publisher won't pay?

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Here's my situation: I've been writing for a magazine for a year and a half. I have a contract that states payment is two weeks after publication. Sometimes they're late, sometimes not; it's never been a huge deal.

However, they are currently three months behind on payment. Partly this is my fault for not being diligent with my invoicing, but I've never had an issue getting paid once I reminded them.

It turns out the woman who is my editor is in the process of buying the magazine from the current publisher. I sent an invoice yesterday to the accountant and cc'd the editor and the publisher. I received what can only be described as a pathological email from the publisher saying he would not be paying me, he was selling the magazine as-is, debts and all, to the editor and she would pay me eventually. (He also said I "disgust" him and not to step foot on his property, which was bizarre since this is literally the first time we have ever corresponded, I live in a different state, and I only sent a professional invoice noting they were three months past-due. I mean, it was the craziest email I've ever received.)

The editor who will be the owner is desperate for me to contribute to the september issue (I write a good bit of the magazine) and says she'll be able to pay me in the next couple of months. But who knows? She's starting with no money and counting on current advertisers to pull through. I'm worried the magazine is getting sold with bigger issues than she realizes and she won't be able to pay me. On the other hand, I would hate to walk away from what is owed me, I like her, and I feel bad she's inheriting this.

The sale is finalized in two weeks.

So I'm torn between taking the psycho publisher to small claims court, nowish before the sale, or trusting this editor will get me my money within the next couple of months. (It's around $1000)

Wisdom? And has anyone navigated small claims court before? It seems intimidating.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I'd consider taking the publisher to task over his abusive unprofessional language but I doubt you'd get anywhere with that either.

It might be worth consulting a lawyer (a decent one who will give you an honest assessment, this is where having friends in the business is useful...) to see where you stand on this. I suspect he may be right that all the magazine debts, including your invoice, now belong to the new publisher (the former editor) and so a small claims court may not be the most effective method to get what you want. Though talk to a lawyer and see what they say. And mention the abusive tone of the e-mail because that's got to have bearing somewhere.

Her Dark Star

Registered
Reaction score
I''ll second that advice, the situation is too complex for you too know who's liable, where you stand and whats the most likely way for you to get paid. Get some legal advice, I don't know if you have anything like the Citizens Advice Bureau in the US but if so then get a short consultation and they can tell you at least who you should seeking payment from.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
if the sale has not been finalised yet then the current owner is still responsible,. get to your solictor and get them to sort it out. in the UK it's pretty easy to take people through the small claims court to get your money, but I'm not sure how it works in the states.

I would take a copy of the email he sent as well. Do this as soon as possible.

I would also mention to the new owner what you are doing, just in case they aren't aware.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I agree with you guys; it really does seem like a situation for a lawyer, which would probably cost me more than I'm owed unfortunately. (and I don't have a lawyer buddy - need to get one of those!) And to navigate a small claims court in florida on my own when I'd have to fly down from IL just seems like the same story - more expense and hassle than I'm owed. I might just try to work with the new owner and hope she is able to pay me. I really hate letting that guy get away with being such an asshat, but at the end of the day, he's not worth it, especially if I can recoup the money from the new owner. Thanks again for the help.

Oh, and is there like a writer beware or preditors and editors site for magazine publishers you don't want to write for? The least I can do is get this guy's name on some sort of list so other writers don't wind up working for him. He owns three other magazines in addition to the one I write for.

fov

Rattenmonster
Registered
Reaction score
Since the new owner wants you to write for September's issue, you may have some leverage. Why not let her know that you need the $1,000 you were expecting to have been paid by now, and will have to take on other work to make up for it -- which eats into the time you have for her magazine. Maybe when she realizes she'll be up sh*t creek for September without your contributions, she'll figure out a way to pay you more quickly.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
She's starting with no money and counting on current advertisers to pull through. I'm worried the magazine is getting sold with bigger issues than she realizes and she won't be able to pay me. On the other hand, I would hate to walk away from what is owed me, I like her, and I feel bad she's inheriting this.
Okay, you also say you're owed $1,000. A lot of money, really.

I know you like the woman who is buying this publication, but business is business. If she doesn't know what she's getting into (I'm sure she has looked over the books and/or has an attorney), then she shouldn't be taking over the magazine.

Yes, she's nice, but...you are owed for work you did. Writing for her now will just show that all the time you put into your work before doesn't matter.

You have copies of the invoice you sent the guy; have you shown her? She needs to know. She should be looking over the books before she takes over.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, RLB that is a terrible thing for the publisher to act so unprofessional and do that to you. I hope it works out in your favor. Much good luck!

GradyHendrix

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I agree with the poster who said you should use upcoming work as leverage for getting paid for past work. But otherwise, you're going to probably have to write this off.

I've been burned more than once and once in a similar situation and the best thing I did was walk away. It was money owed (and definitely not as much as you were owed) but saving myself the time, misery and headaches I would have encountered pursuing my claim by simply acknowledging the reality that the money would never materialize no matter how right I was or how hard I fought was priceless.

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to throw in my lot with the hard-nosed crowd. This editor wouldn't expect her plumber or doctor to work without being paid in a timely manner. Nor should she expect writers to do so.

I know it's really tempting, especially when you have a prior relationship and things might work out in the future. However, the fact that she can't/won't pay you right now is a HUGE danger sign -- and also speaks poorly of the company's financial stability.

Since she very much wants you to write, I would totally leverage that desire to get whatever money you can from her now. When the rubber hits the road, it's totally possible she'll cough up the full $1,000. If she genuinely cannot, I'd negotiate for as much of that sum as you can.

I'd also keep after the mean guy (in a civil way) as long as he's still the rightful owner who signs the checks. Also, I'd try calling their accounting department if I have one to see what the situation is.