How many daily views does your blog get?

pinkrobot

I poke badgers with spoons
Registered
Reaction score
Website
impossiblewords.wordpress.com
I have a hard time gauging how "successful" my blog is, so I wanted to see how other established bloggers are doing as far as daily views. So, if you don't mind sharing I just have two questions:

1. When did you start your blog?
2. How many views per day (on average) do you get?

If you feel like sharing more--like how you promote your blog, what you don't recommend, etc.--please feel free to do so! I know there are plenty of threads on AW already about promotion, so if you don't feel like delving that deeply into your answer, no worries. :D

The Grump

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
If you looked at visitors and followers, my blog's a failure.

On the other hand, it's helped me immensely in organizing my ideas about writing. Maybe more important, over the two years I've been doing my blog, I don't have to re-write as much ... or is that delete as many extraneous words.

frolzagain

Registered
Reaction score
I started mine in October and I get between 20 and 50 pageviews a day on average but I'm not sure what my average unique visitor is. You really shouldn't spend to much time comparing blogs though because they are all different. Who cares what other people have as long as you are happy? The best way I found to get traffic is to comment on other blogs and build relationships with those bloggers. A lot of them will return the comment and sometimes even mention your blog in their posts, which is a great way to get new visitors. Plus i've made some new online friends! I would stay away from most of the blog directory thing, they seemed like a huge waste of time for me.

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
1. When did you start your blog? August 2007

2. How many views per day (on average) do you get? 600-1200 views, depending on the topic, the number of times it's tweeted, etc

If you feel like sharing more--like how you promote your blog, what you don't recommend, etc.--please feel free to do so! I know there are plenty of threads on AW already about promotion, so if you don't feel like delving that deeply into your answer, no worries.

My blog is primarily a history blog, but I think that whatever the topic and however long you've been doing it, blogging requires consistency, patience, and innovation. I still have days where, despite the success I have achieved, I'm sometimes taken aback by my relative obscurity amongst a large swath of my peers. Because of this, I will say plainly that blogging doesn't build and retain an audience as well as having a product or project for sale does. A blog is a facet of your platform, but as an author, the primary focus should be on your books, and without books for your readers to purchase and love, your web presence can come across as an "empty suit" unless you blog about all of your hobbies and pursuits.

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com
I only started my blog three days ago, and I'm getting 60-80 views per day already. I thought it would take weeks to get to that point. I haven't even started emailing anyone to tell them about it. Weird, but good.

Dave

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Been about 6-8 months...and I get about 100 a month with no outside ads. Only what is here in my sig. is a link. I'm sure mine is from the newbies that I say hi to here.

Not sure I really set it up for traffic as I still don't understand how to do things with it. Maybe this summer I will get my brain squared away and try to do more with it.

Mine is just a place with some flashes and shorts on it at this time. Best wishes with yours.

orion_mk3

Ne Cede Malis
Registered
Reaction score
At a year and change, I normally get less than 20 a day. Of those, 99% are spam views from .cz.cc sites and other random crap.

Luckily I never started the blog intending to get rich, but them's the breaks.

judytrickett

Registered
Reaction score
Website
justthebabysitter.blogspot.com
I started my blog April 2009. Wrote religiously for about a year. Slacked off a lot last year. Now back at it diligently.

According to my analytics programs (I use two different ones) my page views in the last 30 days was 5474.

I guess that would work out to roughly 182 page views a day. Of course, there are more page views on days I post a new blog and fewer views on days that I don't post anything. But average is 182 per day.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
My best two blogs get about 100 uniques a day. They both got this pretty much right out of the gate and regardless of what I do or don't do it stays about the same.

ConChron

Registered
Reaction score
Website
a-muse-or-amuse.blogspot.com
My main blog is invite only and it gets about 30 hits a day on it.

The other blogs I have get 3-10 hits a day, though it comes and goes in waves.

What's interesting to see is that a blog I haven't touched for over a year still gets 30 hits a week.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
So how do you know, for a Blogger blog? I don't care about my Wordpress one, it's mostly for family.

judytrickett

Registered
Reaction score
Website
justthebabysitter.blogspot.com
So how do you know, for a Blogger blog? I don't care about my Wordpress one, it's mostly for family.

If you are using Blogger there is a stats program included. This is a fairly new feature for Blogger. You can also download free site stats like Sitemeter.com etc.

One thing you need to do is click the option to not include stats on your own page views so you can a more accurate measure of how many people are stopping by.

ShanonaRyder

Registered
Reaction score
I started mine a year ago and it doesn't get a lot of hits, but that's because I've been neglecting it.
I'm recently more active on it so I'm hoping to get more hits. :)

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I started my (writing) one a few months ago. Haven't promoted or networked at all, and I only post sporadically. I generally get between 2 and 10 hits a day, maybe as many as 20 on days when I post.

Right now I'm not worrying about traffic. It's mainly just for me and my own thoughts, and I'm still at the point where I'm trying to figure out what I want to blog ABOUT. Currently it's just writing related stuff, which is boring. However I have started getting hits on this one little rant I posted, from people searching Google for "disability in fiction." It's something that interests me, so just today I made another more informative post on the subject. If that gets me some more traffic, I may take the topic and run with it.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I only get a handful of views a day. My blog is not strongly themed and it's not something I update all that often. Basically, it's a repository for some short essays and op/ed pieces of things that interest me.

I'm fine with that. I've gotten some nice responses, both publicly and in private emails. I just don't have something to say every day that's worth posting. I think perhaps I'm not that interesting.

ETA - I started my blog about three years ago. I think.

Last edited:

ios

Weirdo.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chiaroscurohouse.com
1. When did you start your blog?
2. How many views per day (on average) do you get?

Well, looking at my archive, I started in 2008, but I only have one post. This blog I started, stopped, was on another location and posts transferred, started, stopped, etc. Views? Uhm, close to the negative :) I have a few followers, but I don't know what the heck that really means--not that it stops me from putting up that app or anything.

My suggesting for starting out? Know what your focus is and your audience. I've struggled with this, trying to make it something that will appeal to readers and writers. I've finally decided to make a new blog for readers but I don't have too many sales right now.

Jodi

schadenfreude

good with salt
Registered
Reaction score
I started my blog in late December. I don't vigorously promote, just enter the odd blogfest and keep a link in my signature on all my forums and whatnot. I get about 40+ hits on average each day, which is a wonder since I only post once a week. I vary between book reviews and general writerly advice, more of the latter since composing reviews of late have begun to bore me (and that stack of books keeps getting higher and higher).

kelloish

Registered
Reaction score
I started earlier this year and am still building up and am averaging about 14 a day but I think the vast majority of that is spam :(

FocusOnEnergy

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
focusonenergy.wordpress.com
My current primary blog was started on WordPress in October of 09. It had been on another site, where I didn't have access to traffic stats for about a year and a half before that.

I usually average 5,000 uniques a month. I took a big hit on traffic when I spun off a new blog back in November from one topic that had taken over, and wasn't a local story. I took an even bigger hit on traffic back when I went to work for the paper and pulled all of my event coverage.

Although I don't advocate SEO, because most of it is either snake oil or spamming, knowing what people are searching for and coming up with an angle on a trending topic nets me higher traffic. And sometimes that topic has real staying power. A post I wrote about 6 months ago is still at the top of my stats chart.

I learned how to target my postings by watching the stats. I don't look so much at the daily stats, because they tend to vary widely, but weekly and monthly give you a good idea of what people actually want to read. Looking at the stats on an individual post over time also shows that the piece I thought was ho hum continues to be popular, and the one i thought was awesome wasn't interesting to anyone else. I tailor my blog accordingly, because I'm not writing for me, but for them.

Focus

pinkrobot

I poke badgers with spoons
Registered
Reaction score
Website
impossiblewords.wordpress.com
Thanks for all the responses, everyone. I've had my (main) blog for over a year and I definitely have my audience established; I just wasn't sure what would be considered a "good" amount of hits in a given time span. I made a post about lolcats recently and had over 5,000 hits in one day (which made me ecstatic), annnnd now I'm back down to about 40. Tis life, I guess. ;)

Charlee

Sometimes I have no Y
Registered
Reaction score
I have 20 followers (mostly from here :)) but I don't knwo how many look at the actual blog, where do you find out?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My writing one? Not many. I'm bad at updating.

My Kenya blog? Hundreds. I haven't updated that in ages, but I guess anybody searching Kenya finds it...because I get a swarm of hits every single day...for things I mentioned on it. All search engine hits.

pattyjansen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pattyjansen.wordpress.com
I notice that when I blog about writing, I get hundred of hits.

When I blog about science, I get about 150, but those individual posts have a much longer lifespan than the writing ones. People keep finding them through search engines.