Conjunction + Conjunctive Adverb

Becca_H

Where am I again?
Registered
Reaction score
What's the rule on these two things used together? I hear people say "Because otherwise..." in speech, and it just sounds wrong. I would think they are mutually exclusive.

Are there rules regarding this construct?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The rule is to have your characters speak as they would given their situation, "irregardless" of the formal rules of grammar.

In the narrative, however, I would avoid it if it's redundant. I don't think "because otherwise" is redundant by itself, since the narrator (especially if in first person) could be explaining something. "She had to call her husband because otherwise he would drive to the airport not knowing she wouldn't be there." However, this could be "telly" if it is obvious to the reader already why a certain action was taken. Without knowing the entire context it's tough to say.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As everyone's already said, your dialogue can and should sound like real people talking, including the many mistakes in grammar humans make.

I also agree that "because otherwise" may be needlessly wordy but is not incorrect. Always tie your shoelaces before dancing on the escalator, because otherwise they may become caught is fully acceptable. (And good advice!)

Maryn, whose spike heel was once eaten by an escalator at Penney's

Becca_H

Where am I again?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

To me, the two examples with "because otherwise" would work just as well without the because. It always stands out to me for some reason. Maybe it's just me.

Also, is there any particular official ruling on this? AP or Chicago?

Evonus

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

To me, the two examples with "because otherwise" would work just as well without the because. It always stands out to me for some reason. Maybe it's just me.

Also, is there any particular official ruling on this? AP or Chicago?

It's not just you. All "because" does is allow you to establish causality. "Otherwise" already has the causality implied.