Is 'jamp' a word?

kwils

Registered
Reaction score
According to my 11yo, 'jamp' is the past tense of 'jump'. Everyone in his class uses it, he says, and he's seen it in his assigned reading. (Of course, this is the same kid who tends to read the beginnings and endings of words and guess at the middle so I've asked that he show me the assignment.)

A quick google search turned up that jamp=jumped is a valid usage in some parts of Scotland, but we live in the US Rocky Mountains! His younger brother, who attends the same school two grades down, says he hasn't heard the word being used like that.

Is this someone's verbal mistake that's gone viral in this 5th grade class, or is there some legitimate outside source? Has anyone else heard of this one?

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Yes I've heard it. And cringed.

But it'll probably be in the dictionary soon.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since "jamp" isn't in any of my US dictionaries, I went to the online Urban Dictionary (not always the most reliable of sources), which had all sorts of entries from rare colloquial Scottish for past tense of jump to a made-up word for a thing (like widget) to the acronym for "just-ate-must-poop."

I don't know if a word popular in a fifth grade class is exactly "viral," but as fifth graders, we used lots of cute foreign words to confuse and confound those around us.

agent.grey

Registered
Reaction score
I have encountered it in Angus (in Sotland), but as a local dialect thing. Would be accepted in a book written in dialect, but I am pretty sure an English teacher would correct a student trying to use it in everyday writing.

Does your community happen to have particularly strong Sottish roots?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Yes I've heard it. And cringed.

But it'll probably be in the dictionary soon.
It depends on what you mean by soon, and by dictionary:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jamp

(ETA: I see Chase already found that)

I read through the first two definitions and thought OMG, could this be a perfectly clean entry? Then I read the last one. At least it's probably acceptable for an 11 year old (the acronym ends in poop so they'll love it), though it either indicates remarkably fast digestion or food poisoning.

But then since his classmates are using the word, I'd not show that to him, so at least it will put off a year or two of them finding it on their own.

But yeah, people invent new words all the time, often the same meaning like the Scottish usage. Such words often don't go anywhere, but sometimes they catch on hella fast. :)

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
According to my 11yo, 'jamp' is the past tense of 'jump'.

I'm going to start using it. I think it's the prettiest thing. Thank your 11-year-old for me :)

The one thing I stetted after the copyeditor had been through Old Novel was my eight-year-old mc's use of "furtherest". Okay, it's not a word - but it should be.

Last edited:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I think its slang for Jewish Vamp. Not sure if vamp is short for vampire or a female vixen though.

I could be wrong...

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields
Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
When I saw it, I thought of it as an alteration of champ/chomp, much like what jam is.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I have never heard of "jamp" especially being the past tense of "jump."

And I do not want to hear it again.

STKlingaman

Followed the Red Brick Road
Registered
Reaction score
It can be if a character in your story
uses it (and it's explained, at some point).

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's not a word, and an example of why so many kids are growing up only semi-literate.

Kids always screw up words, tense, and everything else. Their future depends on whether adults around them know better, and correct them.

Jonathan Dalar

Science fiction, horror and fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jonathandalar.blogspot.com
It's not a word, and an example of why so many kids are growing up only semi-literate.

Kids always screw up words, tense, and everything else. Their future depends on whether adults around them know better, and correct them.

Word.

And if we aren't at least a little strict on enforcing and teaching the rules, the English language is going to continue to degrade to the point where slang is the norm.

I know I come off sounding a little like a purist here. I don't mean to. I think new words have a definite place in the dictionary, but it should be new words like "blog", and not aberrations of words we already have. The past tense of "jump" is "jumped". There was no real word for what a "blog" was, or how one "blogged", and so there is a place for that type of word in the dictionary.

It's a small distinction, sure, but an essential one.

Deleted member 42

It's a dialectical back-formation used in Northern dialects for a very brief period; last attested in print in 1767.

It is not standard today, even in Scots.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Overstating, much? I think it's a pretty word: it has its tiny place in linguistic history and it's a terrific opening for a discussion about how languages change and develop. Bad grammar is one thing, but I think a rich language like English should celebrate the little lost and hidden words. New ones are constantly arriving - it's good to be able to find some of the old ones reappearing from time to time.

Last edited:

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's quite common in south west Scotland - I've heard it used quite often in Ayrshire, which is Burns country no less.

Regards

Whacko

Reaction score
It's a dialectical back-formation used in Northern dialects for a very brief period; last attested in print in 1767.

It is not standard today, even in Scots.
Yup.

It might be common in some parts of Scotland, but those would be the parts populated by illiterate knuckle-draggers.

misslissy

Only a sassbucket sometimes.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
womeneverywhere.wordpress.com
I think it's just they decided to take jump and try and make it past tense like some other words (think swam), instead of making it the real past tense. Kids do stuff like this.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes, it makes my teeth curl...

A friend of mine (all grown up, not a kid) told me he 'tret' himself to an ice-cream. 'Tret' being the past tense of 'treat', of course.

I nearly 'bet' him about the head.

Reaction score
"Put your keys in a safe place so you don't loss them," makes me want to kill people.

I hate people sometimes. Actually, make that all the time.