We can't stop here - this is bird country!

AdriRaven

Knight of Ravens
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, there! I'm AdriRaven, and I'm a caffeine-riddled, sleep-deprived 30-something living relatively alone in the Great Wide Spaces of Western Ohio. I found AW while searching for an answer to a particularly tricky problem I'd written myself into, and fell in love. I registered pretty much immediately, and will soon be turning my problem in to the proper forum section. I am private, selfish, and easily bored - regardless, I like to socialize and hope to find ways of managing to actually finish a writing project. Maybe two if I survive the first, but who knows? I'm very fond of fantasy, horror and mystery, and am prone to excessive video gaming when suffering writing failure. It looks like a fine community you have here - don't mind me if I flitter around the periphery for a bit, it's not like I'm leaving droppings or anything, promise! :evil

AdriRaven

Knight of Ravens
Registered
Reaction score
Fantasy? Horror? Mystery? Video games? You're speaking my language!

I tend to like stories that are subtly creepy and have shades of 'wrongness' in them. Games are the same way. These days I prefer things like the first few Silent Hill games and parts of the Fallout Series to more hack and slash stuff.

Strychnine

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to like stories that are subtly creepy and have shades of 'wrongness' in them. Games are the same way. These days I prefer things like the first few Silent Hill games and parts of the Fallout Series to more hack and slash stuff.

Silent Hill is great/terrifying and the music is genius! Fallout is fun. I like New Vegas even though the world seems kind of...meh about it. Anyway. That's not the point. The point is welcome!! :)

AdriRaven

Knight of Ravens
Registered
Reaction score
Silent Hill is great/terrifying and the music is genius! Fallout is fun. I like New Vegas even though the world seems kind of...meh about it. Anyway. That's not the point. The point is welcome!! :)

I like New Vegas, myself... though ironically, I like Fallout 3 just a little better. The vibe of going through a destroyed Washington DC just hits me a certain way that the Mojave doesn't strike as hard in. Both are filled with a lot of interesting material - the sinister Vault-stories and the way that you can explore the nature of the Old World and how it still dominates post-apocalyptia is more fascinating to me than going through either main quest.

Strychnine

Registered
Reaction score
I like New Vegas, myself... though ironically, I like Fallout 3 just a little better. The vibe of going through a destroyed Washington DC just hits me a certain way that the Mojave doesn't strike as hard in. Both are filled with a lot of interesting material - the sinister Vault-stories and the way that you can explore the nature of the Old World and how it still dominates post-apocalyptia is more fascinating to me than going through either main quest.

Running around in those games are the best bits. I tend to get more into finding new places than I do questing, little side quests too are always more entertaining. I think I like New Vegas more for the same reason you like 3, I guess I connect more with the setting. Deserts and cowboys and fancy revolvers and gambling. Lovely!

AdriRaven

Knight of Ravens
Registered
Reaction score
Running around in those games are the best bits. I tend to get more into finding new places than I do questing, little side quests too are always more entertaining. I think I like New Vegas more for the same reason you like 3, I guess I connect more with the setting. Deserts and cowboys and fancy revolvers and gambling. Lovely!

That makes sense - though I hasten to say that I still love the setting in NV. I have a fondness for that part of the world that was born when my folks took me with them on a huge roundtrip through the States one summer. But as far as post-apocalyptia goes, the desert just feels a bit... overdone, to me. I liked the urban parts of the Capital Wasteland, and I LOVED Point Lookout. I just wish they'd done something more with Operation Anchorage.

I think my favorite parts are finding all the little 'stories', like charred, mouldering corpses in the poses they died in and remained in for hundreds of years. Or finding those little notes on various computers. Really makes you feel like you're exploring and piecing things together about the World As It Was. I'd love to be able to evoke some of that in my own writing, honestly.

Strychnine

Registered
Reaction score
I liked the urban parts of the Capital Wasteland, and I LOVED Point Lookout.

I think my favorite parts are finding all the little 'stories', like charred, mouldering corpses in the poses they died in and remained in for hundreds of years. Or finding those little notes on various computers. Really makes you feel like you're exploring and piecing things together about the World As It Was. I'd love to be able to evoke some of that in my own writing, honestly.

I completely forgot about Point Lookout, but it is my absolute favourite. All this talk about Fallout is making me want to play it again, properly, instead of picking it up whenever I run out of other things. Extra 'stories' was definitely the best, I have friends who played and wouldn't look at anything on the computers or explore anything properly and I didn't understand how they could pass it all by, because it's pretty in depth.
I should stop hijacking your welcome thread with game-talk though (there is a game section elsewhere), and just say good luck with investigating these sorts of World As It Was things in your writing!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Ha ha, welcome. If your intro thread is any sign of how your write your stories, they sure do sound interesting. :) Welcome.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the Newbie Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread.

Whatsherface

Accidentally lost inside my WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the boards! Hope to see you around often, share some of that caffeine!

BethanyY

Fantasy Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyeager.blogspot.com
Fantasy and excessive video gaming? Hey, me too! :) (says the girl who just finished a last minute English paper because she just spent the entire day playing Fable III)... :D

AdriRaven

Knight of Ravens
Registered
Reaction score
Fantasy and excessive video gaming? Hey, me too! :) (says the girl who just finished a last minute English paper because she just spent the entire day playing Fable III)... :D

Fable 3 is pretty good - mostly just pretty, but still worth at least a playthrough! But hey, you got your paper finished - if only just barely - so it's all good, right? :D