"Whose" - am I using the word incorrectly?

Mecari

Registered
Reaction score
So my sentence is:

"The path led them to a circular elevator, whose plain, silver interior made Reu sigh with relief."

Is my usage of 'whose' incorrect here, since I'm refering to the elevator and not a person? Should I just rearrange the sentence? Thank you in advance!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You have used it correctly. If in doubt, replace it with "who is" and see if it still makes sense. If not, then "whose" is correct.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
So my sentence is:

"The path led them to a circular elevator, whose plain, silver interior made Reu sigh with relief."

Is my usage of 'whose' incorrect here, since I'm refering to the elevator and not a person? Should I just rearrange the sentence? Thank you in advance!

According to m-w, you can use whose for objects:

of or relating to whom or which especially as possessor or possessors <whose gorgeous vesture heaps the ground — Robert Browning>, agent or agents <the law courts, whose decisions were important — F. L. Mott>, or object or objects of an action <the first poem whose publication he ever sanctioned

I think your sentence is a bit awkward as written, but I don't believe it's grammatically incorrect.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
"Whose" is correct even though the subject is a thing, not a person.

Otherwise, you can use "of which":

The path led them to a circular elevator, of which the plain, silver interior made Reu sigh with relief.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The path led them to a circular elevator, of which the plain, silver interior made Reu sigh with relief.

Would "The path led them to a circular elevator, the plain, silver interior of which made Reu sigh with relief." be better?

I'm not taking issue, I'm curious. Your rewording sounds very off to me.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
"Whose" is correct even though the subject is a thing, not a person.

Otherwise, you can use "of which":

I think you may have your syntax wrong. It sounds odd to my ears, at any rate. If you're going with 'of which' I'd change the sentence to read:

The path led them to a circular elevator, the plain silver interior of which made Reu sign with relief.

FWIW, I prefer 'whose' in this context, and I don't find the original phrasing awkward. YMMV.

Edit: Chris P beat me to it. Damn you, man with an awesome name.

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
Be wary of spell check with 'whose.' Every time I use 'whose' it gets underlined and spell check suggests 'who's' even when 'whose' is correct, as it is in your sentence.

Mecari

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone, for clearing up the confusion! I was really unsure about whether or not "whose" could be used for objects.

I'll probably end up rewriting the sentence anyways. It's pretty awkwardly worded- but I thought the whole "whose" issue would pop up again sometime.

Thank you, again! :D

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So my sentence is:

How about: The path led them to a circular elevator with a plain, silver interior that made Reu sigh with relief.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
How about: The path led them to a circular elevator with a plain, silver interior that made Reu sigh with relief.

not to nitpick but there's still ambiguity (but nothing major): is it the elevator that makes Reu sigh, or is it the plain, silver interior? Also, I am not pleased with the two withs. How about:

The path led them to a circular elevator: its plain, silver interior made Reu sigh with relief.

Last edited:

RedRose

By any other name...
Registered
Reaction score
So my sentence is:

I didn't know that about 'whose'. I normally go by ear. I would automatically assume you couldn't use it on an object that had no personification like in poetry or something that didn't in some way relate to people like in the earlier example of 'law courts'. With an elevator it sounds extremely awkward.

The path led to a circular elevator, and the plain, silver interior made Reu sigh with relief.