Becoming a 'guest' blogger

CMKY

something witty
Registered
Reaction score
I've been chewing my nails* for the last few minutes trying to decide which would be the best forum to post this thread. Sure, this is the logical choice, but I mainly write erotica, so maybe I should have narrowed my audience by posting there instead... Oh well, what's done is done.

Anyway, I've noticed that most peeps who post here have their own blogs. A few have a decent following, but most only have a handful. I've thought about making a blog for myself, but, seriously, I'm not going to do it any better than average. I'm too short-tempered when it comes to all things technical. If I'm too lazy to update a facebook page, what chance do I have with a blog? Know thyself and all that.

What I'd rather do is submit articles as a guest writer to other people's blogs. I think it would help drum up visitors to the blog, if for no other reason than the fact that there would be more content to read, and I would have a creative outlet. Which brings me to the subject of my post.

Is there a niche for such a thing? Do bloggers prefer to accept guest articles only from other bloggers? Or do they look for content elsewhere? If so, how would I go about getting in on that? And while I'm playing twenty questions, are any of you guys looking for additional content for your own blogs?

*Speaking of nail chewing, am I the only one who finds posting on a forum about writing stressful as hell? I mean, the folks who aren't writers themselves are probably editors, and in my mind everyone but me is an English major. I feel like I'm getting graded every time I post! Sheesh

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elldimensional.wordpress.com
Ah, I understand your anxiety, I felt the same way when I first began participating. I may be a writer, but many writers don't have a degree in English or Lit. If it helps any, just express yourself and don't worry about what other people think of your grammar. The more you write and communicate, the better you get at it!

My blog following is practically nonexistent, and half the time I think I'm doing it for my own entertainment. Well, it is for my entertainment, and I love blogging, so I don't care if my following is nil! That aside, I notice that guest bloggers show up if the blogger is taking the week off (or vice versa!), as well as to create a nice variety to their posts. It's always nice to see a new face and hear a different opinion or way of working on things.

As far as the popular blogging world goes, a lot of blogs like to have a renowned writer or blogger to guest post to boost their viewing numbers. If I interviewed JK Rowling or had her guest post in my blog, imagine how my pageviews would pop! In a lot of cases, one blogger is always helping the other up the ladder.

These are just a couple reasons I've seen for guest blogging, sorry if I've repeated info you're already familiar with.

wizard tim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chimpwithpencil.com
I know searching will be a task, but if you could find bloggers who write material similar to yours, perhaps you could contact them and ask if they would be interested in you being a guest?

You could mention your writing credits, or send them a sample of your writing, or propose a subject for a blog post you'd like to write.