what connotation does "adonian" have

Alias

Registered
Reaction score
I used the word Adonian as a title for a teacher/master type person in my novel (fantasy), a derivation of the herbrew "adonai" which mean "lord." Recently, I found out that Adonian is an actual term used to describe someone or something who is like the greek mythical hero Adonis.

Since I didn't know about this, I'm hoping that not many people do, but that's why I'm asking. I would also like to know what connotation Adonian brings to mind, and if that connotation fits the personality I want to put on these characters.

thanks

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reading your thread title, I figured the Greek god Adonis as well. I am familiar with the meaning of the Hebrew adonai only from my self-pursued Bible studies. I think most general readers will be more familiar with "he had the body of Adonis" rather than as a nickname for YHWH.

I picture Adonis like Michelangelo's David.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
A writer should never ever EVER assume readers won't know a detail that the writer found to be obscure. They will. It's best to change something that doesn't work the way you intended than to assume that no one will know.

And for the record, I'm familiar with both (Adonis and adonai), and from the thread title, I thought it was going to be about the former.

Alias

Registered
Reaction score
Would any of you recommend (1) I change the name to something simmilar (2) something completely different, or (3) that I don't really need to change it at all.

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
you need to change it as using it this way suggests you don't care about your reader's knowledge base and are presuming that they are of an equal or lower intelligence than yourself -- that takes a lot of nerve (or plain brazen misguided arrogance).

I instantly thought Adonis the perfect man-god. I was readied to tell the mythology as well as I thought that was what you were asking - connotation and derived etymology.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Would any of you recommend (1) I change the name to something simmilar (2) something completely different, or (3) that I don't really need to change it at all.
I'd go for option (2) and move away from the unwanted connection most folks seem to be making.

-Derek

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
I too thought of Adonis first, and trying to tie your fictional title to the Hebrew adonai would be tricky. There will be people who find it offensive.

I would suggest using something completely different.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would also like to know what connotation Adonian brings to mind. . . .

As with others, the word "adonian" brought to my mind a perfect male specimen.

However, had the word been adonai, I would have recognized the Hebrew connection. Not because I'm such a great scholar, but because I've just recently re-read Harry Kemelman's Rabbi David Small mystery series.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought Adonai.

Alias

Registered
Reaction score
you need to change it as using it this way suggests you don't care about your reader's knowledge base and are presuming that they are of an equal or lower intelligence than yourself -- that takes a lot of nerve (or plain brazen misguided arrogance).

I'm sorry I didn't make this clear, but the "Adonians" of my story are actually supposed to be superior, strong, near-perfect (in the eyes of the people), almost like chosen ones of a high order. I actually wanted people to have a certain preconception of the word that was similar to Adonis, which is why I asked the question.

Seeing the responses, however, I'll try to find something else.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Um, but don't the responses suggest that if people have any preconceptions at all, they were exactly what you were going for?

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
ditto, ditto. And plus, if this is a fantasy novel set on an alternate world, then you can morph words a bit to fit your need. Adonian sounds like a good way to go to me.

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. I thought of Adonis but that does not mean it won't work.