Newbie Here :) Have No Fear

Skreth

Word Warrior
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm Skreth, and I just joined this forum last night. My account just got activated, so I'm pretty pumped about that. :hooray:I guess I should tell you all a little bit about myself.

Like the rest of you guys, I love to read and write (why else would I be here? To make origami?). I enjoy ballroom dancing, skiing, jet-skiing, swimming, and Magic: The Gathering. I am fairly well-versed in French, although I am taking courses right now to improve my skill in it. Around me, there is always an air of mystery, because people just can't figure out where their chocolate went.

My favourite genres to read? Fantasy (especially medieval with magic), sci-fi (primarily utopia/dystopia), paranormal (particularly vampires) and just about anything with dragons. I love the works of Anne McCaffrey and Mercedes Lackey, but there are so many authors whose works I also love that I cannot list them all. As you get to know me, I'm sure they'll worm their ways out of my chocolate-saturated brain.

I write short stories, novels, and poetry, although the latter is something I write purely for enjoyment and relaxation (I do not plan on publishing it). When I write, it is usually medieval fantasy (think Graceling by Kristin Cashore) or urban fantasy (no example I can think of at the top of my head). My short stories tend to be darker than my novels. My novels are aimed at young adult readers. My writing style errs on the side of long sentences (rather than short, choppy sentences). I'm not sure if they are quite as long as Ray Bradbury's, though.

The story so far? I've placed in a couple writing contests and published an article in my local paper. I'm looking for encouragement to keep writing as I head off to university next year. I am also searching for "The One," as I call it. The One novel I'm writing that will make it published first. My current WIP, when I finish it, will hopefully be that One.

Is there anything else I can add to paint a better picture of me? I love purple, blue and green. Dragons are my favourite animal, even if most people don't acknowledge their existence, and they stand guard over my massive book collection (which is all catologued, by the way). I like 85% dark chocolate best, although I might become hooked on 90% soon, once my taste buds get used to its new flavour. My ideal pizza's toppings are ham, bacon, pepperoni, and pineapple. My bed is always unmade, and my room is a disaster, but my school life is neat and organized. I'm allergic to nickel, smoke (of any kind), and goldenrod (also known as ragweed).

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

Detri Redmond

Apprentice Wordslinger
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW Skreth, I'm sure you will fit right here. I'm very excited to have an otherworlder in our midst. ;)

Figuro

Registered
Reaction score
Wow - that's an interesting full bio - I enjoyed the read. I see we have a fair amount in common... I too have a passion for dragons, but they aren't at the top of my list - wolves and cats (all sizes) are.

So, leave that bed unmade (after all you're going to sleep in it again), pull out a chair and relax, make yourself at home. Take a stroll though all of the forums and seek out what you're searching for. No doubt you're find it and make friends along the way. Best of luck. Welcome fellow writer.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

nikkidj

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hopefully our stays will be fruitful ones! Good luck as you write "the One."

NinaK

On the Beach
Registered
Reaction score
Bonsoir and welcome

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Mmmmmmmmm chocolate...must have chocola--

Oops, sorry. Welcome to the forums, hun. You'll love it here.

garnerdavis

Warped humor here
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, yours is one of the more detailed introductions I've seen. I wouldn't have been surprised to see your medical records attached. :) Just kidding. Welcome to the forums.