Oh, Hell!

MattWalker

Registered
Reaction score
So, this might be a very basic grammatical question, but honestly, I never know what to do when it's instance pops up. I've looked it up online before, but I get different answers every time. So I figured I'd see what you guys have to say.

When it comes to the word 'hell,' I never know to capitalize it or not.

I assume this: When writing about the place of damnation and fire and all that, it's capitalized. Like 'Oh, go to Hell!'

When it comes to a description of something, I assume it's not. Like 'When you go out there, give 'em hell!'

Am I right? Am I wrong? Is there a correct answer?

...WHERE IS WALDO?

Erm, thanks. :)

Nick Blaze

Jun-Ikkyu
Registered
Reaction score
When you're using it to refer to the mythological Hell, capitalize it. When it's not, do not. However, I've seen many cases where "Man, Hell will freeze over before pigs fly," and "Go to Hell" are not capital. Actually, now I'm confused...

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Hell as a place is capitalized, just like any other physical location's name.

Hell as a curse, isn't capitalized. It's not referencing the place, therefore it's not a proper noun.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Go to hell is referencing the place, but convention usually says not to cap it.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Hell is a specific place, so it would be "go to Hell."

But used as an exclamation, it's lowercased: "what the hell are you doing?"

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I never capitalize it unless it's the start of a sentence of part of the vicar's sermon.

I've seen it done both as "Go to Hell" and "Go to hell." My publishers prefer the latter, but it may just be a matter of house style. YMMV

Tracks

Registered
Reaction score
I love how the suggestions are all over the place!

I usually capitalize Hell when it's a place, and not so much when it isn't. Then again, I'm a big fan of capitalization.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a place called Hell in the Cayman Islands, too.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
In my story about some demons when they are talking about the place of Hell....I cap it. When it is just said as a cuss word....I don't. To them it is the same thing as me saying I live in America....or the USA.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
I've not used capital in any instance, not even when I scream "Go to hell!". Now that I've read the above posts, I'm going to go through my ms again and cap it where relevant.

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Hell, Norway certainly should be capitalized. The religious belief of Hell should also be capitalized, but there is a tendency for things to slip into lower case, even when it is as specific a place name as Hell.

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
The answer is: there is no correct answer, as this is a matter of style and thus has no one right answer.

The Chicago Manual of Style has an entire section devoted to this (in the 16th edition, it's 8.108: Heaven, hell and so on), which states:

Terms for divine dwelling places, ideal states, places of divine punishment, and the like are usually lowercased (though they are often capitalized in a purely religious context).

Also, do keep in mind that if you capitalize "hell" under the logic that it's a "physical location", then you must also capitalize "heaven".