Clashing over a story

punstress

Registered
Reaction score
First, I had already decided this submission would be my last, so I'll save you the trouble of advising me not to work with "C" again.

I'm clashing with an editor, C, over her rewrites of my story for a community newspaper. This is the third I've written for her, very low pay ($60). FYI she's screwed up the past 2 stories by not running them when they were supposed to run, even though they were timely, for no other reason than she just spaced out!

She sent me her rewrites for approval and I didn't approve. We seem to disagree about what the story is about. However, I thought I could slant the lede a little better so I rewrote it and reworked the rest of the story, and I told her if she wanted to turn it down, so be it, but I don't authorize her to rewrite it (other than minor edits).

Her reply was snippy. She still wants to rewrite the story. She said I accepted the assignment (actually I had proposed the story, then she begged me four times to write it before I was going out of town, I declined, but since she's got no other writers, once I came back she offered me to do it and I said OK), and I can't withdraw it and as the editor she has the right to make whatever edits she wants. She CC'd her publisher (I used to work for him, doesn't scare me).

Am I wrong that until she has paid me, she does not own my intellectual property? My position is I fulfilled my end of the bargain, but if she doesn't like my work, I'm releasing her from the contract.

By the way, other than emails we had no written contract. I know, I know. No lectures please.

This is small potatoes moneywise, but since it's about a public figure, it could be googled and I don't want a badly edited story to come up with my name on it.

In case you think the editor is always right, I sent my rewrite to a picky friend to gauge her opinion before I went further on it, and this was her exact reaction:

LOVE IT!!!!!@!!!!111!!!

She couldn't imagine what complaint anyone could have about it!

My other friend says C routinely takes all the personality out of the column she writes (and also occasionally forgets to run them). I know my friend's lively writing style and I was appalled at how dry her column was -- especially the lede!

I want to send one last email with her publisher CC'd to ensure she doesn't change my story beyond minor edits. Do I have a leg to stand on? I'd love to quote some legal principles.

denenewrites

Registered
Reaction score
Is it possible to pull the plug on the story and go your separate ways? There's no contract, but emails can be legally binding as far as I understand. So you'll have to ask the editor if they agree to cancel or not. I'm no legal expert on this topic.

That said, are the edits she wants to make going to ruin the story as a clip for you? You mentioned she screwed up your first two stories, but it didn't sound like those were editing issues. It sounded more like timing issues which wouldn't stop you from using them as clips when they finally did publish.

I looked over a couple of my writing contracts from past articles and they do say that the editors have the right to request and/or make edits until they deem it "publishable." And it is *their* opinion in the end what is "publishable."

So I'd say unless this editor is completely butchering your article to the point where you feel that it'll be detrimental to your brand as a writer, let the editor edit away. If the article is for a community pub and won't appear online, it'll vanish relatively quickly.

Cut your losses and move on.

Let us know what happens. Good luck!

fov

Rattenmonster
Registered
Reaction score
At this point you've done the work, it's a shame not to be paid for it. Are you hoping to take the finished story and try to publish it elsewhere? If not, and if the main thing you're concerned about is having your name attached to a badly edited story, why not ask them to remove your name from it? Then they get their (badly edited) story, you get your (low) pay, and you can cut your losses and move on.

Even if there's no contract and even if you don't plan to write for them again, you don't want to get a reputation as someone who's hard to work with. If the editor thinks it's her right to haggle until she deems it publishable, it seems like this is going to be a hard battle to win, and it just might not be worth the hassle.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
If she cc'd the information over her own head to the publisher and you know that person, perhaps you could seek him as a mediator.

Also, was there a contract for either past story? This contract might count as precedent for the present work.

I'd send a clear and concise statement of your feelings, including how you like the publication and wish the circumstances were better and why you prefer not to see her enact her changes. CC this to the same publisher she sent it to. She opened that door. Perhaps he can help close it with you on the published as you wanted side.

GradyHendrix

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know enough about the specifics of what's going on to comment on the exact situation, but you have to decide if you're building a career as a working journalist or if this is a hobby for you.

If it's a hobby, then absolutely make sure you get it right, make sure it reads the way you want it to and really go to the mat over changes.

If you're building a career, let it go. It's one story. You'll write others. But the best way to torpedo yourself is to fight with your editor as if every sentence is important. Let it go and move on.

"My editor is an idiot," and "These changes/rewrites to my story are horrible," are probably two of the most common complaints among freelancers. You can either get hung up here, or keep moving. And if you're building a career you need to keep moving.