Intro to me

Jonathan.Bentz

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all. My name's the same as my screen-name, so no worries about having to wonder about whether I'm under a handle or something.
I've been writing fiction of all kinds since I was a young kid, but I started writing original stuff around 13. In recent years, got more interested in screenwriting since that seems to suit my writing style more. (minimal description of action and lots of dialogue.)
I'm generally easy-going when it comes to talking about writing and other stuff. Don't get me started on the topics of politics, religion, and Autism, and we'll be fine. The last is because I'm Autistic and I tend to find that people don't believe it since I seem so 'normal'. Yeah, I know, forum. Not gonna see me talking and such.
I work at a call center with flexible hours, which is a blessing for when I have a brainstorm.
My favorite genres are science fiction, urban fantasy, action/adventure, and horror. In regards to horror, my main focus has been on the 'slasher' genre when I write.
My greatest weakness in writing is getting my opening scenes to work out. Most of them tend to be 2-3 pages, but I personally believe they need to be five or more.
I'm very interested in psychology and the power of the mind, which takes up a dominant role in all of my writing, whether it's outwitting a villain, the descent of 'good' person into the darkest of killers, or utilizing skills such as pyro- and telekinesis.
I also tend to root for the underdog when I get caught up in some kind of conflict, fictional or in real life, so that tends to put me at odds with a majority. That's the reason I tend to stay neutral in forums as much as I can. (Gaming forums, on the other hand, are all-out war. I've stopped going to them. THey're vicious.)
I also tend to write very clear-cut characters in regards to their stance. There are gray characters, such as those in my horror scripts, than there's the more clear-cut good versus evil characters in my action/adventure and sci fi stuff. Urban fantasy is less of a focus nowadays, but still on the fringe of my mind.
In regards to my personal life: I'm 25, don't have a real interest in dating and, depending when someone talks to me, I'll be either amused or cynical about the world in general. (For example, I'm extremely cynical towards organized faith, while I'm extremely amused when it comes to politics).
I think I'm more in-touch with my emotions than other Autistic people because the my best friends growing up were girls until about 12 or 13, at which point I was home-schooled before entering HS in a different district. That's why I might take time to respond to someone on the forums: if I am irritated for some reason, I may write an irrational response.
Also, I tend to ramble, as some of you have no doubt guessed.
Anyways, I'm going to go find some of the threads related to screenwriting. Just thought I'd say 'hello'.

Revan

Rookie Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Hey there Jonathan, nice to meet you.

Very bold to share with us your autism. Don't worry -- from what I've seen, this forum is very civilized. I'm like you when it comes to religion and politics: I don't like getting mixed into them. But that's why we're on a writer's forum!

It's always nice to see someone who focuses on the psychology of the characters. It brings fiction to life! The descent of a 'good' person is always interesting to see. It's a journey, not a light switch. It's also fun to see how the underdogs triumph against expectations -- real or fiction.

Overall, I hope you enjoy your stay here.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Welcome aboard (I have to say that, I'm naughtical)

I'm asking this of every newby I respond to :

How about a few paragraphs of your writing that you are proud of. It'll really help us know you and at least one of your styles a bit better.

Not trying to scare you away but it's never too early to stop being bashful. I promise that I won't critque it on the forum and doubt that anyone else will.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
(For example, I'm extremely cynical towards organized faith, while I'm extremely amused when it comes to politics).

By keeping in mind it truly is the politics of organized faith, I keep my cynicism to a minimum and my amusement high.

Welcome to AW!

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, may I call you Jon? I knew a Jon with Autism, a writer too, so I'm going to have an instant liking of you.
Hope you enjoy your stay here, look forward to reading your words.

t