What do you guys think? Good or bad?

Mayusan

Registered
Reaction score
March 5th, about 3 days after a publisher received my proposal, they asked for a few extra chapters. just under 3 weeks later they said they'd love to read my full manuscript. Once it was sent they said they would make their final decision within 2 to 3 weeks.

it is almost 4 weeks now. Usually their replies are pretty quick. is it a good sign that they are taking longer than estimated, a bad sign, or am I reading too much into the longer wait time?

I'm hoping it's a good sign because they liked the proposal enough to ask for the extra chapters, liked the extra chapters enough to say they wanted to see the full manuscript... but I could be over-thinking it because I'm so nervous.

jacket

Registered
Reaction score
Probably overthinking it. Most likely they just got busy and haven't gotten to it yet. Either way, they have your full manuscript, and that alone is pretty exciting. I know the waiting game is tough--a real head trip sometimes. Best of luck!

Mayusan

Registered
Reaction score
waiting is really tough. that's why I'm overthinking this. I'm trying to be optimistic since they liked the proposal enough to ask for extra chapters, and those extra chapters enough to ask for the full manuscript. I'm just so nervous. I think my fingers and toes are stuck in the crossed position. lol

DSA

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
We've got our fingers crossed for you, too. Good luck!

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Regardless, not a lot you can do about it so just wait, I suppose, hard as it is to do! Got my fingers crossed for you.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Mayusan, go write something else. It'll take your mind off the waiting. And I have my fingers crossed for you.

(You have checked this publisher out properly, haven't you? I hope so. Good luck.)

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Bear in mind that this has been a really busy month with the London book fair, and many publishers and agents will have been out of action for a week or so, and it will take a couple of weeks longer for them to catch up than usual.

Daddyo

been around a while
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say that a 2-3 week turnaround for a full is pretty darned quick. I'd give 'em six weeks and then contact them with a "waz up?"

AngelaT.Marie

Hopeless Romantic<3
Registered
Reaction score
Website
novelistangelatmarie.blogspot.com
Mayusan, go write something else. It'll take your mind off the waiting.

This. If you just sit at your computer waiting for an answer you'll go insane! Maybe writing something new or if the anticipation is giving you writer's block, maybe busy yourself with something else. Waiting is always a nice excuse to pick up a new hobby.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I also think 2-3 weeks is really kind of fast -- four to eight weeks more likely. Regardless, after 4 weeks, think positively. You'll soon know.

spokenword

Registered
Reaction score
That you have gotten this far is a success. The rest is being at the right place at the right time, and could take a while (months. . . ) or not. (!) If it doesn't sell this time, though, take heart. There's a reason it's getting this close. People are taking time to consider your book, and this doesn't happen to everyone. You'll hear, "work on a new project" a lot. If you can, do.