Overuse of exclamation marks

Nightd

Registered
Reaction score
I've read somewhere that exclamation marks should be used sparingly in novels. Does this apply to children's or young adult novels as well? I mean, I'm not talking about like an exclamation mark after every sentence. The first chapter in my novel, about 5000 words, has about 50 exclamations.

I did an exclamation word count, and it seems like the harry potter books has anywhere between 40-100 per chapter.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Exclamation points are something to go very, very easy on. Fiction for younger readers is probably a little more forgiving than adult fiction, but the fewer, the better. In many cases, probably most cases, the excitement or shout should be obvious from the context and won't need an exclamation point.

Shelley

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
My general advice would be to avoid exclamation points, but if the characters you are writing about are teenagers, they may be excusable. Teenagers have a tendency to talk in exclamation points.

pezie

Registered
Reaction score
I've found myself overusing them as well. I'm calling it the Twitter Effect (or the Facebook Effect, or the Message Board Effect). Anyway, on the internet, everything is a HEADLINE!!!! It's bleeding into my prose.

When I go back to edit my WIP, I'm sure I'll have to strike out a lot of them. I've been told to use them sparingly.

Reaction score
There's a reason they're called screamers.

You're allowed one every 100k words, which should then be removed on editing.

Nightd

Registered
Reaction score
My general advice would be to avoid exclamation points, but if the characters you are writing about are teenagers, they may be excusable. Teenagers have a tendency to talk in exclamation points.

yes, they are teenagers.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Exclamation marks, like italics and elipses, can serve a purpose when you use them sparingly, but they lose their ability to get a reader reaction if you use very many. They're to be avoided unless the sentence demands it. If a train is going to hit a car stalled on the tracks, your characters should not say to one another, "Get out of the car." but "Get out of the car!"

But if they're regaling one another with stories about That Cute Guy, if you end half the remarks with an exclamation point, it loses its meaning.

I don't believe in a literal count of x number of them per 10,000 words. I believe in finding each one in a completed manuscript and determining if that single one absolutely has to be there. Most will not.

Maryn, who does this with completed works

FocusOnEnergy

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
focusonenergy.wordpress.com
One thing to keep in mind is that the Harry Potter books were written by a British writer. I'm not sure why, but in my experience I found that Europeans tend to use more exclamation points than Americans do. Regardless of whether English is their first, second, or third language, they like exclamation points. Used to drive me nuts editing the corporate newsletter or their trade magazine articles.

First, I had to take out all of the exclamation points. They really had no place in a technical article on the merits of shotblasting vs shotpeening, or process development case studies.

I've noticed that Canadians, and a friend of mine who works for a Canadian company (but is from the US) also use them more generously than Americans. It's used for emphasis, and how I can always tell when my exclamatory friends are happy.

To me, an exclamation point is the standard English equivalent of ALLCAPS, and indicates a raised voice/shouting. I use them rarely.

So, I'd look at your target market. How do they use exclamation points? Do they use them when they are happy, or when they are yelling?

Focus

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
I've read somewhere that exclamation marks should be used sparingly in novels. Does this apply to children's or young adult novels as well? I mean, I'm not talking about like an exclamation mark after every sentence. The first chapter in my novel, about 5000 words, has about 50 exclamations.

I did an exclamation word count, and it seems like the harry potter books has anywhere between 40-100 per chapter.
The best way to find out what is typical for a particular genre is to read from it. Whenever these types of discussions come up they result in a whole bunch of opinions, many of which are general and not specific to the context in which the question is asked. It's useful for so many reasons to read from the genre you're writing for. This would be one. Not just a single author, though, but read as widely within the genre as you can manage.

Whether you then follow the conventions of the genre, such as they are, is up to you, but at least you'll understand the context in which people will come to your work.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first novel was EXPLODING! with! !!!!!!! I had been using them to cover a lack of action. Now, I play whack a mole with each one that dares rear its ugly head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!