Exclamation Question, question (interrobang ?!)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Sure you can. Tho' they're found more in comics than in prose (that's my personal experience anyway).

-Derek

shelley

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen them a lot in dialogues. Like when you want to show one characters surprise?

misha_mcg

Registered
Reaction score
Website
misha-mcg.livejournal.com
I strongly, strongly, strongly, very strongly prefer not to see this. Even in comics. To me, ending a sentence with ?! just looks sloppy. I would caution against over-using exclamation points at all, really. They are easily over-used and often annoying.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Derek. Shoved together, the two punctuation marks are comical. Biff!? Pow!? Holy crap, is that you, Batman?!

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
You have another vote for being against it. Question mark is fine. You can say something like.

"Did you even think to cancel the meeting?" he cried.

ETA: A sense of tension should already have been established in the narrative before the question that begs an exclamation. So really, there is no necessity for an exclamation point at all when the tension was previously established... typically. Does that make any sense?

Last edited:

LisaAnn

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with misha_mcg, Chase and DanielaTorre. I tend to find them a bit distracting in prose--kinda like when someone writes in all capital letters--and I often wonder why the author is yelling at me. (dpaterso has a great point, though. Comics use double marks all the time, and I think it's possible pull them off in prose if they fit into that quirky, comic-ish style.)

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, I'm with the others - don't.

Rewrite the sentence.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
Can you have a question mark and an exclamation point in the same sentence?!

I found that exclamation marks can almost always be left out. The shock or surprise that prompts the mark should be embedded in the words so that a punctuation isn't needed.

I tend to save them for the rare cases where they give the exact shade of meaning I'm looking for. So I've never actually had the occasion to combine them.

I find I use them mostly in dialogue, too.

amrose

is Envy Augustine
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not dead against it, but use it even less than adverbs.

n3onkn1ght

Registered
Reaction score
I used them, but my story is very rooted in the Star Wars aesthetic, so it's not quite a literary style.

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
I do agree with the majority here -- poorly equipped that I am to deal with grammar.
I do see this kind of thing as a result of some of our "rules" (that aren't really rules), such as use said as opposed to giggled or cried, or yelled, or exclaimed.

"Did you even think to cancel the meeting?" he cried.
I think this is fine, in the right place at the right time. Grammatically, there's nothing wrong with it at all. Style is the potential problem and only the writer can determine that .

"Did you even think to cancel the meeting?" he said in a low, cold voice.
I suppose this is a bit bad too, because it should be part of the context rather than part of the dialog tag.

He crumpled the paper and slammed his fist on the table. ""Did you even think to cancel the meeting?" He shot up our of the chair and stomped to the window, hands tightly gripped together behind his back.

Part of the problem is the obvious. We can't really hear him say this thing so we can't hear the volume or the tone. The question is, how to accurately show this in the writing. I suppose a !? is one way, but I can't imagine that being correct from a grammar standpoint.