' ' versus " " Question (double quotes vs. single quotes)

W.J. Cherf

VP, Egyptian Studies Society
Registered
Reaction score
To any kind soul out there, I need some guidelines on the use of single versus double quotation marks.

I always believed that double quotation marks were for the attribution of someone else's words.

On the other hand, a word surrounded by single quotes denoted emphasis, as in "at last 'the' book has finally arrived!"

Any help here would be most appreciated!

Best to all

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
In US usage, double quotation marks are used for both dialogue and "scare quotes." Single quotation marks are reserved for nesting quotation marks, as in when I wrote "double quotation marks are used for both dialogue and 'scare quotes.'"

UK usage is different. Also, US usage standards on this are not universally observed by all US publishers and publications; hence much confusion.

But the above is the currently correct Chicago Manual of Style and MLA Handbook usage (I happen to have both to hand; my memory of the New York Times Style Sheet and The AP Stylebook is that they concur).

Sarah Madara

Freeway stomper extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen single quotes used for emphasis*, only for nested quotation marks as in IceCreamEmpress's example. I'm in the US, though, so I can't speak for UK usage.

*in published literature. Handwritten signs in store windows are another matter: 'Fresh' produce! Low price's!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also agreeing with the empress, only expressing the same rule in different terms: For U.S. publications, the only use for single quotations are quotes within quotes:

"I enjoyed 'Big Driver,' the first story in Stephen King's Full Dark, No Stars," Kay said.

Jerry said, "There are no 'small' people--only people who think small."

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
What Chase said. In the U.S., single quotation marks are always for quotes within quotes. Doubles are for dialogue, and for emphasis, though I usually prefer italics for emphasis.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
er... thought? Do people still put 66s and 99s around thought or they have to be italicized or what?

Quotes are one method many use:

"Too bad he's dead," I thought, "but better him than me."

But many have opted for italics to differentiate thoughts from the spoken word:

Too bad he's dead, I thought, but better him than me.

Another style is this:

Too bad he's dead, I thought, but better him than me.

You choose--just stay consistent.

Sarah Madara

Freeway stomper extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Chase is right that all three methods are acceptable for thoughts. I personally prefer italics or nothing, though, because when I see quotes and then get to the "I thought" I do a double-take. I'd already started to imagine the dialogue spoken aloud. Just a personal preference.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Best to be consistant and also to follow one or other set of guidelines (several of which are presented above). Generally, most grammatical rules are immensly variable (examples such as the Oxford comma apply here) but one thing that is ubiquitous is the need to use the same rule throughout a given piece of work.

Editors will generally have thier own preferences as well and unless you know in advance what these are, chances are they will simply change them to suit (or tell you what they expect and get you to change them).

I know from experience how difficult it is as a UK taught writers working with American conventions... instinct tells you one thing but the convention is another. It is very apparent in spelling (colour/color). I was advised for this to do it the way that feels right and expect the editor to change it by default...

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
Please do NOT use any kind of quotation mark for emphasis. The real meaning of a sign that says, "Ripe" Bananas is that the bananas are not ripe. He pulled out his "big gun," doesn't mean that it was really big or really a gun.

The little girl "shot" me with her finger; then she blew on the muzzle of her "gun" and put it in her pocket.

It was my "best friend," going at it with my wife.

You use the quotes (but don't overdo it) to indicate that the words aren't meant literally.

W.J. Cherf

VP, Egyptian Studies Society
Registered
Reaction score
A Wealth of Thanks

To all you kind souls, thank you so very much!

--WCJ

AudreyInDC

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I second this answer.

In US usage, double quotation marks are used for both dialogue and "scare quotes." Single quotation marks are reserved for nesting quotation marks, as in when I wrote "double quotation marks are used for both dialogue and 'scare quotes.'"

UK usage is different. Also, US usage standards on this are not universally observed by all US publishers and publications; hence much confusion.

But the above is the currently correct Chicago Manual of Style and MLA Handbook usage (I happen to have both to hand; my memory of the New York Times Style Sheet and The AP Stylebook is that they concur).