Is there a style guide for British English?

Becca_H

Where am I again?
Registered
Reaction score
Like Strunk and White or the Chicago Manual of Style, but for the UK? Or is it pretty much the same?

I'm used to writing in American English and suddenly, gasp, I might have to write for a UK audience soon.

I can see a few on Wikipedia, but not sure which one is most dominant.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Like Strunk and White or the Chicago Manual of Style, but for the UK? Or is it pretty much the same?

I'm used to writing in American English and suddenly, gasp, I might have to write for a UK audience soon.

I can see a few on Wikipedia, but not sure which one is most dominant.

I don't use any online resources for British usage. I have several Oxford reference books, including The Oxford Manual of Style. (When I get home, I'll edit this post with a few more titles.)

To clarify, I'm an USian technical writer living in the UK and writing for both US and UK audiences (and Canadian, Australian, and Middle Eastern, too, for that matter). I also do a little bit of freelance technical editing for both sides of the pond. I have to be fairly adept with both styles, but it's easy to get confused, so I refer to my books a lot. :D

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
A good read is Eats, shoots and leaves by Lynn Truss (the comma is deliberately wrong in the title...) which is a good overview of English grammar and punctuation that is also fun to read because it is not dry and boring like many grammar guides. It covers conventions such as the Oxford comma and when to use them and when not to.

Generally, however, there are not all that many differences that I have seen (doing it the other way around). It's mostly the wierd spellings you yanks use - color, armor etc. I'm not aware of noticing any specific grammar differences... however, the Oxford manual of style will tell you what is appropriate in the UK and you can tell for yourself if there are any differences.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
A good read is Eats, shoots and leaves by Lynn Truss (the comma is deliberately wrong in the title...) which is a good overview of English grammar and punctuation that is also fun to read because it is not dry and boring like many grammar guides. It covers conventions such as the Oxford comma and when to use them and when not to.

Generally, however, there are not all that many differences that I have seen (doing it the other way around). It's mostly the wierd spellings you yanks use - color, armor etc. I'm not aware of noticing any specific grammar differences... however, the Oxford manual of style will tell you what is appropriate in the UK and you can tell for yourself if there are any differences.

There aren't many grammatical differences as far as word usage goes, but there are a lot of differences in punctuation. And, as you say, spellings. But there are also differences in things like whether group nouns (such as a company or organisation) are singular or plural....stuff like that.

Heck, I've been in the UK for nigh on 11 years now, and I learn new differences all the time!

And while Eats, Shoots and Leaves is a very entertaining read, I would never recommend it as a formal style guide. :)

Deleted member 42

And while Eats, Shoots and Leaves is a very entertaining read, I would never recommend it as a formal style guide. :)

Absolutely; she makes stuff up. People will point and laugh.

When UC Press (mostly non-fiction academic press) hired me to "convert" a couple of 'Merican books to UK style, we used The Oxford Manual of Style.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Yet another US English user chiming in with love for The Oxford Manual of Style.

For UK newspaper writing, both the Guardian and the Telegraph have published style guides, which are available in paperback.

Becca_H

Where am I again?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies. Looks like The Oxford Manual of Style has the most votes.

I think I seem to write in some US/UK English hybrid. Need to straighten myself out and quick.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... the punctuation differences may be why I failed that editing test for a US publisher (when I was absolutely convinced I was correct on all counts... :) ) I was not aware of those.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
As promised earlier, my other Oxford reference books are:

The Oxford Guide to English Usage

The Oxford Dictionary of English Grammar

The Oxford Essential Guide to the English Language

Deleted member 42

Thanks for all your replies. Looks like The Oxford Manual of Style has the most votes.

I think I seem to write in some US/UK English hybrid. Need to straighten myself out and quick.

Get a copy of the Oxford Concise Dictionary of English as well; it's got some useful discussions of usage. Also, if you use a spelling checker, switch to the UK English dictionary.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Get a copy of the Oxford Concise Dictionary of English as well; it's got some useful discussions of usage. Also, if you use a spelling checker, switch to the UK English dictionary.

And keep checking it is set to that... no matter what I do, mine keeps quietly slipping it back to US English without telling me...

Another point I would make is never, ever take any automated spelling or grammar checker for granted. Many of them have fundamental flaws so always double check any suggestion they make before you accept the alternatives.