How to avoid instant manuscript rejection

Reaction score
There are many ways to get a manuscript ignored without a moment's consideration. Rather than list them in a negative, "do not do this" list, I will instead list some positive "to dos" that might be of help. Of course, nothing here should be taken as a guarantee that a manuscript will be published.

Make it the best manuscript possible

This one is obvious, but unpacking the terms used could shed some light on a few things.

So many submitted stories and novels are un-finished. Major plot elements are left unexplained because they were clear in the writer's mind, so clear that the writer did not feel there was a need to write them. Or, the writer was aware of these holes and glossed over them with a deus ex machina or a two-sentence summary of an episode, sub-plot, or other occurrence that could have been interesting to read; the writer was either lazy or just too much in a rush to get the damn thing done.

Then there are all the manifestations of sloppiness in prose. I am of the opinion that if there are spelling mistakes, punctuation errors, grammar mistakes, or just plain mangled text, then it is a manifestation of bigger problems with the substance of the text itself. If the writer did not proof it, then it means that many problems are present, in all probability.

I also think that it is okay to hammer out some prose as quickly as possible, and then go through a very painstaking process of fixing and perfecting the prose afterwards. Just one example is the adage that good writing shows rather than tells. In such a case, some trite passages that show nothing to the reader and are rather boring as a result need to be re-written. They were quick to write just to get the story down and proper, but the first revision is the time to make it into something that is ready to be read.

One of the myths out there is that anybody can write. What we learn in grade school and practice all through high school is not writing per se, but literacy, the basic skill needed for linguistic competence. This is different from professional, publishable writing.

This means that if you deign to write something for publication, it has to be on a very high level of quality. People on forums like these talk about "craft" as if it is some sort of elusive thing, but acquisitions editors can tell right away if someone's writing is on a publishable level within seconds of looking at a manuscript.

Then there are the mistakes that many beginning writers make with their first manuscripts. The story begins with endless mood-setting description or an exegesis of a character's state of mind. The reader wonders, "what is happening?" since nothing is, there is no story.

Sure, there is such a thing as "talent," or in-born ability, but what does that really mean? Is it natural creativity? Is it imagination? Is it a knack for telling stories?

If talent accounts for that which cannot be taught or learned, then it is all of these things. The ability to write well enough for publication, however, is something that can only be learned through constant practice, constant critical review, and also through reading the works of others. Talent or genius, un-honed through instruction or practice, would be a trite cliché if it was not so common. The upshot is that no matter how much in-born ability or inspiration a writer might have, it will be wasted if it is implemented without craft.

Another myth that seems to float around is that editors exist to fix all of the above-mentioned problems and that a good story that comes from a good idea by a talented writer should be fixed into form by a good editor. This is not true. With so many stories and novels being submitted even to small-press publishers, there is no need to fix broken or semi-broken work just because it has potential. if even a tiny percentage of submissions are well-crafted already, then it is so much easier and so much less time-consuming to accept those first and to forget about everything else.

Make sure the manuscript is solicited

There are too many legal and other complications involved in accepting unsolicited or un-agented manuscripts. They all more or less revolve around the implicit ambiguity involved when there is no contract or acknowledgment with regards to the work's status vis-a-vis the publisher. Solicited works are taken by publishers under an understanding that certain terms and conditions are involved. Agented manuscripts are submitted through established channels with implicit terms and conditions.

Find out what each publisher's or agent's submission policy is and if they don't have one posted on their web site, make a direct query to find out what it is. Never send a manuscript without the publisher or agent saying in explicit terms that they want to receive it.

Like I said at the end of the previous section, it is all too easy to destroy unsolicited manuscripts, with so many coming in that were submitted properly. Don't force the publisher or the agent to take the path of least resistance!

Make sure the publisher handles this sort of material

Many small press publishers and and large publisher imprints exist to cover a variety of subjects and genres. If there are readers for something, then chances arem there is somebody out there who wants to publish it. It is the writer's job to find the publishers and the agents who handle what they have written. The converse of this is that if a romance publisher gets a YA-splatter-zombie-erotic thriller, for example, it will probably be rejected.

Write a good pitch

So much is written about queries and pitches in writing forums and elsewhere that it would be pointless to go over them here in any detail. Suffice it to say, a writer needs to be a salesman/saleswoman, even when pitching something to an agent whose job it is to do the same thing with publishers. There is no "magic bullet" to writing perfect pitches, just like there is no surefire way to write a job query and a CV to guarantee getting an interview; but there are some best practices and there are many, many "do not" practices. Every writer needs to learn them.

Stay away from material that is too personal

Many people's life stories or other personal experiences are not all that unique because the trials and tribulations of most peoples' lives are similar. Getting an education or learning a trade, falling in love, learning the facts of life, and so on, are things that everybody does. It might be a personally edifying experience to put these things down on paper in the form of a journal, but not everybody wants to read about them, or at least not to the degree of dedication that is required to read a book. Publishers and agents know this, and know well enough not to spend valuable production money or billable hours on something that has such limited appeal. Make no mistake about it: Its appeal is limited, because "personal" means "of or pertaining to one person." Publishers and agents are interested in material that could be interesting to many people.

Stay away from material that is overdone

If something is "all the rage" right now, then chances are that by the time you finish writing a novel that is in the same vein, it will be old hat. Public tastes are fickle and people get tired of seeing too much of the same thing. A few innovators or masters in a few genres will always have markets for their works but everything else has the potential to be seen as an imitation.

Good writers have roots. They have read a lot and they continue to read a lot, so as to have a background that firmly establishes, and evolves, their areas of interest. This is what influences what they write, not some undefined perception of what might be popular at any given moment.

Stay away from material that has no market

This is the flip side of the previous point. Anything that appeals to too narrow a readership base is not going to be picked up by most publishers or agents. If it needs to be marketed to death in order to be identified with any readership at all, then it places more strain on the resources that are becoming more and more scarce for publishing professionals.

Of course, there are writers who simply write what they write, and that's it; to hell with whats popular and what isn't! This is all good and well, but that does not imply a right to be published, obviously. These are the manuscripts that need to be self-published and need to be marketed through viral or social networks; people who specifically look for material that is of very narrow appeal will know how to find it and well-written works that suit such people, deserve to be read.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
A fine post, better-expressed than most I've read about these issues. A comment about this:

Write a good pitch

a writer needs to be a salesman/saleswoman, even when pitching something to an agent whose job it is to do the same thing with publishers.

Back in the days of youthful exuberance, I was a baseball pitcher. I could throw hard, and my approach was pretty simple: Here it comes, hit it if you can.

That's all I really want from a submission to an agent. But in this ballpark it seems you have cajole, coax, squeeze into some formulaic Kabuki drama of action in order to . . . maybe . . . get a positive reaction on the receiving end. I appear to be utterly incapable of that art.

Of course, I also violate this proviso:

Stay away from material that has no market

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Back in the days of youthful exuberance, I was a baseball pitcher. I could throw hard, and my approach was pretty simple: Here it comes, hit it if you can.

That's all I really want from a submission to an agent. But in this ballpark it seems you have cajole, coax, squeeze into some formulaic Kabuki drama of action in order to . . . maybe . . . get a positive reaction on the receiving end. I appear to be utterly incapable of that art.

I still think this one is overrated, though. I didn't mention myself at all in my query letter, and my summary was just a short, literate summary of my book told in a way that I hoped sounded interesting. I think there's too much made over having a "perfect" query, and if you focus too much on trying to sell the idea then it shows and sounds too false.

If the idea is cool and you can convey it in a concise, clear way, I think that matters more than cajoling any day. I wrote a letter that I hoped would be good enough to make people read, and made sure my first five pages were good enough to get a request. I still got a ton of rejections, but I also got quite a few requests.

Try not to think of it as selling your book. Pretend you're telling a friend what it's about and leave it at that. That's the important part, and if you focus too much on the other stuff you'll just overwhelm yourself.

Reaction score
I still think this one is overrated, though. I didn't mention myself at all in my query letter, and my summary was just a short, literate summary of my book told in a way that I hoped sounded interesting.

Most of what you read online about query letters (e.g. in forums like this one) say that you more or less have to do just that. The person reading it should have a clear picture of what the book or story or article is about and what makes it interesting. It is possible to undersell or oversell something in a pitch, however, and that is why this is something that people need to learn to do better than others.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I think the last three are dead wrong. Most of the successful writers I know got that way by writing as personally as possible. The very things you warn against here are the bread and butter of the publishing industry. "Personal" does NOT mean appealing to one person. It means a common and shared experience that almost all of us experience. Especially falling in love, learning the facts of life, etc. More successful books have been written about thee two things than any other.

The problem is never, ever with writing about something intensely personal. All good and successful writers write about the personal first and foremost. The problem is poor story and poor characters, and this happens regardless of the material.

Seriously, I don't know how you can read published novels and still say writers shouldn't write about the personal? This is exactly what all good writers do write about.

And learning a trade, using anything you know well, adds verisimilitude, and these things, too, are extremely common in successful novels. You're dumb if you don't use them.

Nor does any book have to be marketed to death in order to sell very, very well. Marketing does not sell books. Word of mouth sells books. Always has, always will.

There is no such thing as overdone material, or something that has no market, except that which is poorly written. Some of the bestselling novels out there never would have been written, if these two rules were followed. Good story and good characters create their own market.

As for The ability to write well enough for publication, however, is something that can only be learned through constant practice, constant critical review, well, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Very often no, in fact.

This definitely sounds like an editorial viewpoint, and not a writerly viewpoint. I can name bestselling writer after bestselling writer who simply sat down and wrote something that was not only publishable, but great, and did so without any practice, and certainly with no critical review.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Of course you think that way.

Those three points aren't dead wrong. They're absolutely correct. The first book you contested wasn't to stay away from anything personal, but to stay away from anything TOO personal unless the subject is sufficiently broad enough to appeal and apply to large numbers of people. And a multitude of editors don't want to see material at the dying edge of a topical trend--it's hard if not impossible to sell a book if the market is glutted. And, of course, if there IS no market, how would anyone sell the book?

All of this is common sense which an editor has shared with the community out of kindness, and your response is to call the poster 'dumb' if they don't use something?

Golden rule, respect fellow writer...remember that rule? Or does that just not apply to editors and agents? Perhaps instead of dismissing the whole post as 'dead wrong' perhaps the forum might have been better served if you'd pointed out there are exceptions to these points?

As a starting point for someone new to the business, this list is very helpful. Good writing trumps all, of course, but it would take a hell of a great novel for me to consider a sweeping epic novel of love and romance set in the Civil War with a spunky heroine who once was a belle but now is more successful than the men around her. I'll never say never, but I will say doubtful. And regardless of what anyone says, the only way to perfect your craft is to practice it.

Nick Blaze

Jun-Ikkyu
Registered
Reaction score
I like to think that what has no market today may have a market tomorrow. Or next year. Or sometime after I die. It might be the most obnoxious to label with a genre, but someday there should be a large enough reader base that it should be publishable. Of course, I assume the OP was referring to what's feasibly marketable in the near future, so my point is moot.

Marketing does in fact sell books. If it didn't, it wouldn't exist. People wouldn't get paid to market something if it didn't help sell it. Does word of mouth still sell books? Yes, of course! But a lot of people nowadays prefer to socialize through electronic means, which means they can be influenced by internet marketing.

I have seen a lot of "overdone" novels hit the shelves, but I won't deny the publishing probability is much lower for them.

Reaction score
"Personal" does NOT mean appealing to one person. It means a common and shared experience that almost all of us experience. Especially falling in love, learning the facts of life, etc...

From a writerly point of view, this is absolutely right. Good writing is about what the writer has experienced.

From an editorial point of view, you are not seeing the full picture. I could go on and on about how many writers on forums such as these I have encountered who have said that they want to write their life stories. I am not talking about fiction that incorporates elements of the authors' lives, people they have met, and experiences that they have had. I am talking about their autobiographies, dramatized somewhat, because they think that their lives are as fascinating as anything they have ever read in a best-seller (not a literary classic, but a best seller -- they sincerely believe that their lives are that compelling). However, since I made it my new year's resolution to be less negative about things, I will stop now.

There is no such thing as overdone material, or something that has no market, except that which is poorly written. Some of the bestselling novels out there never would have been written, if these two rules were followed. Good story and good characters create their own market.

Take a look at all the vampire novels that are out right now, cringe, then re-assess that sentiment. :)

This definitely sounds like an editorial viewpoint, and not a writerly viewpoint.

Well, given the screenname of the OP (i.e., myself) and the title referring the the rejection of manuscripts, I should hope that this would not have been altogether surprising for you. :D

I can name bestselling writer after bestselling writer who simply sat down and wrote something that was not only publishable, but great, and did so without any practice, and certainly with no critical review.

All of them had their books edited before they were published. That is but one form of critical review.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Here's a "don't" with the query...way, way back in the day, I once pitched an editor, in a single e-mail, nine different books. I gave a capsule summary of each, and got it down to 30-50 words per book. "Nice goin', self," I told myself, and fired the thing off.

Bless her, the editor was very kind. She replied, "Tell you what--let's just talk about one project at a time."

Talk about your Basic Clueless Newbie! She and I went on to publish two books together. But I will never try to sell more than one project at a time unless I break my own Prime Directive and write a series.

Editors are gold, that's my take.

Graz

Registered
Reaction score
"I made it my new year's resolution to be less negative about things"

Why?

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Thank you, Another Editor, for your post. It has all been said before but rarely quite as thoughtfully put.

As much as I agree with most of what you said, I must admit that I do see JAR's point about the personal element and saturated or no market. These points are directly related to my manuscript, a memoir.

Many novels I have thoroughly enjoyed have touched me at a personal level because it was written like that. There was something that felt personal, even if it may have been entirely imagined.

I also believe we cannot know if there isn't a market until we actually try it. In 1999, my children asked me to buy them two books. I was shocked at the size and genre, sure that my seven-year-old twins had made a mistake. I put them back. It was the first 2 Harry Potter books. I had not heard of them. Seeing their tears later, I had to go out to get them. What an unexpected market! Elie Wiesel's Night could not sell in the 50s because people did not want to read anything about the war. It was only in the 70s onwards when it crept into every human beings "must read" list and has remained there since. Extreme examples but you know what I mean. There's always a market, no matter how small it may seem in the beginning. If it's too small, some writers may need to look at other publishing options, that's all.

I think the same goes for saturated markets. I have no desire to read about loss in Iraq but if I did lose someone precious, I'd be reading every book, sharing in every widow's or mother's pain. If I had an illness that is much maligned and misunderstood, without a cause or a cure, I will read every (well-written) memoir for hope and inspiration.

It really boils down to great writing. So yes, I shall definitely heed most of your advice while being aware of the options for my memoir vis-a-vis Personal / Saturated Market / No Market. I can avoid hanging myself if every agent turns me down. I'm not going to let a few "charming idea but...", "sounds very inspiring but...", "I'm sure there are several agents out there who will suit you better" prevent me from trying :)

Thank you again, Another Editor :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
The problem is never, ever with writing about something intensely personal. All good and successful writers write about the personal first and foremost.

I had to revisit this after I saw a funny image at Cracked.com, one which sums up this issue in a very apt way.

430_slide.jpg

If the image is not embedded, here is the link.

I think that says it all.