Howdy!

justcrash

Dipping His Toe In
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dariankovach.com
Hello! My friends Adam and Xondra told me about this place, and it seems great. I didn't even know it existed. In other news, I just found out my wife and I have children. I'm not very observant.

I've written a few short film scripts, I write comics for a small publisher in Boston, but I've always wanted to write a novel. However, I was waiting for someone to offer me a lot of money to do so. Then I realized I was 38 and had no redeemable social skills and no friends who were in a position to buy me a cup of coffee. In short, I wanted to circumvent the part where I write a book that may or may not ever be read by anyone (ie the "Am I Crazies?"). Yet the idea continued gnawing at me.

Finally I gave in when I read a quote by someone that said (and I'm paraphrasing here) "If you find yourself unable to think about anything else but one thing every day, you should pursue that thought".

So in late March I started writing my first great American Science Fiction novel (I know you can't hear it, but that was sarcasm) and I completed it at the end of last month. Now I've started working on my next one as I let the first one sit for a bit before I start the editing process for 5 or 6 weeks.

About me: I'm a musician of 22 years, I've done stand up comedy, moderate a few internet forums, I've written most of my life but have been afraid to pursue it professionally (fear is a big obstacle for me, you?) and I am an avid video game player. My daughter is 7 and she is just like her daddy, and by that I mean, she is attracted to every endeavor that won't make her money (or, I should say, things that only make money for a precious few who pursue them... dancing, singing, playing music, writing, yes, writing at 7) and my wonderful son is 12. He is the traditional "book smart" kid that has a bright future ahead of him. My wife and I have been together for a decade, we live on a 25 acre horse farm that she runs a non profit animal rescue on. We both work in IT.

I spend a lot of time telling offensive jokes to people and then eying them suspiciously when they aren't properly offended.

It is a true honor to post here and meet all of you fine people. Please, call me Darian. or Ishmael. But if I don't answer to Ishmael, call me Darian. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome,

-Suzanne, also a professional nerd by day.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Darian!

*Waves*

Glad you made it over. Welcome! :D

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

garnerdavis

Warped humor here
Registered
Reaction score
An introduction a cut above the norm. I commend you. Now, why aren't you writing humor? We need more of those on these forums.

justcrash

Dipping His Toe In
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dariankovach.com
An introduction a cut above the norm. I commend you. Now, why aren't you writing humor? We need more of those on these forums.
When I was younger I had an E/N site (Everything/Nothing) that was largely satire. It was a blog before blogs existed. However, it was also very offensive (I ran it in the vein of seanbaby.com and oldmanmurray.com) and I'm more subtle now.

My current WIP has a lot more humor in it then the novel I just finished, but since I haven't started edits on that one yet, it stands to reason I will find a way to place more anus jokes in it than it currently contains.

I certainly appreciate the kind words, more so since as I type this, I am at work listening to my maddening boss bang on his desk and sing gibberish in hopes that I will acknowledge him. I won't, of course, but he tries everyday.

justcrash

Dipping His Toe In
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dariankovach.com
Thank you all for the welcomes, its very nice to find a forum online that isn't wishing cancer upon me. My mother can be so cruel on her forum. :(

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, I'm glad you finally joined :)

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
That's why I alternate between waving and nodding amiably.