worried about my manuscript

Pegster

Girando e fuzzicando
Registered
Reaction score
I sent my first novel off in 2009, and four months later got a request for revisions. There was a bit of a mix-up in communication, but now it's getting on two years and the editor just asked for a fifth revision. She really likes the story, but I'm worried that after all this I'll still get a rejection! I feel like I've jumped through hoops (though she did have a valid request in this last letter) to get this work up to speed, and the only satisfaction I have is that it is with a major publisher. From reading posts here, I know whining at this stage is egotistical, but I can't hold it in anymore. I'm a newbie at this writing biz, no agent, either, though I have almost enough rejection slips to use the backs for reprinting the next submission. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
IMHO, if you can do so without whining, try calling the agent and explaining your feelings. You and he/she have put time in. There is an investment on both sides, so I doubt the rejection would come easily, but I can see where you'd like that contract. Perhaps a phone call or e-mail will clarify the needs for the manuscript and the editor's goals for you and it. You can also ask the editor to recommend an agent since you have a working relationship with the editor. The middle man may help.

I hope this helps.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know whether five revisions is good or bad. In thirty years, I've never known an editor to ask for so many. It's usually an acceptance or a rejection long before this.

Just wanted to add: This sure dispels the myth that today's editors don't work with writers.

Pegster

Girando e fuzzicando
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know whether five revisions is good or bad. In thirty years, I've never known an editor to ask for so many. It's usually an acceptance or a rejection long before this.

Just wanted to add: This sure dispels the myth that today's editors don't work with writers.

That's part of what's been bothering me all this long time. The publisher is very real; I've purchased a number of books from this house, and a real author that's published by them even told me "Nope, she's really an editor." I feel like I'm waiting for the bubble to burst. I hate the idea of having to shopt the book around again if they ultimately reject it. I'd chew my beard if I had one. Thanks for listening.

Pegster

Girando e fuzzicando
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Stijn. I think I might have sent the latest edits in a bit quickly, but there was a major change of a minor character, so I think it can be excused. Hopefully the editor will like the changes and let me know if that was the 'sticky wicket'. Then I can work out the rest of the smoothing out. I appreciate the encouragement.