Your verbal ticks.

Ludicrum

Registered
Reaction score
While editing my novel it suddenly occurred to me that I have a strange habit of suddenly throwing the word "suddenly" into my narrative. The word makes a sudden appearance, halts the flow of the sentence, then suddenly vanishes.

"But how can this be?" I exclaimed. "Surely I would have noticed this sooner!"

"Not necessarily," my inner critic pointed out. "You do have quite the love affair with that word."

"I do not!" I protested.

"You also use 'said bookisms' a little too often," he observed. "You particularly enjoy using the word 'protested' in your dialogue tags whenever a character disagrees with something."

"That's not true!" I protested.

"There! You just did it again!" he laughed.

"I suddenly wish you would shut the hell up," I protested.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
While editing my novel it suddenly occurred to me that I have a strange habit of suddenly throwing the word "suddenly" into my narrative. The word makes a sudden appearance, halts the flow of the sentence, then suddenly vanishes.

"But how can this be?" I exclaimed. "Surely I would have noticed this sooner!"

"Not necessarily," my inner critic pointed out. "You do have quite the love affair with that word."

"I do not!" I protested.

"You also use 'said bookisms' a little too often," he observed. "You particularly enjoy using the word 'protested' in your dialogue tags whenever a character disagrees with something."

"That's not true!" I protested.

"There! You just did it again!" he laughed.

"I suddenly wish you would shut the hell up," I protested.

My first edit would eliminate all "ly" adverbs. After awhile, you learn to just stop writing with them.

My strangest habit is constructing sentences backwards. What I mean is that for strange reasons that even I haven't come to grips with, I'll construct lengthy adverb phrases long before the predicate.

=)

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I leave stuff out. I'm not good with details (which means anything that's not the big picture, not hair color and eye color). So I end up with characters exiting the stage without actually doing so or forgetting that the character is holding a piece of driftwood. I'm thinking so much about the big picture, I'm hopping over these things to get to the next part of the big picture.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For me, it's just. Isn't that just peachy?

Maryn, who probably says it too much, too

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Okay everybody just clam down!

Why do I do that every stinking time- why??

Oh and I use just way to often-and I tend to repeat names in dialogue- a lot-

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Grunts, clearing my throat, and some coprolalia. . . oh wait, you're not talking about tic disorders. :(

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Exclamation points! If you ever catch one of my posts before the third time I've edited it, you'll see what I mean. I spend more time going back weeding out those little suckers!

ETA: Of course, the exclamation points aren't verbal tics! But you know what I mean!

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just and seems. Plus I have certainly pet constucts that I have to hunt down and terminate with extreme prejudice.

also...

4ee86139-50d8-4634-8e68-5e0434c4fef5.jpg

Nick Blaze

Jun-Ikkyu
Registered
Reaction score
I have an atrociously bad habit of writing this sentence in the most emotional part of a novel, "Tears began to flow for her ears as she..." I catch myself now, but my friends read to those scenes and, where they said they got teary-eyed, they also burst out laughing. -_-

I think my other "verbal ticks" would be depending on the scene or character. I think most people would find it a nuisance to try to write about a spy without every once using the word "sneak".

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
My verbal ticks when I'm writing a draft are a lot of "pretty" and "just", which I edit out the next time around.

When I'm speaking, I tend to say "Makes sense" and "Good deal" all the time when agreeing to things. But my characters do not mimic this annoying tendency.

Ludicrum

Registered
Reaction score

I could say that the spelling was intentional, as these writing habits are like ticks infesting our manuscripts, but no ... I messed up. It works either way, though, so I'm not sweating it.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I repeat things. I repeat things a lot. A lot of things, repeated, a lot.

And I had utterly no idea until Old Book came back from copy edit. No idea. At all.

Utterly.

Thank god for copyeditors*

Last edited:

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
I use "..." more then is healthy

My first story draft had twelve uses in four pages

I once met someone on another forum who thought that was completely appropriate in writing... and it was more like 12 uses in a single page.

I'm a "head to" person. She headed upstairs... he headed to the kitchen...

I also skip like an old vinyl record. You'll see the same word repeated over and over again for a few pages, then disappear, only to be replaced with a new verbal skip.

I did cure myself of the constant name repetition after a beta told me my dialogue read like Titanic: Jack! Rose! Jack! Rose!

AdriRaven

Knight of Ravens
Registered
Reaction score
I am entirely too prone to use ellipses. I know how they're used, and I like to have the feel of my characters sort of drifting off in their speech patterns, but on balance, I still think I use them more than necessary.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
For me the eyes have it. His eyes shifted. His eyes rolled. His eyes squinted. And one of my favorites, he couldn't believe his eyes, Blah, blah, blah. I'm working on it though.

Stellan

Not that other guy
Registered
Reaction score
Half-things...like "the half-light of morning" or "he was half-angry at her".

I find I have to cut out about half of them. :tongue

gilesth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
gilesth.blogspot.com
Apparently my characters are all in a melodrama because they all raise their eyebrows, purse their lips, make dismissive gestures, shrug, gesticulate, etc. with nearly every line of dialogue I write. That's fun to weed out, I can tell you.

I'm tempted to use "suddenly" quite regularly, but that's on word I pulled out of my vocabulary early on because I knew I would overuse it if I didn't.

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Among others, "almost" appears to be one I am partial to. As in "he almost sounded impressed." The gentleman editing for me was sometimes confused by my inclusion of it in certain sentences. It is hard to stop using it because I like the hint of indecisiveness it almost adds to some actions.

Last edited:

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Once again, I find myself using the verb "to jerk" too much. Makes my characters seem like quite the palsied bunch.

"Just," "almost," and the like, meh. I enjoy cutting them in the second draft and watching my word count plummet. :D

Victoria

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I am entirely too prone to use ellipses. I know how they're used, and I like to have the feel of my characters sort of drifting off in their speech patterns, but on balance, I still think I use them more than necessary.

Yarp, me too. I'm also a just, seems, that, and as abuser. My characters tend to 'feel' a lot, too. It's seems that as I'm writing, these tics just feel so...natural to me.