Becoming a Freelance Editor

brian2025

Registered
Reaction score
My mother has to stay at home to take care of her handicapped sister. As such, she cannot work at a normal job.

I am going to have her do an edit on my book because she has always been good at that kind of thing (and likes it too). But she has no special skill set, certification, degree, or background. But it got me thinking...

I bought her a few books and I am wondering what it would take for her to become a freelance editor. Are there any classes, books, training, certifications, etc. that she could obtain? Would this be sufficient, provided she has no experience? Would anyone take her seriously?

I could set up a company and website for her and she could charge a very low rate (say $10/hr) to get some experience. Could this be a viable idea?

Deleted member 42

Well, not really.

But what you might look at instead, if she's interested in writing, is a paid blogging job at Examiner. com or About.com.

Most editors have an educational background that gives them basic skills, but they work their way up. There's a lot involved in editing.

brian2025

Registered
Reaction score
What about even simple copy editing or something along those lines. Basically to just help clean up manuscripts and that sort of thing? I would think that if the price is right, it could still be useful to some poeple. I don't think she would be a fully capable editor, but more like a "checker".

Deleted member 42

To be blunt, no, probably not. Proofing is a skill; professional proofers generally need to demonstrate that they're familiar with proofing practice, including using proofers marks, and some familiarity with the style guides etc. You also take a test.

It's not a thing you just start doing, any more than you hang up a shingle that says Electrician. A lot of people try to do that of course, but it doesn't turn out well for anyone.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of people try to do that of course, but it doesn't turn out well for anyone.

Attested. I've been trying this for a little more than a year. It doesn't work.

I have a working familiarity with the MLA, APA, Chicago, and AP style guides, student experience as an editor, and a website advertising my services.

Almost no one was interested. I decided to generate interest by giving out free samples. This led to me doing a large amount of work without any compensation, and without actually convincing anyone to engage me beyond what I was willing to do for free.

I've had lots and lots of authors ask me if I'd work in exchange for shared profits, shared bylines, etc., but absolutely no interest in exchanging money for editing.

All the established competition is priced about the same as I was, so I decided to cut my rates.

This led to me finally getting a client. It ended in utter disaster. I easily clocked more than 80 hours on in-depth line edits. The authors (a husband and wife team) sold the novel very shortly after engaging me, before I'd finished. They very kindly paid me half of the agreed-upon sum, since I'd obviously worked my behind off on their manuscript, but had nothing to do with their selling it. I ended up making less than $0.25 an hour.

Medievalist is telling you the truth. I'm not sure how to go about establishing myself in a freelancing capacity, but the method you're describing is a sure-fire path to disappointment.

Last edited:

brian2025

Registered
Reaction score
Glad I asked :)

Maybe this is not such a good idea. So is there a way to pick up the skill then? I am finding it hard to be believe the skill cannot be learned via books or other form of training.

But in your opinions, it seems like it is "all or nothing". You are either a real editor or not. There is no room for a semi-pro perhaps.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Well, you don't want to trust your manuscript to a semi-pro. Know what I mean? I want an editor to be an absolute pro before laying one red pencil on my manuscript.

That being said--

One avenue to gaining editing skills--and experience--is to look into some of the smaller epubs and indie presses out there. (Note--I said INDIE press, not VANITY press) Some of those houses hire based off editing tests. She might be able to freelance for a company as a proofer or editor, and thus build up a portfolio and gain work experience and knowledge. Just a suggestion--from an editor.

brian2025

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, that is a pretty good idea. I think you are right that she probably can't just jump right in.

Based on another thread, some people on this board don't even use an editor and just collaborate with other authors. Some people don't want to spend the high cost of an editor, so I thought that she could fill that role. In other words, someone who wants an improvement and is on a limited budget, realizing that they are not getting working with a true editor.

Of course, if there is no market for that, then its not a good thing to get into.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Based on another thread, some people on this board don't even use an editor and just collaborate with other authors.
This sounds like you're talking about the feedback that comes from beta reading. It's not the same as what an editor does.

Some people don't want to spend the high cost of an editor, so I thought that she could fill that role. In other words, someone who wants an improvement and is on a limited budget, realizing that they are not getting working with a true editor.

Of course, if there is no market for that, then its not a good thing to get into.
That's not a good thing to get into, especially if she has no experience. What you're talking about here sounds like development editing, which is much more extensive and involved than copy editing and proofreading.

A lot of editorial experience is gained hands-on via internships. You work your way up, learning more skills as you go. Freelancing is hard to break into to begin with, and the less experience you have, the more difficult it becomes. Editors are hesitant to try out new freelancers because of the unknown factor. If they have a reliable stable of freelancers, they're going to cling to that.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I bought her a few books and I am wondering what it would take for her to become a freelance editor. Are there any classes, books, training, certifications, etc. that she could obtain?

Yes, there are classes in editing, copyediting, and proofreading. Your local colleges may offer those classes. If you're in Canada, there is a national certification program, which is apparently a meaningful credential; the certification programs available in the US are scattered and have little if any heft as a credential, though I do know people who have found the coursework in those programs helpful.

Here's the thing, though. To build a meaningful career as a freelancer in any of the above trades, you need hands-on experience doing the work, which generally means starting with an internship and moving on to an entry-level position. It doesn't sound like that's a possibility for your mom, given her other commitments.

I think Medievalist's suggestion of doing online writing is probably a better fit for your mom's situation. Given her experience as a caregiver, she may have important things to say in those spaces as well!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Some people don't want to spend the high cost of an editor, so I thought that she could fill that role. In other words, someone who wants an improvement and is on a limited budget, realizing that they are not getting working with a true editor.

It takes me (and I've been doing this since dirt was still rocks) at least 40 hours to do even the most half-assed edit of a book manuscript. For your mom to make $10/hour, she'd have to find a clientele from the group of people who don't care about their editor's credentials or experience, but who are still willing to pay $400 and up for her services.

That seems like a shaky foundation for a business to me.

brian2025

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. I don't think it is really viable.

Out of curiosity, what rate do you charge typically? It is all relative. If you are charging $100/hr then $400 is still a lot less than $4,000.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I only got into it after I had a PhD and a number (like 40 or so) of scientific publications as first author in peer-reviewed journals to my credit. I only work on journal articles (I used to do fiction but don't any more) and the great majority of those are from non-native English speakers. I work for a contract service and the pay is much lower than I could get being truly freelance. But, I don't have to bid on orders, I don't have to wrangle with the client, and other headaches are taken care of by the service headquarters, so I don't mind the lower pay.

Short answer: It's not something someone can just start doing except with great luck or having an in somehow.

Deleted member 42

I started editing after my first M.A. degree, and after essentially working my way through a training program under a vicious but brilliant old coot an experience editor.

The pay is not commensurate with the labor, generally.

But I really think it would possibly be good for you mother, and eventually, earn some income, to look into writing for About.com or Examiner. com or some other similar site.

It won't make her rich. I'd suggest care-giving is a potential topic.

But if she keeps at it for at least a few months, she can earn income.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. I don't think it is really viable.

Out of curiosity, what rate do you charge typically? It is all relative. If you are charging $100/hr then $400 is still a lot less than $4,000.

If you want to know what rates freelance editors charge in the US, here is the Editorial Freelancers Association rate chart.

I'm sure your mother could charge less than me or Medievalist or Chris P or any member of the EFA. The question is this: how many people who are investing in professional editing services are so focused on getting a low price that the editor's experience (of which your mother has none, per your post) and credentials (don't know what your mother's credentials are) are irrelevant? And even within that market, what's to keep other people from undercutting your mother's prices and editing the manuscript for $300 or $200?

Paying someone money to edit your manuscript is an investment. For it to pay off, it makes sense to work with people who have publishing experience.

This is not me trying to drive a competitor out of business--I get most of my editing work from agents passing on their already-signed clients' manuscripts. This is me wanting to support you in finding a workable plan for your mom.