from where it came [from]

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
I agree the word "from" is somewhat redundant. But as a phrase using it seems to roll off the tongue better.

From where it came.

From where it came from.

Where did this one come?

Where did this one come from?

I'm sure there are many more where this one came [from].

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
From here to eternity... (not that I watch many kid movies :) )
From the railway came the sound of shunting trains... (Wells)
From Russia, with love (I likt the Cats and Dogs version)

Lol...

And this preposition is redundant...? I like from; it has loads of uses...

It came from outta space (source)
He doesn't know left from right (differentiation)

and all th prep phrases it can tie into... 'From's' a good one...

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whence it came.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Whence it came.

"Whence it came", while grammatically correct, is to an American reader very Brit/archaic/prissy. "From where it came" is stylistically formal. "Where it came from" is the general informal, and there is no damn rule against using a preposition to end a sentence or phrase, and the sooner we manage to drive a stake through that coffin-dweller, the better.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Whence it came", while grammatically correct, is to an American reader very Brit/archaic/prissy. "From where it came" is stylistically formal. "Where it came from" is the general informal, and there is no damn rule against using a preposition to end a sentence or phrase, and the sooner we manage to drive a stake through that coffin-dweller, the better.
Whatever. Just coming up with a possibility for discussion. But thanks for putting me in my place.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Whatever. Just coming up with a possibility for discussion. But thanks for putting me in my place.

Yer place is way okay, mate. Except maybe for the 30-foot crocodiles and the snakes and jellyfish that'll kill ya dead if they look at ya. Not a put-down, just an observation about the geographical preference for the use of "whence". When Yanks use it, they mostly misuse it, as in "from whence it came", thinking they are somehow being more proper and educated-like.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't use 'whence' either, amigo... other than in circumstances where mannered language is called for. <-- (whoa, preposition! *eats words*)

Sorry, sir... guess it was time for my quarterly (daily?) snapback, and you were in the firing line.

Folks down here use "whilst" sometimes, but "whence" would get you a wedgie here too.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree the word "from" is somewhat redundant. But as a phrase using it seems to roll off the tongue better.

Sometimes it really is about the rhythm. :)

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
As an American I agree that "whence it came" fits well. It is a great pity that "whence" has fallen out of use, but it is a good word, especially when used properly.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I don't think whence is even remotely prissy and I don't see any correlation at all between Englishness, archaicness or prissiness.

Whilst whence might be old fashioned it is absolutely valid English and hence usable by the awedgophobic.

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com

From where it came.

From where it came from.

Where did this one come?

Where did this one come from?

I'm sure there are many more where this one came [from].

#2 and #3 are definitely wrong, by the way. You don't repeat the "from," and "Where did this one come?" would be an awkward way of asking where it wound up, not where it came from.