• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What POV should be used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark huntress

Live to write. Write to live.
Registered
Reaction score
I am writing in first person, however there are several places in my story where I need to describe an outside scene that none of the characters can see since they are all indoors. When doing this, what POV should be used?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I am writing in first person, however there are several places in my story where I need to describe an outside scene that none of the characters can see since they are all indoors. When doing this, what POV should be used?

If none of the characters can see it, it would have to be omniscient. But I'd advise strongly against mixing in this way. There's always a way to get the information in using first person, or third person limited.

Ryan

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Jamesaritchie. Without knowing the details of your story, I have to ask, how necessary is it for your reader to know about these events before your main characters? Sometimes it's more enjoyable to discover things along with them. Alternatively, could you assume the POV of someone who happens to be present for the events?

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Well, that is part of using the first person pov. The person can't know what he/she doesn't witness, experience - or is told.

Telling is not always bad. It can be downright fascinating, when done correctly, and when done in the voice of a person (character) who is interesting in and of themselves. Someone stumbles in from a storm, sort of collapses in front of the fire. People (incl. your MC) rush around to get him a drink, a blanket, a cup of grog (whatever) and he manages to tell a story of monsters and mayhem just outside the castle walls before his coat opens and everyone sees the gaping wound in his chest, from which he expires...

Anyhow, don't be afraid of a little 'tell,' when done right and in this case, it can be done right.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Can you work in something like a news report or a radio bulletin about the outside scene that would convey the information without your MC being there?

You can always give another character a voice in that scene and let them narrate what's going on, but it's going to read strangely if that character only gets one POV chapter.

Sarah Madara

Freeway stomper extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
It depends, IMO: Are you saying the first-person narrator never finds out what's happening outside? If the POV character will get the information one way or the other, then I would probably opt to stay in the first person POV and let the reader learn along with the POV character.

If, on the other hand, you want the reader to know something that the POV character cannot ever know (and you are 100% sure of this decision), then you probably want to go to omniscient for those scenes.

If the book is written in first person past tense, then it's unusual for the narrator to not have access to all the information that is crucial to the story. I'm not into hard and fast rules, so I won't say not to do it. However, I think that sort of unconventional approach requires extra finesse to pull it off without irritating the reader.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

Find another way to reveal that information, or else you'd have to write the whole thing in omniscient.

Ask yourself: is it really important to describe the scene(s) that none of your characters could witness?

A storyteller isn't a record-keeper. You don't need to tell everything. You need to find a way to reveal information outside of the POV.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
If, on the other hand, you want the reader to know something that the POV character cannot ever know (and you are 100% sure of this decision), then you probably want to go to omniscient for those scenes.

It's usually a bad idea to mix POVs like that, especially just for plot convenience. Who is telling the story? The first person narrator? Or an omniscient narrator? When a writer does that, I'd say he or she lacks the discipline and a change like that would also jar me out of the story.

Sarah Madara

Registered
Reaction score
It's usually a bad idea to mix POVs like that, especially just for plot convenience. Who is telling the story? The first person narrator? Or an omniscient narrator? When a writer does that, I'd say he or she lacks the discipline and a change like that would also jar me out of the story.

I disagree. Any and all combinations of POVs can and have been used with great success by talented writers making artistic choices that worked.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I disagree. Any and all combinations of POVs can and have been used with great success by talented writers making artistic choices that worked.

Can you give me a few examples where a mix of first person and omniscient works well in a single work? I'm curious.

Sarah Madara

Registered
Reaction score
Can you give me a few examples where a mix of first person and omniscient works well in a single work? I'm curious.

I'll admit that one's hard without some research, as it isn't done much. I believe Bleak House mixes first and omniscient. I think House of Leaves used both forms of narration, and while it's not everyone's cup of tea, I certainly liked it.

I've mentioned Freedom a number of times in POV threads. It does not use 1st person, but rather switches between omniscient, sections of an autobiography written in 3rd person, and regular old close third. While the autobiographical sections are in third person, you never lose awareness of the first person narrator who is telling the story in third, and therefore I'm going to count it :D

I thought you were arguing equally against all shifts in POV. Did I read that wrong? Do you think a shift to close third or a different first person POV is less jarring? It doesn't seem that way to me, but different readers have different preferences.

The other combinations are much more common. I assumed it was because omniscient simply isn't used much anymore, but maybe there's more to it than that. Anyway, a couple of examples just to cover my bases:
- Mixed 1st person was enormously popular in The Help. I personally find that the most jarring of all POV shifts, but I'm just one reader.
- Mixed 1st and third close is done all the time. I recently finished reading Sarah's Key, which was a phenomenal book and the POV shifts worked beautifully.

As I said, including an omniscient POV (or even a close third if it isn't a major character) would be unconventional, and therefore require more finesse.

ETA: How could I forget Faulkner? I'm going to go ahead and guess that the OP isn't shooting for a Faulkneresque (Faulknerian? Fucked up?) novel, but if she is, she can check out The Sound and the Fury.

Very last edit, really: Won't be online for a while, so Maestro, I can't rebut if when you shoot me down... Sorry to abandon the thread mid-argument :D

Last edited:

Dark huntress

Registered
Reaction score
Some good answers here. Thank you all.

I can't use my main character because I want to describe the night of her birth. I want it to be emotional and I need to describe the scene to provoke that emotion. Others that are present in the room play no role in the story. They are "extras". The scene for this one part of the chapter will be the MC.

Having someone come in from the outside to describe the scene is not possible nor is a tv or radio broadcast. I can't do it in a flashback since the character was being born and I can't use the mother since she dies during childbirth. There is a very important plot element that occurs here and the reader needs to know. I can think of no other way to do it except perhaps in the omniscient POV.

..the scene is visual and needs to be described. Retelling it later just wouldn't work for the story.

This brief scene will be the first paragraph in the first chapter. After this the MC will take over...much older of course. Maybe use it as a prologue ?

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I have no problem with mixing POVs when it make sense, and 1st/3rd mix (in this case, the 1st person narrative reads like diary and personal, but the 3rd limited creates a distance), or 3rd limited multiple is rather common. However, I'm having trouble recalling any books that is a mix of 1st/omniscient. That's why I asked. To me, switching from 1st to omniscient and then back requires a huge shift -- from a very limited form of storytelling (1st person) to an "all-knowing" narrative. It's jarring for that reason: one minute we're in the skin of a character and can only know what he or she knows and thinks and feels, and the next we're told by an all-knowing narrator what else is going on.

To me, it's even more jarring if omniscient is mixed with limited. Now you have TWO 3rd-person narrators: one is all-knowing, and another limited. So which is which? More often than not, what people think is a mix of 3rd limited and omniscient is simply omniscient with a tight focus: e.g. Harry Potter. Many people mistake it as 3rd limited with the occasional omniscient observations, but in fact the whole thing was written in omniscient with tight focus on Harry Potter.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
What if I dropped first and did third limited or third omnipresent ?

Personally I think it's more natural to have 3rd limited (multiple view points if you have multiple main characters) or simply 3rd omniscient through and through, maybe with a tight focus (e.g. Harry Potter).

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I am writing in first person, however there are several places in my story where I need to describe an outside scene that none of the characters can see since they are all indoors.

The very first question you should be asking yourself, and demanding a serious answer for, is: WHY?

For starters, if you're writing in first-person, why are you even concerned that any character outside your POVnarrator (none of the characters can see since they are all indoors) be able to see what's going on?

Last edited:

Dark huntress

Registered
Reaction score
The reader needs to "see" what is happening because the MC can't describe it, it is the night of her birth. Others that are present are inside as well and they are not part of the story. No one is outside to describe the scene and the important even that takes place during the birthing .

The reader needs to see this, it is am emotional description of the entire scene both inside and outside. The mc can't tell it. She is being born. Can't use 1st person.

The reader will see the event but it is only later in the story that they will understand it's meaning.

After that brief description, the story will start in third person. I had to drop 1st person.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Can you tell it from the POV of MC's mother or father or whoever witnessed the birth? You said no one witnessed it. But obviously at least one person would be present: the mother.

It also sounds like backstory here. Is it absolutely necessary?

If so, then you either will have to write it omniscient, or if you prefer 3rd limited, you'd have to somehow tell it from a POV that is present during the birth. Or, if you're doing this as a prologue, then you can use omniscient... but that would further sets the prologue apart from the rest of your story.

It's your choice.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Others that are present are inside as well and they are not part of the story.

If "they are not part of the story", why do you even mention them here? They are not part of the story.

No one is outside to describe the scene and the important even that takes place during the birthing.

So how does anyone ever know what has happened?

The reader needs to see this, it is am emotional description of the entire scene both inside and outside.

The bolded phrase is the first thing you need to seriously address. Again, the operative question is: WHY?

The reader will see the event but it is only later in the story that they will understand it's meaning.

Honestly, this sounds horribly confusing and clumsy to me, reacting as a reader. If any event takes place that is important to the story, SOMEBODY has to witness it, unless you choose to retreat into a very distancing omniscient narrative viewpoint. Which sounds to me inappropriate. Why not have some character having actually witnessed whatever event it is, and relate it at some appropriate time later to your heroine, and thereby to the reader?

Don't make the mistake of assuming your reader needs to know everything you, the writer, knows, at every moment. Reading is not writing.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Since it's at the very beginning, you really may have more options. But I hesitate to say that, because agents and publishers appear to be less interested in artsy stuff that I like from a new writer. From an artistic standpoint, you could pull it off, theoretically (imho).

Ray, John Connolly's The Unquiet did some unusual things with POV. I liked it. Omni came out of the woodwork, along with paranormal stuff, in a book that had been straight Limited 3rd and 1st (different characters). The Limited 3rd went omni, so it could have been that it was really 1st + omni all along. I thought it worked really well, but tastes differ on that, for sure. And clearly, he is allowed to play around a bit. I have no idea if an agent would have seen what I saw had it been his first work.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Honestly, this sounds horribly confusing and clumsy to me, reacting as a reader. If any event takes place that is important to the story, SOMEBODY has to witness it, unless you choose to retreat into a very distancing omniscient narrative viewpoint. Which sounds to me inappropriate. Why not have some character having actually witnessed whatever event it is, and relate it at some appropriate time later to your heroine, and thereby to the reader?

I do agree with this. If it's important and emotional (to who?), then somebody must have witnessed or experienced it. Then why not tell it from that perspective, so we get to experience the emotions and importance? Why use a distant, omniscient narrator for it, simply because all the other "main characters" are not in this scene?

POV has less to do with event reporting and more to do with emotions: whose POV it is, and how close you want the readers to be? Fiction is about emotions, or else we'd be reporting news (even news reporting has a lot to do with emotions). So if you choose an omniscient view point, which is by nature distant, to reveal information that is supposed to be emotional, then it seems counter-intuitive. Why not choose a POV that is close to the event? If not the MC (since she was being born), then how about the mother?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
The way you describe the scene, it sounds like pure backstory. In that case, I would suggest writing it as a 3rd person prologue. Then write the rest of the story. Most likely, you'll find when you're finished, that you can cut that prologue all together.

Either that, or you can have someone have told the MC about her birth. If there was something remarkable about it, someone would have mentioned it at some point in her life. Even if she wasn't aware as she was being born; she'd still know what happened.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com

Read a mystery like that. Can't think of the author offhand, but I ran into one that mixed THREE different viewpoints. It was about a forensics anthropogist who was suffering from a medical problem. The story opened in omni, went to first and switched between that and third. The omni wasn't a good use -- it showed the body being found by an unknown person, then told us the same thing in the next twenty pages in first person.

whimsical rabbit

Bunned
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with everything that Ray said, more or less. I don't see switching between first and omniscient working, although this is just my opinion.

Alternatively, I too thought of Cyia's suggestion:

(...)you can have someone have told the MC about her birth. If there was something remarkable about it, someone would have mentioned it at some point in her life. Even if she wasn't aware as she was being born; she'd still know what happened.

Many a time we see characters reporting events as narrated by others. Think of "Wuthering Heights" for instance (not my favourite, but the easiest example that comes to mind). That way you also enhance characterisation for the person that narrated the story to your protagonist.

Status
Not open for further replies.