Earth or earth

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I think I've asked this question before but I couldn't find the thread.

From my fuzzy wuzzy memory it was supposed to be earth unless I was talking about Venus, Mars and Earth.

But that means that if I arrive on Mars and I meet a Martian, I'd be writing in my journal "I love mars. It's such a red planet and I met this great martian called Fred."

So I invite Fred back to earth and he says "I really love being on earth."

I can't help myself. I want to give earth a big E and mars a big M because they are names like Paul, Angela and Fred.

I need help!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I think I've asked this question before but I couldn't find the thread.

From my fuzzy wuzzy memory it was supposed to be earth unless I was talking about Venus, Mars and Earth.

But that means that if I arrive on Mars and I meet a Martian, I'd be writing in my journal "I love mars. It's such a red planet and I met this great martian called Fred."

So I invite Fred back to earth and he says "I really love being on earth."

I can't help myself. I want to give earth a big E and mars a big M because they are names like Paul, Angela and Fred.

I think you're making this too hard.

When you're on Mars, the planet is named Mars, and the beings native thereon are Martians, just as when you're on a mountain in Italy, the natives there are Italians.

If you take Fred, the Martian, back to Terra, the third planet many of its inhabitants call Earth, then you could introduce Fred, the Martian, to Tito, the Italian.

It's when we speak of the earth and the moon and the sun that they aren't capitalized.

It's the same back on Mars; its two moons are Phobos and Demos. It's all in the context.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Blacbird is right.

When you are referring to the planet Earth, then it gets a capital. when you call soil earth, it does not get a capital. As you pointed out, Earth is the name of a specific thing.

AVS

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed keep it simple, proper noun and be consistent in the usage. (Hmm... yet another check of the sprawling tome.)

I have to say we humans have been woefully uninventive: The Earth, the Moon, the Sun.

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, it's not that simple.

http://dictionary.classic.reference.com/help/faq/language/s05.html

Just Google it and you'll find all sorts of conflicting answers.

The consensus is: if you're using it in the context of other astronomical proper nouns, capitalize it. Otherwise, capitalization is at your discretion.

Okay, I'll go back through and capitalize it, because to me and to my story I'm talking about the planet Earth not earth as in soil/dirt.

thanks everyone.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'll go back through and capitalize it, because to me and to my story I'm talking about the planet Earth not earth as in soil/dirt.

Good decision, because Dictionary.com's definition is as clear as mud--or as Dictionary.com would coach: "also known as Mud."

It's great for those Earth-is-the-center-of-the-universe writers to write "the Earth," "the Moon," "the Sun" as if there were no other; however, for science and science fiction writers, those celestial bodies have names: Terra, Luna, and Sol respectively.

Beings on Mars may well call their planet Ground, as the people on this planet say "I live on Earth," but I doubt they would call their moons "the Moons." One is Phobos; the other is Demos. The same would apply to Jupiter's many moons. Each has a name.

As a fiction writer of other worlds, you can name them and capitalize them as your characters please.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
From a thread on sun vs Sun:

Let's see what dictionaries say! (What a concept: writers looking up words in dictionaries to check their usage.)

Both the Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (American) and the Concise Oxford Dictionary (British) state that 'sun', 'moon', and 'earth' can be capitalised when used in reference to the bodies floating in space, but neither say they must be. In all other contexts, neither dictionary specifies use of capitalisation.

The dictionary. One of a writer's best friends.

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I thought I'd drop in to cause confusion.

I wouldn't necessarily capitalise Earth (or the moon or sun). For instance, I would write "why on earth". But I would capitalise Mars. But I would not capitalise martian, unless I was talking about a resident of The Red Planet (or do I mean the Red Planet...or even the red planet).

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
I thought I'd drop in to cause confusion.

I wouldn't necessarily capitalise Earth (or the moon or sun). For instance, I would write "why on earth". But I would capitalise Mars. But I would not capitalise martian, unless I was talking about a resident of The Red Planet (or do I mean the Red Planet...or even the red planet).

But if, say for example, I was to go on holiday to new york, I'd be going to New York , not new york, because it's the name of a city, so if I was going on a holiday to mars, it would be Mars and not mars because it's the name of a planet.

But if I was going outside to play in the earth, that would be different to if I was an astronaut and returning to the Earth.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But if I was going outside to play in the earth, that would be different to if I was an astronaut and returning to the Earth.

There . . . fixed it. You don't go to the Mars. You go to Mars. Likewise, you don't go to the Earth. You go to Earth.

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
There . . . fixed it. You don't go to the Mars. You go to Mars. Likewise, you don't go to the Earth. You go to Earth.
Aw see that's what happens when you try and write a response with a two year old who wants to dance on the laptop keyboard. :D

Thanks everyone.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I don't mind "the" in this situation, just like saying "I went to the hospital."

That's true, but we're discussing capitalization, and "hospital" isn't capitalized. If it were capped, as in "I went to St. Hope Hospital," you wouldn't put "the" in front.

Comparing apples and oranges only works on limited points.

Afterthought: Instead of looking for logic -- or worse, takin a poll -- perhaps a better tactic is just to admit you're going to capitalize "earth" wherever it even suggests it may be a name. Writers do it all the time with "god" and "marine" and countless other words. I have similar quirks about which I figure: "If I'm going to be rejected for something like this, then more power to the gatekeepers."

Last edited:

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Ignore the rest of these lot. Capitalize the "a." It's eArth.