New, and excited to be here.

Caleb Kruspe

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new and I'm very very glad to be part of such an involved and active community here.

Before I signed up, I took the opportunity to look around the site and get a feel for it, and I must say, it's fairly impressive. I found this place because of searching for a replacement writing site for one that is essentially dead.

I also had a good look at the Newbie Guide sticky thread; it was very easy to understand, basically play nice and be mature about your word selection.

Speaking of...this place is massive! It's going to take me a while to figure out and make the connections in my mind as to what goes where. It's also going to take a bit to get the jist of what is and isn't acceptable, so if I slip up and make a mistake, please don't yell, just let me know so I'll understand not to make that same mistake again.

Let's see....what else was there...oh yeah.

About me as a writer.
Well, basically I started writing in middle school. And to be honest, looking back on my earlier works I think to myself 'oh gawd I did this!?!' Over the course of years and years I kept working out ideas I had, some were never finished, but others were completed but never looked at again. Then a few years back I discovered fanfiction, made some works for that area. Eventually my writing style went from that to more origional works that were noticibly better than before I wrote fanfic.

Usually I try to write a range of generas, however, the one thing I absolutely will not touch is "smutt". Sorry, but that's just something I am not comfortable with. Granted I can handle writing relationships and innocent tasks like hand holding hugging and kissing, but that's about as far as it goes.

One thing I usually do in my works, is make a reference to koalas. Usually mentioned as a stuffed animal or a favorite zoological critter. I feel that's my running gag or an authors mark even.

A little about me as a person.
Basically I work nights and sleep during the day, and TRY to write when I have a few spare minutes. I always-always-ALWAYS have music going even if it's in the background; I dont' know why, I just do.

If anyone has any questions, please don't be afraid to ask. :)

Revan

Rookie Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome PR, glad to meet you. Love your signature. You'll fit right in!

Caleb Kruspe

Registered
Reaction score
Nice to meet you Revan and zanzjan, and thanks for the welcomes :)

@ Revan: Thanks, I'm glad you like my sig. :)
@ zanzjan: Hehehe why not indeed. Guess I've got a thing for them......

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

Caleb Kruspe

Registered
Reaction score
Hi ResearchGuy, ryannj5, Nickie and regdog. Thank you all for such warm welcomes :)

@regdog: Maybe eventually I'll feel secure enough with my ability in writing to post work for crit/concrit, but that's probably a long way off. Right now I'm in that 'get settled in' phase...if that makes sense.

It's so nice to see so many welcoming faces :)

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Welcome aboard (I have to say that, I'm naughtical)

Going to start asking this of every newby I respond to :

How about a few paragraphs of your writing that you are proud of. It'll really help us know you and at least one of your styles a bit better.

Not trying to scare you away but it's ever too early to stop being bashful. I promise that I won't critque it on the forum and doubt that anyone else will.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

Caleb Kruspe

Registered
Reaction score
Pleasured to make your acquaintances Alessandra Kelley, DiloKeith, PorterStarrByrd and Cactuswendy :)

@Alessandra: Really? I hope it's a good memory, if not, I do deeply apologize.

...How about a few paragraphs of your writing that you are proud of. It'll really help us know you and at least one of your styles a bit better.

Not trying to scare you away but it's ever too early to stop being bashful. I promise that I won't critque it on the forum and doubt that anyone else will.

"it's ever too early to stop being bashful..." ??? Never too early? Sorry but it's a force of habit to point out items like that. Now onto the point of the quote: I certainly could provide some short paragraphs and blurbs to help show my style/voice/tone ect, the question is would it be better to post it here in my intro thread or would you like it in a PM message? And (since I'm still learing about this sites guidlines) would it be better to keep it PG/PG13 or is there an "anything goes...within reason" clause?

Which reminds me, I've looked, but is there a rule about not posting stuff here that can be found on another writing site that displays stories ect? I deeply apologize about this extremely newbish question, but...I'd rather be sure than risk it.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
"it's ever too early to stop being bashful..." ??? Never too early? Sorry but it's a force of habit to point out items like that. Now onto the point of the quote: I certainly could provide some short paragraphs and blurbs to help show my style/voice/tone ect, the question is would it be better to post it here in my intro thread or would you like it in a PM message? And (since I'm still learing about this sites guidlines) would it be better to keep it PG/PG13 or is there an "anything goes...within reason" clause?

Which reminds me, I've looked, but is there a rule about not posting stuff here that can be found on another writing site that displays stories ect? I deeply apologize about this extremely newbish question, but...I'd rather be sure than risk it.

Thanks for the correction. I was lucky enough to find and edit that after about two sendings. My fingers follow instructions about as well as the rest of me.

Since I'm only one, you could tell a lot more people about it here, as long as you are comfortable in doing so. I would keep most of the f-bombs and vulgarity out of it.. close to G would be good to avoid offending anybody

I'd think the only restrictions to what you post would be those inflicted upon you by the other site.

Caleb Kruspe

Registered
Reaction score
Hi xXVampyrePrincessXx, thehairymob, cooeedownunder and Mel106. Nice to meet y'all :)

... I would keep most of the f-bombs and vulgarity out of it.. close to G would be good to avoid offending anybody

I'd think the only restrictions to what you post would be those inflicted upon you by the other site.

Oh cool, thanks for the answer :) I checked that sites TOS ect but couldn't find anything saying I couldn't, so....

Okay you twisted my arm. I'll show some stuff that I feel is my best work to date.

WIP: Codename "Nick"

"N-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o...!" I shouted – my voice slow and drawn out. My body acting on trained conditioning felt like it was stuck in a low speed unable to move any faster as my hand wrapped around the handle of the Magnum, my index finger weaving over the trigger as I pulled the handgun free from its hiding space. Out of the thousands of times I've done this before this felt like the first ever time as I flicked off the safety and took aim. The target was Vincent yet I couldn't help but glance over to the boys – Landon still laying on the floor and Nick trying to use his body to cover him while looking at – and holding his hand with spread fingers out to Vincent, the ultimate look of fear and realization in his eyes.

Just squeeze the trigger. My mind guided me as the rest of the world faded away leaving just me and the target. My finger curled slightly, bit by bit, centimeter by centimeter until a loud blast thundered in the space and the gun forced itself back ever so much into the grip of my hand. Still seeing everything in slow motion I could see the bullet slipping away fast, further and further until Vincent looked my way and took aim. God (censored)! No it can't be...! My mind raced when I realized that my aim was just a hair off causing the bullet to merely graze Vincent's arm.

"Son of a (censored)!" He shouted just before another shot rang out. Waves of searing pain flooded my body, my right shoulder feeling like it was on fire. The gun in my left hand suddenly feeling very heavy as I dropped to my knees and fell onto my back on the floor. I tilted my head to the side forcing myself to keep my eyes open.

One blink; Vincent turned his attention from me to the boys.

Two blinks; he took aim at the boys again. "Now get into HIS car so we can all go home!" His voice low and seething, so methodical that I knew what I had to do next.

Three blinks. (censored)Bryce get up and save your kids! You can't stop now! You promised them you'll always keep them safe...that you would die to protect them, but you can't die, you WONT die! You have to rescue your kids! My mind barking – demanding me to do it.

Four blinks; I grunted mustering what little strength I had to raising the gun and dead-aimed. My finger repeatedly flexed over the trigger. A series of loud blasts boomed. I kept pulling the trigger until the shots subsided and the slide locked back indicating it was out of ammunition.

Five blinks; Vincent's body dropped to the floor in a crumpled heap of flesh. I rested my head seeing no further movement from him, only Nick looking around. My hand went limp causing the gun to clatter against the floor. Sirens in the distance rang out as dozens of booted footfalls lumbered into the warehouse. From the shadows, dozens of heavily armed and armored S.W.A.T. Units flooded into the area. In all the confusion Nick managed to help Landon up and both scrambled over kneeling down beside me. Yet I couldn't do much as my body went limp and a floating sensation overtook me, the world as I saw it started fading.

WIP-rough draft: codename "LoneWolf"

After moving the gas cans in logical placement, Chance took a few moments to take one last look around the home. Part of him wanted to make sure he didn't forget something, the other part just wanted one last look. With a heavy heart, chance clomped up the steps and to a gas can at the far end of the hall. Keeping his mind clear, the boy picked up the heavy weight, pulled off the cap and started spilling the fuel around all the bedrooms and along the hall floor then down the steps. He tossed the now empty canister to the top of the steps and turned to the kitchen.

Once there, Chance opened the second canister and repeated the process of pouring the gas in the kitchen and around the dining room where he made sure to use a good heavy dose of fuel. With that canister empty Chance tossed it aside and went to the living room and the final container. He had to stifle the tears and sniffles as he emptied the last gas can around the living room making sure to overlap the fuel at the stairs and in the dining room. A smell of raw fuel filled the house and for the first time, the stale air and odor of dried blood mixed into a gagging stench making it hard for Chance to breathe through his nose.

Chance moved to the door and stepped out far enough to be on the outside. He wiped tears from his eyes before reaching into his pocket to retrieve the book of matches. He pulled one from the pack, lit it and stared at the small flame with a child's wonder. He then brought the one match to the book.

"Rest in peace, family..." He spoke lighting the entire book of matches. "...goodbye, bad memories." With this, Chance chucked the book of matches into the house.

The reaction was instantaneous; a vwhooosh sound accompanied a flash of bright orange flames that spread along the fuel path. Even as the heat danced at his body Chance stayed in place to assure his plan didn't fail. When the heat became too great, Chance backed away until he stood a good distance from the house. In the night time he could clearly see an orange glow from the second floor windows. His plan was indeed in full motion and could not be stopped now.

Of course I had to do some censoring to keep it around the G/pg area. And, as I mentioned earlier, those are excerpts of my better writings.