Demand Studios and Clips

cnbrath

shares cookies
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the process of compiling clips. I've often heard that editors don't like Demand Studios (or any other online content mill) clips. However, a series (20+) of my articles for DS appeared on the USA Today website. How would editors perceive this?

A little background - I've been a tech writer for about 15 years, but have usually worked on "sensitive" projects. This means that I have tons of experience, but few writing samples that can be shown. I'm working hard to remedy that (just published an article on a trade website), but I know that generating clips will take some time. Appreciate any feedback you can provide on this!

Thanks!

scorpiodragon

Black belt in awesome
Registered
Reaction score
I think the fact that some of your DS articles have been featured in USA Today will be a plus in your favor. I write articles for DS as well and generally try to choose clips that work best with the type of article my client may want.

I haven't encountered any negative feedback from editors regarding my DS clips usually I mix them with my journalist article clips to show the range of topics I have experience with.

cnbrath

shares cookies
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Scorpiodragon. I'm wary about using my DS clips, but my portfolio is a bit thin, so I might have to. Glad to know that there weren't repercussions for you!

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I've used DS clips and it's never seemed to hurt. I usually include my magazine clips as well, but I don't think the DS stuff hurts if you choose the right times to use it. I did a USA Today project there, too, and have used that a couple of times with only good results, so I say go for it.

cnbrath

shares cookies
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks inkkognito! What you are sharing is a bit different what I've heard. Good to know that I can use some of the DS stuff.