Tense change in first person

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing something in first person past, and I'm wondering what would be the proper way to deal with the following passage:

She swirled her drink around; the ice clinked against the glass, the sound dissipating into the hum of activity surrounding us. The pub was starting to get busy. I had already decided to make my exit when it did. Large gatherings make me twitchy.

Is the tense change in the last sentence correct? If I'm expressing the MC's thoughts as she tells the story, would I express it in present tense, or should I work it into the story and express in past tense?

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
Sounds right to me, assuming it's someone else besides the narrator who is clinking the ice. Large gatherings make me twitchy is just like I have brown hair; it's a present condition.

You could say, Large gatherings made me twitchy, if she's going to change later, say. Or if you preferred it for whatever reason. But the present tense is perfectly fine.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Bonita. (High five!)

Maryn, agreeable

Squidd

the extra D is for "dashing"
Registered
Reaction score
If I may add a bit of grammatical nerd-precision here: The sentence isn't a problem because it's understood to be in the habitual aspect. That is, the narrator is saying, "As a rule, large gatherings make me twitchy," not "Right now, as I'm writing this, some large gatherings have entered the room and are causing me to twitch."

Another simple example, borrowing your starting point: She swirled her drink around, tossing a coy smile at some handsome doctor type. I could tell from the look that she was already in mid-seduction. Some things never change. Again, the last sentence is in a different tense, but we understand that it's obviously meant as a statement of general truth.