Hello

Gravity's Rainbow

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm not very good at introductions or other niceties so I'll get down to point.
I'm fairly new to non-factual/poetic writing (I finished my first short story a few days ago); I joined the site because I want to get some good and in-depth critiques.

About me:

I try to be concise as possible so my posts will be short and to the point

I value honesty, the point of critiquing isn't to make an author feel good about themselves, it's to improve the work.

Because of this I will be as blunt and critical as possible but don't take it personally, I'm just trying to help you. I hope this philosophy extends to those who read my work because just saying "It sucks" or 'It's good" doesn't help.

Thank you for reading

Revan

Rookie Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, welcome!

It's good to see someone who shares my philosophy on simplicity.

If you want your work to get critiqued, you'll have to reach 50 posts before you can share your work at:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Feel free however to look over the work of others and offer your own critiques (good for reaching the required post count).

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Welcome aboard (I have to say that, I'm naughtical)

I'm asking this of every newby I respond to :

How about a few paragraphs of your writing that you are proud of. It'll really help us know you and at least one of your styles a bit better.

Not trying to scare you away but it's never too early to stop being bashful. I promise that I won't critque it on the forum and doubt that anyone else will.

Last edited:

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

Gravity's Rainbow

Registered
Reaction score
How about a few paragraphs of your writing that you are proud of. It'll really help us know you and at least one of your styles a bit better.

Okay,
This is the opening page of an almost finished story that still needs a name.

I see her sitting in the usual spot, smiling and chatting, just like always. I sit down next to her; she smiles and puts her long black hair back into its usual neat pony tail. We spend the rest of lunch chatting about something pointless. The bell rings, everyone starts to move towards the doors. As I’m leaving I turn back to say goodbye but she’s gone. As I’m looking for her a roar echoes down the hallways and into the lunchroom, I turn to see what happened but there’s nothing.
I see her sitting in her usual spot; instead of a smile she has a rather dazed expression. I sit down next to her and ask what’s wrong.
“Nothing” she replies
“That’s a lie, pretty obvious something’s wrong so-”
“Nothing is wrong okay just leave me alone!” she yells.
I’m speechless but before I could think of what to do she said:
“I’m sorry I snapped at you, it’s just… why is this bothering me so much?”
“What’s bothering you?” I ask
“A really strange dream I had last night” she replies.
“So what? Dreams have never bothered you before; anyway aren’t they just some kind of subconscious problem sorting thingy?”
“No, no this one was different it was so, so (Her voice begins to falter) real.”
Now I’m curious. I’ve known her for years and nothing really bothers her but this dream; I’ve never seen her like this over something so pointless.
I think this pretty accurately sums up my writing style,
I like writing conversations but I have trouble putting in anything that won't be important to the story, thus the lack of description.

sincerely_anna

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, there! Welcome to AW!

I'm a newbie too, trying to become acquainted with other members.

I agree with you on honesty- it's always the best policy! When I ask for crits, I always ask for critters to be brutally truthful. It's the only way to get better, right?

Maybe I'll see you around here. Best of luck with your writing!

Best,
Anna

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
Okay,
This is the opening page of an almost finished story that still needs a name.

I think this pretty accurately sums up my writing style,
I like writing conversations but I have trouble putting in anything that won't be important to the story, thus the lack of description.

Thanks for the sample. I'm the same with writing conversation - readers encourage me to add more description. (Can't blame 'em since I write erotica.) I expect to enjoy reading more of your work.

MMConway

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from a fellow newbie.