Gay MCs for non-gay audiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
By 'gay audiences' I mean, for example, the audiences of gay interest novels, which are clearly labelled as such. So I'm talking about a wider general audience here.

This question is asked half for me, half for my friend (also an aspiring writer and always has been) but I don't actually know what he's writing so I'll use my own example.

Recently I made this thread about my MC for my upcoming WIP and got the advice, as you can see, to make him just an all-round deeper person.

So I figured if I'm writing this character and need to get in his head, I could put a little bit of me into him. Well, more than I have already. And fine-tune it a little.

Basically when it comes down to it, I'm toying around in my mind with potentially making my MC gay. Now I want to be clear, his potential sexuality won't be a big plot point so it's not going to be (and forgive the wording here) shoved down anyone's throats.

It's just that, in my mind right now, I needed a way of explaining the character's awkward, self-conscious and slightly paranoid behavioural tendencies.

And I remember a while back I knew a gay guy who's old-fashioned homophobic parents had messed him up so badly that he really was a socially maladjusted mess around most people he didn't know very well and I figure a character with deep personal demons and deep-seated issues is more interesting than one who's just a social mess for the sake of being a social mess.

The problem I'm thinking about here is...will the general audience (who are obviously predominantly heterosexual) be less willing to read and potentially buy a novel/novella that features a homosexual main character?

I mean, if my personal experience is anything to go by, British 'cozy' mystery investigation is read quite a lot by middle-aged(ish) women...since every one of my mum's vast pool of friends all love mystery fiction be it written or visual. But I do assume there are a large number of younger, male readers of such works and I'm worried about losing a significant portion of my potential audience (provided I ever actually finish and publish the thing) because of a simple bit of characterisation.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the general straight consensus about reading non-gay-interest books that have gay MCs. I'm not exactly an expert on straight people's mindsets...I still can't even figure out why they're so fascinated with boobs. :Shrug:

Oh, and another thing. Is there any significant change in opinion about homosexual MCs when the character in question is a lesbian, as opposed to a gay man?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Does anyone have any knowledge of the general straight consensus about reading non-gay-interest books that have gay MCs.

There is no consensus, because there is no general reading audience. Everyone's tastes are pretty different. Some people will skip a book with a gay protag. Some people will buy it because there is a gay protag. Some people will read it because the story sounds good, gay protag or not.

Write the story you want to write, and write the character who's in your head.

Jonathan Dalar

Science fiction, horror and fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jonathandalar.blogspot.com
Well, speaking from a straight man's perspective, I could read a book with that kind of character, as long as it wasn't overdone. Knowing he's gay to explain some behavior and history we see in the book is fine. I don't want to think about anything more than that personally, and if you don't make me, then we're fine.

It seems to be similar to what we see reflected in society. Knowing someone is gay isn't a big deal anymore. Showing us that he is, well, you're going to lose some audience there.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Focus on writing a damn good story with universal themes (meaning, it's not focused on niche issues such as gay right, etc.) with good characters. You'd be surprised how much of a non-issue it is for the general readership. Most people know gay people, have gay friends or families, or are gay themselves. And those who have trouble with gay characters? They're not your target audience anyway.

You can't write to please everyone. It's impossible.

If you write with the internal stigma that "gay" = bad/unpublishable/unmarketable, then you need to adjust your own attitude first.

zegota

Fantastic!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewborgard.com
I've had this dilemma too, but at some point, you just have to say screw it. I have a secondary POV character whose homosexual relationships are very important to his character, and he couldn't really be written any other way, in my opinion. If you're randomly throwing in homosexuality to be a "quirk," then yeah, maybe I'd advise against it. If it's an important part of your character, however, keep it.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the general straight consensus about reading non-gay-interest books that have gay MCs. I'm not exactly an expert on straight people's mindsets...I still can't even figure out why they're so fascinated with boobs.

There's no consensus among straight folks any more than there is a consensus among gay folks on any given topic. I would have absolutely no problem with a gay character. Some would. Hell, some people refuse to read a protagonist that's not the same gender as them. You can't really write to please those people.

Oh, and another thing. Is there any significant change in opinion about homosexual MCs when the character in question is a lesbian, as opposed to a gay man?

Unfortunately, probably yes, at least for male readers. For those who just lean homophobic, male-male relationships are icky and gross, while female-female relationships are HOT HOT HOT!

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Count me in the group of straight men who couldn't care less if a MC is gay or what he gets up to (or who he gets up for that matter). Just ensure it serves the story as well as obviously having a story worth reading.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There are plenty of books with gay MCs that are not consigned to gay-special-interest in the fantasy and literary areas. Fantasy especially with MZB, Huff, Lackey, Flewelling etc. And of course M/M romance.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't shy away from writing a gay MC if that's who you want to write about. I guarantee that there will always be homophobic douches in the world who think that love is yucky and who won't read your book because it has a gay protagonist. That won't stop your book from sold/read/enjoyed/awesome. Is it a harder sell? Probably--so is any book about minority characters. Further, I would suggest that the people too frightened to read such a book be invited to suck it.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Hey RA,

It comes down to your style of writing.

Basically, does the sexuality matter?

He/she could be a Liverpool or Man U supporter. Even a Celtic or a Rangers fan.

So why not just hint, the show and tell thing... unless you want to make a definitive statement.

It's your world remember.

Regards

Whacko

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Basically, does the sexuality matter?
As I see the novella working out right now, only minorly.

Basically, the issue of the MC being gay and screwed up by his parents' and other people's oppressive views on it will help him connect with one character. Other than that I don't see it as being made a big deal of.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and gay or bi MC detective/mystery--lots of that too.
Weirdly that's actually what I'm writing. haha

Which is what led to this question. In all the mysteries I've seen/read I've never seen homosexuality as a characterisation point for any of the detectives/investigators, it's always been a part of the motive for either the crime or other nefarious acts.

So that got me thinking about this whole business.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
As I see the novella working out right now, only minorly.

Basically, the issue of the MC being gay and screwed up by his parents' and other people's oppressive views on it will help him connect with one character. Other than that I don't see it as being made a big deal of.

That's even better. It conjures up ambiguity of sorts.

Is your MC gay?

Or is he reacting to the conventions that his parents put upon him?

And can you decide on his sexuality?:tongue

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
For detective fiction you should look at these authors, in roughly chronological order: Joseph Hansen, Dan Kavanagh (bi), Nathan Aldyne, Michael Nava, Mark Richard Zubro, Michael Craft and Josh Lanyon (amongst many others).

The degree to which the character is sexually active or gay issues are central to the plot varies widely. But most of these are in the general readership area. I bought my copies mostly off the shelf in chain stores in the general mystery/fiction areas with the exception of Lanyon who was in 'gay interest'.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to phrase this so it makes sense, but if the sexuality mattered, I wouldn't read the book. I guess what I really mean is that a gay protagonist wouldn't bother me, but I have absolutely no desire to read about gay sex or gay romance.

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with JAR.

I love Logo. and Ru Paul's Drag Race is my favorite show on TV. I even lip synced for my life with a friend at my wedding. I love the documentaries too. A touch of pink is on of my fav movies. but yeah, If the MC is gay and thats a part of who they are, that's fine. I'm here for the story and it's just a different culture.

but romance and erotica outside of my tastes, aren't for me. just like I wouldn't want a BDSM novel. but if the MC happens the be into that and it's not a focus of the story, I don't mind.

ETA: my mom, who isn't into "the whole gay thing" (mums are adorable) finds RPDR hilarious and awesome and loved the episode where they "read" each other. She generally, like in real life, doesn't see it as more different than a show about Black people or Asians or Psychics...

Last edited:

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Is your MC gay?

Or is he reacting to the conventions that his parents put upon him?
This is actually what I was leaning towards. I never pictured him as "his parents found out he was gay, or suspected he was gay, and abused him for it".

I had it more as "his parents were just naturally, openly and unapologetically homophobic in every-day life and he possibly compensated his inability to physically rebel by subconciously adopting the mindset of thinking he was gay as a kind of internal spite"

I'm not sure how to phrase this so it makes sense, but if the sexuality mattered, I wouldn't read the book. I guess what I really mean is that a gay protagonist wouldn't bother me, but I have absolutely no desire to read about gay sex or gay romance.
No I can make sense of that. A protagonist who happens to be gay is fine but if the books starts showing or being about distinctly gay romance or gay sex, then you'd be turned off of it.

Makes perfect sense.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I agree with JAR.

but romance and erotica outside of my tastes, aren't for me. just like I wouldn't want a BDSM novel. but if the MC happens the be into that and it's not a focus of the story, I don't mind.

But that has nothing to do with gay or straight. I don't read romance or erotica either, gay or straight.

However, if I read about a character who is straight or gay, I assume he or she has a sex life. And if that's described, I wouldn't mind too much, as long it's relevant and not gratuitous. If there's a sex scene, it depends on how it's done. Again, gay or straight, it doesn't make a difference. It's just not something I seek out to read, but if it's integral to the story, no big deal. If it's poorly done, then it's bad whether it's gay or straight.

Now, if a reader doesn't mind the mention of heterosexual relationships/sex but is turned off by gay relationships and sex, then it's their prerogative. Like I said before, you can't write to please everyone. Such people (JAR, for example) simply isn't your target audience. I don't read epic fantasies or erotica either, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't write it.

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is actually what I was leaning towards. I never pictured him as "his parents found out he was gay, or suspected he was gay, and abused him for it".

I had it more as "his parents were just naturally, openly and unapologetically homophobic in every-day life and he possibly compensated his inability to physically rebel by subconciously adopting the mindset of thinking he was gay as a kind of internal spite"

Meh. Why would an adult secretly think he's gay in order to upset his parents? This makes no sense to me. Even as dumb teenage rebellion, this doesn't really make sense--it's hard enough being actually gay in oppressive circumstances, why would he fake it for funsies?

movieman

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Website
worldsunimagined.blogspot.com
I can't help but feel that having the character be gay but not in a manner that's important to the story is only likely to hurt sales. I would expect that to turn off a subset of potential readers without offering enough to bring in people who'd want to read about a gay guy whose sexuality is important to the story.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
In addition to veinglory's excellent list, let me add Lev Raphael, whose gay sleuth is an introspective New York professor.

And there are kajillions of lesbian and bi female sleuths in strong-selling series out there.

I once heard a paper at an academic conference that took the position that gay, lesbian, bi, queer, and trans sleuths were particularly satisfying characters to most readers, as it seems logical that some of the same skills many LGBTQ folks use to stay safe in a homophobic/transphobic society--observation of surroundings, close reading of strangers' attitudes and moods, time spent "acting" a role while closeted, etc.--are key skills for a good detective. It made sense to me.

And not every book has to be for everyone. People who wouldn't read your book because of homophobia would probably find something else to object to in it anyway.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Mainstream/literary fiction with main or major gay characters (and yes, some of them even have sex):

- The World According to Garp
- The Wonder Boys
- The Hours
- Harry Potter (although the character's sexuality isn't specified)
- The Color Purple
- Three Junes

Last edited:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Weirdly that's actually what I'm writing. haha

Which is what led to this question. In all the mysteries I've seen/read I've never seen homosexuality as a characterisation point for any of the detectives/investigators, it's always been a part of the motive for either the crime or other nefarious acts.

So that got me thinking about this whole business.

My MC is the detective in my story and is gay, and has only recently figured this out. In mine it just came out through the development of one of the plot lines and since it fits the character and I don't feel it's overdone (hopefully), I'm keeping it.

Deleted member 42

You know I am constantly bemused by the way many peoples' minds immediately go to sex if there's any reference at all, however slight, to a character not being heteronormative.

As in this case, with YA authors Jessica Verday and Seannan McGuire.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I would read it. If it was a romance and/or erotica,it wouldn't bother me at all as long as the novel was written well. It doesn't matter to me about the sexuality of the character. How is it that sex is the FIRST thing to come to mind with a gay protagonist? I was thinking of a detective, doctor,every day guy,etc.

I cannot stand the Sad Gay trope in writing. I expect a character to go through it,but I don't want sadness,tears,and Gawd forbid, wanting to off himself because of his sexuality. A lil drama is fine,though! Plus,some angst with a hot boyfriend. Lots of it. I just LOVE angsty relationships.

Just write the story and character as you like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.