

I agree, I just don't see this as all that bad.

When the song "Hey Mickey" was made, every single person at the record label swore up and down the song would be the biggest flop in the history of flops...

But, the artist believed in the song and her vision and pushed until the label said, "Fine, make a fool out of yourself"

and that song is one of the biggest one hit wonders of all time.

And saying that "When I was 14 I would have never made this mistake."

really? okay, fine, you are awesome. But what about the AVERAGE 14 year old?

Have you seen the contestants at American Idol auditions??? Not only are they a lot older, but many of them are worse than her but believe they have talent.

Imagine the literary equivalent of this. You write a story, pay a self publisher for 100 copies because you are sure its going to be the next great american novel. You then pass out your book to all your friends (and post it online), and then they laugh at you because its so bad and full of all the typical newbie mistakes. They forward it to everyone and everyone shares a good laugh at your expense citing that as a 14 yr old you should have known better--after all pick up any book at Barnes and Nobles and it should be OBVIOUS how bad your book is right???

This is equivalent; writing, music, art, etc. its all the same. When you are the one creating a "piece" it is easy to be blind to any mistakes.

Mel...

mirandashell
08-11-2011, 11:41 PM
If you put anything on the internet, you are opening yourself up to all the nutters to have a go. If she's fourteen and has used the internet, she should know that. And so should her parents.

I'm not condoning it but lets not get carried away here.

robeiae
08-11-2011, 11:42 PM
I friggin' LOVE Hey Mickey...

Sheryl Nantus
08-12-2011, 12:04 AM

oooh... hadn't even thought about that one.

an attempt to grab more media and more headlines, perhaps?

either way, the parents have grossly failed their child here. Even if at 14 you figure you're a singing genius it's your parents' job to keep you grounded.

... again, back to the Guitar Hero kid. Kids can and will make bad decisions - but it's supposed to be up to the adults to keep them out of hot water.

sounds like another vain attempt to grab more headlines before the school year starts - and she heads for Hollywood with dreams of stardom.

... and her parents, of early retirement.

:(

robeiae
08-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Well, I don't know that her parents have truly failed her, and I don't know she has no future in the music business. And I can't really see how this situation is about bullying.

But what is clear to me: kids can be needlessly cruel...as can adults. Shocking, I know.

Roger J Carlson
08-12-2011, 12:13 AM
But what is clear to me: kids can be needlessly cruel...as can adults. Shocking, I know.Is that an apology?

I accept.

Don
08-12-2011, 12:15 AM
Agreed. She certainly sang "Friday" in a really nasally voice, yet no one accused her of bullying for doing so.

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

:Trophy:

[/lock thread]

bettielee
08-12-2011, 12:27 AM
The thing about her complaining about this: just reason #489 why Rebecca Black doesn't have what it takes to be famous

Most child actors/stars are teased and bullied - as they are when they grow and become adults, except the teasing and bullying is the media/tabloids. It's par for the course, and I think the great ones deal with it with grace. Or they punch out photographers.

Sadly, if you want the fame and fortune, you gotta put up with a bunch of a##holes. That's the way its been since the gladiators.

Celia Cyanide
08-12-2011, 12:33 AM
I don't think her parents pulled her out just so she could become the next Lindsay Lohan. I think they pulled her out because people were threatening to kill their kid. Over what? A stupid song?

Except that isn't what her parents said. They said they pulled her out of school because of what was happening at school. Not the youtube comments. People who make death threats are stupid, and youtube trolls are a waste of space, but her parents are not claiming they are taking her out of school because of cyberbullying.

I feel sorry for her. Even if the bullying wasn't that bad, should anyone have to deal with any bullying, no matter if it is deemed "not so bad" by others?

It's not that I consider the bullying "not that bad." It is that I don't really consider it bullying.

Celia Cyanide
08-12-2011, 12:41 AM
Imagine the literary equivalent of this. You write a story, pay a self publisher for 100 copies because you are sure its going to be the next great american novel. You then pass out your book to all your friends (and post it online), and then they laugh at you because its so bad and full of all the typical newbie mistakes. They forward it to everyone and everyone shares a good laugh at your expense citing that as a 14 yr old you should have known better--after all pick up any book at Barnes and Nobles and it should be OBVIOUS how bad your book is right???

It happens to PublishAmerica authors all the time. They think they are really published, and many of them don't know that PA is a vanity press. Sadly, many of them are robbed of the opportunity to get rejected and learn from their mistakes and become better writers.

And for the record, I never said she should know better as a 14 year old. I said her parents should. As a 14 year old, it's perfectly normal to think, "I want to sing, therefore, I must be an amazing singer, and I deserve to be a superstar." Her parents could have given her music lessons. Maybe she could have learned to sing and write her own songs, or maybe she would have realized that music was not for her and found something else she was good at.

Celia Cyanide
08-12-2011, 12:47 AM
Well, really Celia. You're hardly typical. I have trouble seeing anyone intimidate you under any circumstances. ;)

ha! You never knew me in high school!

But simple teasing, if unrelenting, can be as damaging to some teenagers as physical abuse. That "suck it up and take it" attitude is behind many of the school schooting incidents.

Well, yes, and it is their prerogative to home school their child for any reason. But I don't think it's unheard of for kids to make fun of songs they don't like. I don't think the kids are all that mean.

robeiae
08-12-2011, 12:49 AM
I just can't see how the song is that bad. I'd bet dollars to donuts that some kids--who initially thought the song was okay--switched over to mocking her and the song because "cooler" kids said the song sucked. 'Tis the way of things...

Devil Ledbetter
08-12-2011, 01:09 AM
I just can't see how the song is that bad. I'd bet dollars to donuts that some kids--who initially thought the song was okay--switched over to mocking her and the song because "cooler" kids said the song sucked. 'Tis the way of things...I read, or maybe saw an interview, somewhere, ages ago, about Christina Aguilara's high school experience. She was ostracized for her fame. When her hit song was spun at a school dance, everyone fled the dance floor. And whether one is a fan of Aguilara's or not, it's hard to argue any lack of talent there. The girl's got serious pipes.

What the far less talented Rebecca Black experienced was no worse, it seems. I think it's less about talent or lackthereoff, and more about the other kids wanting to put her in her place for the crime of breaking out of the pack and gaining notoriety.

I don't think Black's parents failed her*. Her name is now a household word. Everyone knows Friday. So she's suffered a little teasing in exchange for her 15 minutes of fame. Boo hoo.

*Except maybe by yanking her out of school instead of telling her to grow a thicker skin. Not everyone is going to love us, and understanding that is a fundamental lesson in happiness.

Jcomp
08-12-2011, 01:21 AM
I read, or maybe saw an interview, somewhere, ages ago, about Christina Aguilara's high school experience. She was ostracized for her fame. When her hit song was spun at a school dance, everyone fled the dance floor. And whether one is a fan of Aguilara's or not, it's hard to argue any lack of talent there. The girl's got serious pipes.

What the far less talented Rebecca Black experienced was no worse, it seems. I think it's less about talent or lackthereoff, and more about the other kids wanting to put her in her place for the crime of breaking out of the pack and gaining notoriety.

I don't think Black's parents failed her*. Her name is now a household word. Everyone knows Friday. So she's suffered a little teasing in exchange for her 15 minutes of fame. Boo hoo.

*Except maybe by yanking her out of school instead of telling her to grow a thicker skin. Not everyone is going to love us, and understanding that is a fundamental lesson in happiness.

Hell, I got teased in junior high because some little essay I wrote was published in the local newspaper. Point being, even incredibly minor, paltry "successes" such as that can get punished by peers at that age with auto-pilot teasing. If a kid can't put up with being generally made fun of over a song they sang without leaving school or shooting the joint up, I'd say that has more to do with that kid than the "bullies."

Beyond that, however, I don't really think this is at all about the teasing. That's just an angle to gain sympathy and fans. It's a marketing strategy, and I can't even hate on that, but no one should actually fall for that bullshit in any meaningful way. She's going on a tour because there's no way her music's going to just move units on its own, especially in the current musical climate, and especially when it's free to listen to through youtube anyways.

Right now she's garnered money as a novelty. She's not even a "one-hit wonder" because her one song isn't actually a "hit." It's an object of ridicule that inadvertently garnered enough attention for her to turn a profit off of the rabid, irrational "hatred" for it. So good for her in that regard. But, she's a modern Julia A. Moore, and if she wants to turn that into any semblance of an entertainment career, she has to get out into the world to garner fans by being in people's faces, because the music isn't going to catch on by itself.

So to recap, this has zero to do with bullying and everything to do with her needing to get out and tour for any chance to capitalize off this attention.

Williebee
08-12-2011, 01:35 AM
The JComp, wisdom he has. yeessss.

ETA: Reading back, somewhere in five words my Yoda turned into Gollum. *snerk*

Celia Cyanide
08-12-2011, 01:54 AM
I read, or maybe saw an interview, somewhere, ages ago, about Christina Aguilara's high school experience. She was ostracized for her fame. When her hit song was spun at a school dance, everyone fled the dance floor. And whether one is a fan of Aguilara's or not, it's hard to argue any lack of talent there. The girl's got serious pipes.

I agree. I think it is a very important lesson that not everyone is going to like us, and that success comes with hard work. There are some pretty untalented people in the music business, but the ones who are still successful work hard. Rebecca Black is not successful, and it seems her parents are allowing her to keep pretending she is.

CaseyMack
08-12-2011, 02:01 AM
I think Elton (sorry, Sir Elton) John sized it up pretty well:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/8071167/Sir-Elton-John-claims-todays-music-all-sounds-the-same.html

Ms. Black may not exactly "sound the same," but she's an example of how the music business leans less on duly refined talent and more on gimmickry and image.

Opty
08-12-2011, 02:03 AM
Glad to see everyone's agreeing with me.

[/Lock Thread]

Opty
08-12-2011, 02:18 AM
Seriously, though, the bullying in situations like this one reminds me of some astute, if not disheartening, advice my dad once gave me:

"Your friends will always want you to be successful...just not more successful than them."

Celia Cyanide
08-12-2011, 02:25 AM
Ms. Black may not exactly "sound the same," but she's an example of how the music business leans less on duly refined talent and more on gimmickry and image.

To be honest, I don't think she has much to do with "the music business."

Bracken
08-12-2011, 04:05 AM
It's not much different from a girl I knew as a teenager, whose parents paid for her to have professional photos taken for a modeling portfolio. She wasn't especially attractive, and- in the time I knew her, at least- she never got anywhere in particular with her "modeling career"... but she really, really wanted to be a model. So I guess her parents wanted to at least give her that chance. And it made her feel good about herself just to have that portfolio of flattering shots.

CaseyMack
08-12-2011, 04:29 AM
To be honest, I don't think she has much to do with "the music business."

What I am getting at is that people try novel tactics (rather than honing actual talent) because the "music business" seems to respond to that nowadays.

Are you familiar with "Emergenza"? That's a good one...

Devil Ledbetter
08-12-2011, 04:31 AM
What I am getting at is that people try novel tactics (rather than honing actual talent) because the "music business" seems to respond to that nowadays.

Are you familiar with "Emergenza"? That's a good one...I doubt that a parent-funded music video going viral (whether because it was "catchy" or cringe-worthy) is any reflection on the music business.

bettielee
08-12-2011, 04:54 AM
It's not much different from a girl I knew as a teenager, whose parents paid for her to have professional photos taken for a modeling portfolio. She wasn't especially attractive, and- in the time I knew her, at least- she never got anywhere in particular with her "modeling career"... but she really, really wanted to be a model. So I guess her parents wanted to at least give her that chance. And it made her feel good about herself just to have that portfolio of flattering shots.

I remember seeing something with a woman who was out of her mind delusional - kept going on about her pet being a world famous "model" and all about this big photoshoot. She had all these photos of her cat in costumes and said she was in demand all over the world. Of course, I never saw any products in the photo. It was all explained when she got to the "photoshoot"

The woman just dressed her cat up and paid for the photos. ????

Celia Cyanide
08-12-2011, 08:20 AM

Except, that IS different, because if you want to start a modeling career, that IS that way you go about it. You pay to have professional shots done, and you start building your portfolio. That is how I got started modeling. She may have not had the potential to be a model, which is probably why she never got anywhere with it. But if you want to get started modeling, that is how to start a portfolio. It's not considered a vanity project.

Roger J Carlson
08-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Seriously, though, the bullying in situations like this one reminds me of some astute, if not disheartening, advice my dad once gave me:

"Your friends will always want you to be successful...just not more successful than them."Which applies to fellow writers as well.

Opty
08-13-2011, 01:15 AM
Yeah, the point was that it kind of applies to everybody.

CaseyMack
08-13-2011, 09:56 PM
I doubt that a parent-funded music video going viral (whether because it was "catchy" or cringe-worthy) is any reflection on the music business.

She says she's dedicated to of establishing a career in music. She (and/or her parents) must have been aware that the industry's Artists and Repertory people spend plenty of time cruising Youtube looking for the latest "sensation." Spending the money to make and upload that video seems consistent with getting her "noticed" by the industry. Talent or not, she certainly has "name recognition" now.

rhymegirl
08-15-2011, 11:56 PM
I had to listen to the video first in order to make a comment.

Now that I have--

I think it's a stupid song and she doesn't have much of a voice.

Think about this: After Susan Boyle came out and sang for the judges and audience on Britain's Got Talent and showed them what a great voice she has, she got lots of Youtube hits (millions, I guess?) because people wanted to hear this wonderful voice.

If people clicked on Rebecca Black's "Friday" video because they'd heard it was stupid/silly/bad and just wanted to see and hear it for themselves, that's not the same thing as tuning in because you enjoy a song.

So, the point is both singers might get the same number of Youtube hits for different reasons. Does that mean both are talented? NO.

In a world before Youtube, cell phones, and the like, this teenager would not have been able to gain this kind of exposure. What record label would have signed her?

I think it's unfortunate that she's been the victim of bullying, but let's think about this: Didn't she willingly do the music video? Didn't she draw attention to herself?

When I was about 14, in high school, I wanted as little attention as possible. I was already getting bullied, so going on TV and making a fool of myself would have been--well, I don't even want to think about how bad my life would have been.

Now if someone is truly talented and gets attention, I'd like to think one's peers would be supportive and nice about it.

But then again, teenagers can be fickle.

Bracken
08-16-2011, 04:54 AM
In a world before Youtube, cell phones, and the like, this teenager would not have been able to gain this kind of exposure. What record label would have signed her?

It's actually even worse than that.
There are teens that are "famous" on the internet for doing absolutely nothing, not even attempting to sing or anything.
See "Amor Hilton", "Kiki Kannibal", "Jessie Slaughter", etc.
And you want to talk about cruel?
The way these attention hounds are treated by peers and adults makes Rebecca Black's ordeal look like a picnic.
I'm talkin' death threats, etc.

TerzaRima
08-16-2011, 08:19 AM
It's actually not a bad melody--the hook sounds like something from an old Erasure or OMD hit. It's catchy like a virus, actually. If you had Dave Latham or a decent vocalist singing different lyrics over the background, and you weren't engaged with the fairly vapid visuals, it'd be about a B plus.

Am I the only one who sings, "It's pie day, pie day, gotta make my crust on pie day," when I hear this?