which contruction do you like better?

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
She'd changed into a dress that ended high on her legs.

She'd changed into a dress ending high on her legs.

Maybe not the best sentence LOL but the only one I could quickly think of. Notice that you can get rid of one "that" (always a good thing) by using the "ing" form, but does that leave the sentence any (more) awkward?

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
She put on a short skirt.
:)

I think the second construction will lead to more confusion than the first. Part of the problem is 'changed into' makes it sound like she shape shifted. Using the 'ing' form makes it sound even worse. The 'ending high on her legs' part is ambiguous as to what it is referring to. But I'm no expert, just a reader.

Kathl33n

Questioning Everything
Registered
Reaction score
She wore a dress cut high on her leg... She put on a short dress, showing lots of leg... Lots of leg visible to the eye, thanks to a short dress...

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not caring for either, but would go with the first. The second sounds like *she* ended high on her legs - which leaves a very strange and confusing picture...

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
To answer the question, I like #2 better than #1; although, I'm not fond of either. Women would have to answer this, but does dresses have "endings?" Seems to me they're either hemmed short, medium or long.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a problem with the word end in this usage. Can't she change into a dress which showed a lot of leg, or a dress whose hem brushed the tops of her thighs?

Maryn, who doesn't have the legs for such a dress, sigh

allz28

No Stranger To Rejection
Registered
Reaction score
#1.

And is there a reason this is in past perfect tense? If not, change she'd to she.

writingismypassion

~Charity~
Registered
Reaction score
The first is less confusing. "The dress she'd changed into ended high on her legs" would get rid of the "that." And as others have stated, the "end" is awkward.

CaseyMack

Write more; worry less!
Registered
Reaction score
How about simply "She'd put on a minidress"?

I think that minidress covers (pardon the pun) the fact that its hem is high on the leg. Also, unless she's a real weirdo, a reader would reasonably assume that she isn't layering on clothing; she presumably removed her previous garb, and replaced it with the short dress.

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
Forgetting the dress, because you asked about the construction (He'd brought in a tractor that had a backhoe on its rear. He'd brought in a tractor ending in a backhoe. They'd put in a path that had blue stones sprinkled in it. They'd put in a path sprinkled with blue stones.) I'd use whichever one fits the place you have it, considering the rhythm of other sentences around it. I don't see that one's better than the other.

pegasus

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd use whichever one fits the place you have it, considering the rhythm of other sentences around it. I don't see that one's better than the other.

Hi, bonitakale. I don't see why you have to always write with such straightforward common sense. It spoils the fun. Can't you let us go on and on for awhile before you do that?;)

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
tko, I know you were pulling an example from the top of your head, but in that case, I'm with all the alternates....short and sweet, like a midget covered in marshmallow fluff.

Jonathan Dalar

Science fiction, horror and fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jonathandalar.blogspot.com
While both are somewhat wordy and unwieldy in construction, in general, editors seem to want a "that-ectomy" performed on the manuscript. It's all a part of honing it down to the essential.