Usage of 'suffice (it)'

Bigglesworth

Registered
Reaction score
There's a construct that's long puzzled me, so I thought I'd throw it out for discussion: is there a definite call on how something like the following should be written:

"Suffice (it) to say, the vicar had gone too far."

Should the word 'it' be used?

[SUB]Apologies if its an old chestnut; I didn't find any thread title matches after a quick search![/SUB]

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think the 'it' is implied but it's not necessarily shown.

Somebody will know for sure.

ETA- Obviously I don't! :D I know the 'it' is shown in parenthesis in the dictionary, but....one learns all the time

Last edited:

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
There's a construct that's long puzzled me, so I thought I'd throw it out for discussion: is there a definite call on how something like the following should be written:

"Suffice (it) to say, the vicar had gone too far."

Should the word 'it' be used?

[SUB]Apologies if its an old chestnut; I didn't find any thread title matches after a quick search![/SUB]
The Dictionary be your friend, matey! Arrrrrgh!

Suffice it to say

- 1 dictionary result
Idioms & Phrases
suffice it to say
It is enough to say this and no more, as in Suffice it to say that the judge was furious when the invitation was withdrawn . Late 1600s.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As it may be that . . . I mean, may that as it be. . . . No, it's that may be as it. . . . Wait! Be that as it may, those older idioms are hard on newer generations.

Bigglesworth

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all, for the feeback and resources (Callipenjo: your first link has an extraneous "http"!)

I did read somewhere previously that "suffice", as a verb, took "it" as its object, but this didn't sit too well. It's been interesting to poll the consensus here =)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It think it's an inversion... English is weird sometimes. I mean what does "come what may" mean and why not "what may come"? :) Even native speakers could scratch their heads and say, "Well, that's how it's always been..." let alone trying to confuse non-native speakers.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It think it's an inversion... English is weird sometimes. I mean what does "come what may" mean and why not "what may come"? :) Even native speakers could scratch their heads and say, "Well, that's how it's always been..." let alone trying to confuse non-native speakers.

Try using both of these. "What may come" is very difficult to use with any brevity, is clumsy at best, and doesn't even work in some cases. Come what may is not the inversion, what may come is.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The expression 'Come what may' is a much used and well known phrase.

Non-native speakers simply have to learn it - same as any other similar coloquial expression.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
How do you diagram "come what may"?

Correctly. It's in the proper order. How do you diagram "what may come"? As I said, try using both.

For instance, if someone asks, "Are are going to go to Harvard next year?"

As easy reply is, "Yes, come what may."

Try answering this with any variation of "What may come."

At best, it gets overly wordy, and at worst it sounds like you don't have English as a first langauge.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Correctly. It's in the proper order. How do you diagram "what may come"? As I said, try using both.

For instance, if someone asks, "Are are going to go to Harvard next year?"

As easy reply is, "Yes, come what may."

Try answering this with any variation of "What may come."

At best, it gets overly wordy, and at worst it sounds like you don't have English as a first langauge.

You're saying this because it's an idiom -- it's always been that way, and that's why it sounds right. It's not an explanation in terms of grammar. You're explaining it by saying, "It's always been this way."

"What may come" or "whatever may come" is grammatically correct because it adheres to the "subject+verb" syntax. In this case, "what" or "whatever" is a pronoun, "may" is a modal verb, and "come" is the verb.

"Come what may," on the other hand, is a strange construct grammatically. It doesn't adhere to the standard English syntax.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
English grammar is brutal on non-native speakers (and native speakers when they're young). For all my friends from elsewhere who ask me why, I can only say, "English is f*cked." Suffice it to say, they agree. :)

I don't know about all languages, but the ones I do know have similar idioms. I asked "why?" many times learning German in Germany and French in college.

In a class for Japanese businessmen wanting to be more familiar with Idaho idioms, one engineer became miffed at the many idioms for death and dying: "kicked the bucket," "bought the farm," "went west," "shuffled off this mortal coil," "passed away/on," etcetera.

At the end of his rant, one of his countrymen asked him to say his uncle had passed. They all laughed. He'd said something like his uncle had walked into the mist of Fujiyama.

It's not only English that's seriously coitused.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
"Come what may," on the other hand, is a strange construct grammatically. It doesn't adhere to the standard English syntax.

Yup. It's still an inversion, like "suffice it to say," but the syntax is a bit more complex:

Suffice it (to say) --> It suffice... ("Let it suffice...")

Come what may --> What may ____ come ("Let what may ___ come")

Notice something? "What may" is incomplete. It lacks the main verb, come. This ellipsis is possible, because the verb can be inferred from its prior occurance. If you undo the inversion, there is no prior inversion, so you need to put the come back in:

What may come come. ("Let what may come come.")

So: Verb[Come] Subject[What may (come)].

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Thanks! Now it makes sense.

"Let what may come come" => "Come what may"

"Let it suffice to say" => "Suffice it to say"