Using the Word "Sir" in Dialogue

Melville

Reader first, writer second
Registered
Reaction score
Should one capitalize the word sir when it's used in dialogue?
Which of the following would be correct?
"Yes sir." -or- "Yes Sir."

It depends. Is the recipient of the phrase knighted? Then it's "Yes, Sir." ;) If not, and it's just a polite reply to someone of authority: "Yes, sir." I've seen slang written as "Yessir" but not all that often. Don't forget your comma, however.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I think, capitalize Sir if you use it in place of the first name. If a character never calls John by his first name, but always calls him, "Sir." because sir has become a nickname. It's he same as if John always calls someone.

skylark

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen it capitalised and exclamation-pointed ("Yes Sir!") to indicate a particularly sharp military delivery with strong emphasis on both words. I think the comma's left out for the same reason - because in that particular response type it very much isn't there in the way it is said.

Now I'm wondering how you'd present "sir yes sir", because I suspect that strictly it ought to be "Sir, yes, sir" and that doesn't look right for the delivery it would have at all. It just looks far too laid back.

Anyone write military fiction?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen it capitalised and exclamation-pointed ("Yes Sir!") to indicate a particularly sharp military delivery with strong emphasis on both words. I think the comma's left out for the same reason - because in that particular response type it very much isn't there in the way it is said.

Now I'm wondering how you'd present "sir yes sir", because I suspect that strictly it ought to be "Sir, yes, sir" and that doesn't look right for the delivery it would have at all. It just looks far too laid back.

Anyone write military fiction?

I have. You should know that the "sir yes sir" response is particular to the Marines, and perhaps in Officer Candidate Schools and Academies (not sure about the latter, having no direct experience of those). In the U.S. Army, where I dwelt for several years, you did not call Drill Sergeants "sir", which differs from Marine practice. They were to be referred to, always, as "drill sergeant". The word "sir" was reserved for officers, including warrant officers. And the proper response was a simple "yes, sir", which is the way I've always written it.

writingismypassion

~Charity~
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting...I was going to say capitalize it as long as "Sir" is being used to address someone. Just as you would capitalize mom or dad when mom and dad are being addressed directly. I don't think I've ever seen "sir" without being capitalized.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's not capitalized, unless you're addressing someone with a title: Sir Ian McKellen.

Last edited:

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
why a comma?

If it's a brisk military response "YES SIR"

Why would you need a comma? There is no pause. I can't find any rule that would require a comma.

I like "Hey Mary," better than "Hey, Mary." Most people would blend the two words together as one when speaking. Either could be used, but they do give a different feel to the sentence."

No capital. It's not a formal name. But you do need a comma:

"Yes, sir."

in the same way you would with a formal name:

"Yes, Mary."

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Like blacbird said, it's grammatically correct to use the comma.

However, in dialogue, grammar is a bit more relaxed. I wouldn't mind seeing "yes sir" instead of "yes, sir."

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Boy, I'm glad I stumbled into this thread. For some reason capitalizing 'Sir' seemed correct to me. :D *Goes of to edit story* Thanks Greenpower for starting this subject and thanks to everyone who replied.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If it's a brisk military response "YES SIR"

Why would you need a comma? There is no pause. I can't find any rule that would require a comma.

I like "Hey Mary," better than "Hey, Mary." Most people would blend the two words together as one when speaking. Either could be used, but they do give a different feel to the sentence."

The idea that if you don't pause, there's no comma, and if there's no comma, you don't pause is a misunderstanding of comma use.

The comma marks divisions of structure within a sentence. Sometimes there's a coincidental natural pause; sometimes there isn't one.

The structure of "yes, sir" is a comma in dialog to separate the person addressed from the rest of the sentence. It's to avoid confusion, not force a pause.

Used many times here at AW as an example is eliminating the confusion between:

"Let's eat, Grandma."

and

"Let's eat Grandma."

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
I disagree

A comma is used for (1) a pause (2) a list (3) to clarify.

Since there is no pause, since it's not a list, and since it's perfectly clear w/o the comma, why use one? It's awkward.

"Hey Jude," does NOT use a comma, and it would look stupid if the Beatles had put one in. "Hey, Jude, make it better????"

Neither does "Hey Joe, where you goin' with that gun in your hand? I'm goin' down to shoot my old lady. I caught her messin' round with another man . . . "

"Yes Sir, That's My Baby" versus "Yes, Sir, That's My Baby. The former is correct, and sounds better.

Finally, if the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, and Blue Eyes aren't enough authority, I give you the comma song, written by an English teacher, which doesn't use a comma after "Hey."

http://www.songsforteaching.com/readinglanguagearts/commas.php

"Hey Momma, when do you use a comma?

Well, dear, you use it in a series....
Words in a series are in linear list
They're separated by commas, well, that is
Except the last 2 where you'll show that you're a comma whiz . . . "

Lastly, you'd be much better off writing "Grandma, lets eat." No confusion, even if you forget the comma, and more true to real life dialog. Awkward examples do not make the comma usage correct.

The idea that if you don't pause, there's no comma, and if there's no comma, you don't pause is a misunderstanding of comma use.

The comma marks divisions of structure within a sentence. Sometimes there's a coincidental natural pause; sometimes there isn't one.

The structure of "yes, sir" is a comma in dialog to separate the person addressed from the rest of the sentence. It's to avoid confusion, not force a pause.

Used many times here at AW as an example is eliminating the confusion between:

"Let's eat, Grandma."

and

"Let's eat Grandma."

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Commas are also used for direct address, which is what "yes, sir" is.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lastly, you'd be much better off writing "Grandma, lets eat." No confusion, even if you forget the comma, and more true to real life dialog. Awkward examples do not make the comma usage correct.

Shouldn't the contraction be let's? Or does the apostrophe put too long a pause in the word?

I have to admit this is the first rant against good comma use backed up by those icons of grammar, the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix. Most go with what Shakespeare never wrote but was copied third or fourth hand by hearsay.

Totally illogical but in the grandest style, pause, breathe, ever.

Edit. Changing the sentence around is always an option with examples we don't like. It's an example from a textbook.

Last edited:

OpheliaRevived

Real Men Have Gills
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
2nd poster is correct. Sir is only capatalized if it is the first word in a sentence or if the character being referred to as "sir" has the title of knight.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Even the "knighted character" usage has its quirks, "Sir" isn't used on its own, it's always used with the character's full or first name, e.g.

"And we are here tonight with Sir Ian McKellen, who has kindly agreed to give us a moment of his time. Well, Sir Ian, I think the audience agrees with me, your performance as 'Magneto' was simply magnificent."

I wouldn't put too much faith in song lyrics as a "how-to" reference. :)

-Derek

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Basically, you wouldn't capitalize sir the way you wouldn't capitalize ma'am?

Yes, sir. -- Yes, Sir.

Yes, ma'am. -- Yes, Ma'am.

The latter of the two being incorrect and, to me, look rather funny either way.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Basically, you wouldn't capitalize sir the way you wouldn't capitalize ma'am?

Yes, sir. -- Yes, Sir.

Yes, ma'am. -- Yes, Ma'am.

The latter of the two being incorrect and, to me, look rather funny either way.
Lowercase -- sir and ma'am are respectful honorifics, not titles or rank labels.

-Derek