Capitalizing Priest and Priestess in a fantasy novel

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I'm copyediting a fantasy novel. Two major supporting characters in it are a priest and priestess. I'm struggling to decide when to capitalize the words. My eyes are beginning to blur at the sight of the words "priest" and "priestess". Capitalizing them all the time makes the novel look like an 18th century tract.

There is also a profession called Singer; the capitalization is important to the author. So some sentences look like

"He left Priest and Priestess and returned to the Singer’s bench."

Can anyone assist? I'm sort of thinking:

No:

"the village priest"

"the souls of the dead priests and priestesses"

"priests and priestesses"

"even priests had to live with the separation between their souls and the All"

"the priestess"

"your priest"

Yes:

"Greetings, Priestess."

"Priest and Priestess walked into the room"

TheMindKiller

Only I Will Remain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabberwocky.ws
Looks right to me. That's an odd way to use priest and priestess, though. They don't have names?

Considering how odd the words sound when reading, I hope they aren't as common in the text as you make it sound. That'd be awkward reading.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I stopped reading the Amtrak Wars because "jap" always had a lower case "j" when other demonyms were capitalized.

"Singer" being capitalized will have the same effect on me.

I think your approach with priest and priestess is right. Don't capitalize unless someone is using the word as a proper noun.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I'm thinking I may have to do that with Singer as well, and probably also Soldier. In the book they're roles with ritual importance -- also there is a god called Soldier. But so far I think I will not capitalize unless they're proper nouns. Otherwise it gets a little blurry to read.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
It's an issue I have with some similar ideas and the solution was as above - capitalise if a noun but not other times. Personally in this case I would find a more imaginative word to use for Priest, Priestess and Singer, even something so simple as translating them into a foreign language like Latin, but it is not your world so you can't change that.