Must have to read this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

newword01

Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Just want to share an article I’ve read. Really interesting=)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
5 Most Common Grammatical Errors [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Error #1: Run-on Sentence or Comma Splice[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A run-on sentence is a sentence that joins two independent clauses without punctuation or the appropriate conjunction. A comma splice is similar to a run-on sentence, but it uses a comma to join two clauses that have no appropriate conjunction.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Error #2: Pronoun Errors[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Pronoun errors occur when pronouns do not agree in number with the nouns to which they refer. If the noun is singular, the pronoun must be singular. If the noun is plural, however, the pronoun must be plural as well.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Error #3: Mistakes in Apostrophe Usage[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Apostrophes are used to show possession. However, you do not use an apostrophe after a possessive pronoun such as my, mine, our, ours, his, hers, its, their, or theirs. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Error #4: Lack of Subject/Verb Agreement[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]When speaking or writing in the present tense, a sentence must have subjects and verbs that agree in number. If the subject is singular, the verb must be singular. If the subject is plural, the verb must be plural as well.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Error #5: Misplaced Modifiers[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]To communicate your ideas clearly, you must place a modifier directly next to the word it is supposed to modify. The modifier should clearly refer to a specific word in the sentence. [/FONT]

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you found that web site interesting although by snipping the articles they appear relatively unhelpful as shown here. To anyone unfamiliar with the terms used the hints are useless.

You may find it more helpful to browse the relative Forum and threads here before posting copy/paste snippets off web articles.

I also suspect the small print on the site concerned forbids reproduction on other sites.

Last edited:

Bigglesworth

Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Error #3: Mistakes in Apostrophe Usage[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Apostrophes are used to show possession. However, you do not use an apostrophe after a possessive pronoun such as my, mine, our, ours, his, hers, its, their, or theirs. [/FONT]
What an odd example. I can't say I've ever seen someone misuse an apostrophe in that way.

edit: oh, except maybe with "its"

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What an odd example. I can't say I've ever seen someone misuse an apostrophe in that way. Edit: oh, except maybe with "its"

I'm with you, thinking they're odd every time I see them. I just finished Guest Shot by a "pseudonym of a New York Times bestselling author." Every use of "its," meaning belonging to it, was spelled "it's."

As for the others, I taught English over 25 years. Many college writers seem compelled to write her's, our's, their's, and your's.

Many of the same stydents were so in love with the apostrophe that a bunch of hats are hat's and more than one dog is dog's.

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
I saw a photo of the cover of an issue of "Tails" magazine which had on it: "Rachel Ray finds inspiration in cooking her family and her dog." Someone left out a couple of much-needed commas.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Vomaxx, I love it! That rivals a Yahoo headline, Woman attacked by lion in fair condition. I guess if the lion had been in really great condition, he'd have killed her, huh?

I don't really love it when someone copies an article and pastes it without permission, though.

Maryn, respectful of copyright

newword01

Registered
Reaction score
Characteristics of a Good Proofreader

[FONT=&quot]So as we all know proofreaders are those who make sure that all the elements of a manuscript are done properly. So what should we remember when looking for a reliable proofreader? Let me share you some the qualities that they should have[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fond of words[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Those who are in the field of writing must possess this quality [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gets pleasure on doing his job[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The most important thing is he loves what he’s doing![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Somebody who likes to do things properly[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On being a proofreader, the task is to correct everything where it is ought to be[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Detailed and observant[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Even a single dot can bring a big mistake if not properly placed. A proofreader should be serene to see if everything is correct.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Consistent[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He must be prompt with regards to accomplishing his tasks. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Skilled [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mostly he must be acquainted about this job. He must be outstanding with his English skills as well as all the elements involve with it[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hope that you’ll find the best proofreaders out there![/FONT]

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Yeeah. Merging from WLA forum into previous thread, and locking to let it sink.

And OP has been given a time-out in hope that Don't Do This will sink in.

Status
Not open for further replies.