Do you use the semicolon?

Reaction score
This has to be the most underused punctuation mark, which is funny considering that it rests under the right pinky of anybody who touch-types. :) In theory, it’s supposed to be used to join two related clauses together that are in and of themselves complete sentences, in place of a serial comma when the list contains items that are themselves separated by commas, and to join a follow-up clause that begins with a conjunctive adverb to another sentence.

That’s the theory, but in practice, nobody seems to use it, especially in fiction. I personally use it all the time: in personal correspondence, in IMs, and in business documents. Every now and then I sneak one or two into the prose of fiction that I edit. More often than not, I just let the original sentence lie as two separate sentences with periods and capitals.

Who uses the semicolon? Who never uses it? Why? Is it completely useless in fiction or does it have a place outside the non-fiction realm?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Fade

The Captain of My Soul
Registered
Reaction score
I use the semicolon whenever necessary; it's great for connecting to related sentences.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree the semicolon is underused; however, I use it in all the ways mentioned: because I can; because I understand how it functions and am unafraid; and because it adds pinches of spice to personal correspondences, formal articles, and creative prose.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Semicolons are light, low-fat and stay crunchy in milk. What more can you ask of a punctuation mark?

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That’s the theory, but in practice, nobody seems to use it, especially in fiction.
This is just patently untrue. I see semicolons in current fiction all the time. I see them in the narrative. I seem them in dialogue. "Semicolons aren't used in fiction" is a big, fat myth. Let's not spread it further.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, the most underused punctuation is the interrobang. It needs to be used more just because it's fun to say.

Chitty chitty interrobang-bang.
Interro-BANG. And the stain is gone.
Whatsamatter Toots? Afraid of a little interrobang?

Try saying it in a funny accent while looking in the mirror.

Marie

Registered
Reaction score
I know sometimes I accidentally put commas where I should've put semicolons. So, yeah, after I fix my grammar :).

Reaction score
Yes, because I know how to use them; the use of semi-colons is what's known as a 'piece of piss'.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Semicolons are effective and even necessary in some situations If you write compound-complex sentences, then they are essential sometimes. Alas, compound-complex sentences are only used to express compound-complex thoughts, and many people have trouble with things that are so complicated.

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elldimensional.wordpress.com
I use the semicolon so often sometimes that I wonder if I'm using it too much. It is by far my favorite punctuation mark! With that being said, I edit a lot of them out to break up long thoughts and sentences.

Reaction score
Last edited:

Squidd

the extra D is for "dashing"
Registered
Reaction score
The last time I can remember using a semicolon was five years ago, in a forum discussion about run-on sentences. It fell upon me to explain that no, a run-on is not necessarily the same thing as a long sentence:

This is a run-on sentence it is pretty short.

This sentence is much longer and it contains a number of independent clauses, but all of them are separated by conjunctions or punctuation or both so it is nevertheless a sensible, grammatical sentence, and while I will admit that the lack of punctuation in Katie's proffered example makes it appear less polished than this sentence, it still was not in violation of the rules of grammar; these sentences may be stylistically inadvisable, but that doesn't make them wrong.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Semicolons are effective and even necessary in some situations If you write compound-complex sentences, then they are essential sometimes. Alas, compound-complex sentences are only used to express compound-complex thoughts, and many people have trouble with things that are so complicated.
Semicolons needn't be reserved for long or complex sentences. A minute ago I used one in an email and thought of this thread:

Just ask; he's very responsive.

I think semicolons beat the hell out of choppy sentences and comma splices.