Introduction

JDM1950

Never Forget the First Time
Registered
Reaction score
"With mixed apprehension and excitement, he began his first thread at Absolute Write Water Cooler..."

Hi.
I am new here and this is my introductory post.
I am near completion of a manuscript for my first novel and would appreciate an advice/information on how to go about publishing it.
Direct to publishers--if so, recommendations?
Through agent--also, any recommendations?
Just to narrow down a bit if anybody wants a little more information about what I've written--it is a ficticious adventure novel, with some romantic elements (boy-girl), and a couple of adult situations--nothing overly graphic, but it's probably PG-13 at least.
Also, I reside outside of the US and wonder what the procedures are for working with publishers/agents in the US? (contracts, tax laws, methods of payment --if published!)
I know how difficult it is for a first-timer to get published, but it is obviously possible. I would appreciate anyone who can share info and his/her experiences.

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
Hi, JDM, welcome aboard.

Congratulations on the near-completion of your first manuscript. It's a great feeling. As for all the questions -- I don't have all the answers, but they're out there. This site has tons of information for you, and a lot of nice, supportive people.

Good luck!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

garnerdavis

Warped humor here
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I bought a book which seems quite informative on the issues you're interested in. It's called "The Essential Guide to Getting Your Book Published," by Arielle Eckstut and David Henry Sterry.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

Mandiloo322

[Shhhh....I'm writing.]
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

I'm in the same boat as you, although I do live in the U.S. I have begun writing query letters to find myself a literary agent, as that seems to be the way to go from what I've read on these forums.

Here is the Ask the Agent forum that might be helpful.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58

I'm sure this site has a lot of answers for you if you explore it! Good luck! :)

TheMurf

I have opinions and I share them :)
Registered
Reaction score
Hi JDM

I would say agent. Have a look in the 'Share your work' at all the threads under query letter hell to see what fun you have in front of you :eek:

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard
Be interesting to see what you have once you get to your 50 posts (doesn't take that long)

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
Hi there, and welcome to the Cooler. I also live outside the US, but don't have any problems with either contracts and taxes. I was lucky to find a publisher who wants to publish my work (I also write novels with elements of adventure, romance, action etc.). What concerns taxes, I just signed an agreement with the publisher that they deduct 30% of my royalties for taxes. It's way cheaper to pay them in the US than in Belgium (there you pay around 50 %).

Nickie

mommysangelinheaven

Live Life to the Fullest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mommysangelinheaven.com
"With mixed apprehension and excitement, he began his first thread at Absolute Write Water Cooler..."

Hi.
I am new here and this is my introductory post.
I am near completion of a manuscript for my first novel and would appreciate an advice/information on how to go about publishing it.
Direct to publishers--if so, recommendations?
Through agent--also, any recommendations?
Just to narrow down a bit if anybody wants a little more information about what I've written--it is a ficticious adventure novel, with some romantic elements (boy-girl), and a couple of adult situations--nothing overly graphic, but it's probably PG-13 at least.
Also, I reside outside of the US and wonder what the procedures are for working with publishers/agents in the US? (contracts, tax laws, methods of payment --if published!)
I know how difficult it is for a first-timer to get published, but it is obviously possible. I would appreciate anyone who can share info and his/her experiences.

Hello JDM,

I can be honest that I do not know a lot about publishing but from what I have learned so far is if you go the self-publishing route you keep all the rights to your book where as if you go with a traditional publishing house they buy the rights to your book and can then edit it however they choose to.

Welcome aboard. I am new myself so it is a pleasure to meet you.

JDM1950

Never Forget the First Time
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Mandi.
Writing the book was the easy part; getting it out is the kicker...

Figuro

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome,

Like the rest of us, you're only going to find what you're looking for by doing your research. Explore the various threads here on the forum and take from it what you feel is worthy. Research your area of writing and agents that represent your work. Decide if you're wanting to have agent representation or if you're going to self-publish. There's also a book that may come in very handy - 2011 Guide to Literary Agents. You can purchase it off Amazon and it's really very helpful. But if you're wanting some feed back from this forum - then you need to work at stacking up your post count. Read the 'Newbie Guide'