how long to hear after reading period closes?

turningpoint

Registered
Reaction score
Some independent publishers have open reading periods. After these close, how long does it usually take for the publisher to respond to your submission? I suppose this must vary across the board, but does one wait months and months or weeks and weeks? Is it similar to waiting on an agent?

Thanks in advance

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
All I've encountered give a timeline for how long it will take before you hear back, or know it's a rejection and should just move on.

But if they give no timeline, it can be days, weeks, or several months.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Some independent publishers have open reading periods. After these close, how long does it usually take for the publisher to respond to your submission? I suppose this must vary across the board, but does one wait months and months or weeks and weeks? Is it similar to waiting on an agent?

moved to where?

Leslie,

If the publisher does not give a timeline for response to your work, you can hear back within a few days, weeks, or even months. However, if the publisher does give a timeline and you don't hear within that window, you can take it as a rejection and move on to submitting your work to other markets.

Agents don't generally have a reading period, and if they do it will be at their website. Some agents give a response time, some say they will respond only if interested. It all depends.