Embarassing Local Activities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Goofy Local Activities

After watching the end of the news tonight, I realized there are a lot of goofy activities associated with East Tennessee. Tonight's example was the greased pig chasing contest. I mean, people were out there squealing "soooWEEE PIGPIGPIG!!!!" and chasing those fat little piggies all over the barnyard.They looked like they were having a ball.

What the goofiest way people amuse themselves where you live?

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, Unique...you gotta elaborate on Mule Days.

SC....O.M.G. I can really relate to that!

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I live a city known for meth production. Talk about an embarrassing local activity. :(

I wish more people around here would start chasing pigs instead of having to be chased by pigs (police) due to meth.

*sigh*

Gehanna

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Gehanna said:
Unfortunately, I live a city known for meth production. Talk about an embarrassing local activity. :(

I wish more people around here would start chasing pigs instead of having to be chased by pigs (police) due to meth.

*sigh*

Gehanna
eeewww.....I think I used to live there. There was always some trailer that exploded or something on the news. Not pretty.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Hahaha!!

Even though I'm laughing, that is the sad truth.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
heh..I used to wonder if maybe they were just using stock footage to represent all the meth labs...apparenlty not!

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I get shocked when I look at someone's drug screen and it isn't positive for amphetamines.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
ouch. That really is bad.

You know, it really does puzzle me. I have a hard enough time taking medicine...like from a doctor or over the counter stuff. Realizing the oh so sanitary conditions of these meth labs, what on EARTH would possess someone to try it the first time? I'd be scared to death that if nothing else I'd die from ptomaine poisoning because of the open can of beanie weenies on the toilet seat beside their bathtub/chemestry set!! This isn't exactly Pfizer we're dealing with here.

Last edited:

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
eeewww...can you imagine having to clean that up? I just saw on the news where the Knoxville Zoo gave pumpkins to a lot of the animals. The elephants were just picking them up and gobbling them whole. The bears were rolling them around like balls.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We don't have anything like that 'round my place. The folks here are too busy trying to convince themselves we have "culture" that no one hosts public goof-offs.

Nothing worse than a hillbilly puttin' on airs! :)

(But we do have the meth menace here--husband has been on quite a few meth lab raids, and we have a friend who works on the local drug task force. The task force goes out on raids about once a week, sometimes more. Making that stuff is dangerous!)

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
This may not seem like a biggie, but I was in Northern Iowa, a couple years back, and they were having "tractor pulling" contest. I had never heard of such a thing. The little towns of folks would gather in a pasture, and bring refreshments, and pull tractors for leisure. Never went, but it sure was a fun event for them.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah . . .

We do have tractor pulls, Vanessa. What they do is have a sled that different classes of tractors pull, and the farther they pull, the greater the resistance from the sled. It's very noisy and smoky.

We have a township fair every August, and when I ran volunteer squad duty, I always had to go. Against my will. At least I didn't have to pay admission.

I'm okay w/ people doing that stuff and it was a bit entertaining, but the extreme noise--and the exhaust I was forced to inhale--was sucked what little bit of enjoyment there was for me.

My husband and I did go to a "Swiss festival" in Sugar Creek, Ohio, and they had a boulder-tossing contest. For some reason, that struck me as funny, watching these men pick up a small boulder to see how far they could throw it. I think maybe most of them got about 3 feet, if that. (Guess it was REALLY heavy.)

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, now -

I like tractor pulls. They're kind of neat. Especially when the owners let you perch on one of their really cool antique tractors.

<I know, I know.....get a life, right?>

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
Carole said:
What the goofiest way people amuse themselves where you live?

We watch crazy americans on TV chasing greased pigs and pulling sleds with tractors. Goofy, but so much less harmful and entertaining than invading foreign countries! Maybe if you could persuade Bush to chase the pig... or better still, grease Bush and chase him.

Seriously though, we have a cheese chasing contest.

Yes really.

Round cheeses are rolled down this really long, steep hill and people run downhill to catch them. Limbs get broken regularly.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/Story/0,2763,1495814,00.html

And shin kicking - in some areas this is a big favourite at country fairs. Two burly guys clasp eachother by the shoulders and take turns kicking eachother in the shin til one falls over.
http://www.truebrits.tv/skab/rules.html

Yes, really.

And midget tossing. Self explanatory.
http://www.geocities.com/jonnodonnis/MidgetTossing.html

Remember, yanks, no matter how wierd you get, we Brits can go better.

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I've been remiss in putting this one up because I was out of town when I heard about it, and we've had a bit of a crisis at home (our well pump has stopped working, so no water here) so I've been away from the computer for a little while.

Our local NBC news affiliate reported on a pumpkin bowling thing at one of the bowling alleys in Huntington, WV. The kicker? The caption at the bottom of the screen teasing the story "coming up" said "Bowling with Goards"

I nearly fell off the hotel room bed. My husband and I giggled about it all night long.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
WVWriterGirl said:
The caption at the bottom of the screen teasing the story "coming up" said "Bowling with Goards"

I nearly fell off the hotel room bed. My husband and I giggled about it all night long.
Hey...you might not be old enough to remember him, but when I was growing up there was a reporter on one of the local stations...Bob Brunner. Well, imagine my surprise when I moved to Knoxville and he was on one of the local stations here! His bit was called the "Tennessee Traveler". I hear he is back in WV now.

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
I remember Bob Brunner. I haven't seen him on TV 'round here, but I only watch NBC news (yeah, yeah, I know...). ANyway...remember the great Kenny Bass scandal? We still harbor ill-will for that dude...

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
We got a drag race.
I mean. We got a DRAG race.
Every year the 'queens' get all dressed up...I mean... Gorgeous dresses, boas, maribou, designer heels (You must wear heels to participate in the race) stockings, fantastic hairstyles (The salons try to outdo each other), perfect makeup...and they run a race around the Dupont Circle area. ( N.W. Washington D.C, my dear friends!) It is absolutely the best!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.