Another think/thing coming?

leon66a

Registered
Reaction score
"If you think grammar is uncomplicated, you've got another thing/think coming?

What say you, AW, think or thing?

Also, is you opinion definitive enough that you would override your editor who changed it in your manuscript?

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"If you think grammar is uncomplicated, you've got another thing/think coming?

What say you, AW, think or thing?

Also, is you opinion definitive enough that you would override your editor who changed it in your manuscript?

The idiom since I can remember is "You have another think coming."

So, resisting the urge to correct "you've got" in a sentence dealing with grammar, get rid of the echoes, and not end a statement with a question mark, your example should read:

"If you think grammar is uncomplicated, you've got another think coming?"

Edit: I was too hasty; the repetition of think and think is effective.

Last edited:

DeaK

Registered
Reaction score
Both work (or should I say, are used), but the original 'think' is better because the dig is deeper. It implies that the rebuked is going to have to change his/her mind, whereas 'thing' only suggests that they will be getting resistance to their stance. Make sense?

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
If you use the entire phrase, then "think" works, I suppose, but if you truncate it to "You've got another think coming," it sounds completely erroneous to me.

Maybe this is a regionalism or something, but I've NEVER heard the "original" version.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Leahzero, I strongly suspect there's a regional thing going on, too -- I'd never heard the "thing" version before today, and couldn't figure out how anyone thought it made any sense...but lots of smart and knowledgeable people do:
Merriam-Webster Editorial
Department writes: "When an informal poll was conducted here at
Merriam-Webster, about 60% of our editors favored 'thing' over
'think,' a result that runs counter to our written evidence."

I'm now utterly fascinated. I find idiom interesting anyway, but when I hit one of these little pockets of weirdness, it's just too cool for school. :)

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I find idiom interesting anyway, but when I hit one of these little pockets of weirdness, it's just too cool for school.

I love it. Language marches on.

Long ago and far away, I gave classes on U.S. idioms to Japanese businessmen at American Microsystems Incorporated outside Pocatello. We rode off on many hilarious tangents from the obviously outdated workbook I still have.

It includes, "If you think ____, you’ve got another think coming" as an idiom for "You are mistaken."

I’ve probably been seeing "thing" on younger people’s lips lately, while supposing they said "think."

I sure have another "thing" coming. Ha ha ha, it still "sounds" weird in my head.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that "think" is the proper word to use, but most people aren't aware of that and believe it's "thing". As for which you should use, who's saying it? If you want to play up the character's ignorance, have them use "thing" and then have a more well-informed character correct them, or at least have them roll their eyes, or think about how the other person got it wrong. If your character is well-educated, on the other hand, then have them use the phrase properly.

Reaction score
I agree that "think" is the proper word to use, but most people aren't aware of that and believe it's "thing".
Not over here. 'Thing' raises my hackles. Hate it, hate it, hate it, especially when I see it in published books. Makes me wonder WTF the editor was smoking.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Before reading this thread, I had never heard "thing," only "think."

Who'da thunk it?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I grew up in an educated household. Both my parents used "thing" and that's what I thought it was until I was a teenager able to reason. Good example of an eggcorn, as noted above.

But language in use is language evolving, and to lots and lots of people, "thing" is perfectly correct and everybody knows what the idiom means. Judas Priest's use of it in a popular lyric didn't help the grammarians' cause, either.

Maryn, who will never accept "woah" as correct, though

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, who will never accept "woah" as correct, though

"Woah" is a perfectly good spelling of Bugs Bunny saying, "Of coahse you know, this means woah!"

Bugs taking a wrong turn burrowing under Albu-koik-kee, New Mexico, made us think U.S. bunnies burrow and live underground, which they never did in Montana.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I, too, have never heard the phrase used with other than 'think'.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
My mind is blown. I have never heard it phrased as "think". I do like the original better, but if I'd seen it in a book I would have thought it was wrong. Must be a regional thing, or a regional think. ;)

(You can't actually be banned for making terrible jokes, right?) :D

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
It's "think."

The reason you hear it as "thing" is simple: phonetically, "another think coming" and "another thing coming" are identical.

G and K are paired: they are the same sound, the only difference being G is voiced and K is devoiced. When, as in this case, the "g" would be devoiced (at the end of a word, immediately preceding another "k" sound, you usually link the two), it's possible to mistake that "k" for a "g," but it's not.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Some more history:
The earliest real example of the 'thing' version of the phrase that I've found is from the New York newspaper The Syracuse Herald, August 1919:

"If you think the life of a movie star is all sunshine and flowers you've got another thing coming."

That paper's local rival, The Syracuse Standard, outdoes that by several years, by printing the 'think' version in May 1898:

"Conroy lives in Troy and thinks he is a coming fighter. This gentleman has another think coming. It is probable that McCoy will next meet Joe Choynski."