Status
Not open for further replies.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Does anybody know what they call a hard-back book that has an impregnated wrap around full color cover? It's not a slip cover or dust jacket. I've only seen such things with children's picture books. My adult title came to me this way and it's truly gorgeous. Is there some kind of a tech term for this type of design feature? The book was published/printed in Canada, and I don't know if this is exclusive to Canada or some type of special option.

Tri

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Impregnated with what? Could you link to an example?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Impregnated with what? Could you link to an example?

You can see it in my sig line by linking to the Planet Janitor website. I mean the actual cover is impregnated with the color/artwork. It has no dust jacket. It's identical to the way a trade paperback is produced, with a wrap-around color cover, but the spine, front and back are high-grade board.

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
All hail, Torgo! That's been driving me crazy for the last hour!!!!

We bought a lot of books like this in the high school where I used to work (in Britain)--usually modern classic novels/plays. The boards are really hard and then overlaid with a printed paper cover that's laminated to a glossy finish, so you don't need a dust jacket. They're tough sons of bitches, which I guess is why they're popular for books likely to be used over and again in class.

Tri, don't know if this is the same as your book (hope so--they're gorgeous-looking books), but thank you, Torgo. I've been driving myself demented with 'it was something casebound.'

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
By gawd, that's the one! Thanks, Torgo. Shist, I should have looked that up. It has a super-high gloss finish--deeper than a jacket cover--you almost dive into the 3-D effect. My binding is so hard I could stomp on it or throw it against the wall without defect. Hmmm...maybe I should throw the blasted thing against the wall.

Tri

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Glad to be of service! It can be quite nice to have a PLC under a dust jacket, in fact.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen those and they look really nice, even without a dustjacket. Are they really expensive to produce? I wonder why more books aren't published that way.

Your cover is very attractive. I'll bet those deep colors look great with the glossy.

Last edited:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
I've seen those and they look really nice, even without a dustjacket. Are they really expensive to produce? I wonder why more books aren't published that way.

Your cover is very attractive. I'll bet those deep colors look great with the glossy.

Yes, the blues and browns really leap out at you. Real high gloss. I'm sure mine was very expensive. It also has over 27 interior half-page illustrations, and quite a different format than most hardbacks. Problem is, it's so high in price that we're not selling any. Amazon has got to come down and make things reasonable. We've put a request in, but haven't received an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.