That.

legendary bum

needs to change her sheets
Registered
Reaction score
I have issues with this word. Do you need to be consistent with it in your writing?

For example, saying "There are things about him I don't know" (versus "There are things about him that I don't know"), and then in some other place saying "I told her that she had lost her mind" (versus "I told her she had lost her mind").

Does it matter? Sometimes using the word "that" sounds right and sometimes it doesn't.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If it's needed in the passage, there's nothing wrong with "that". If it's not needed, then cut it.

Do a "find" search for the word and see how many you can weed out; if nothing else, it will help tighten your word count.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Cyia. But keep in mind THAT sometimes a little variation in sentence structure is desirable.

Lyxdeslic

Laughing every time I choke.
Registered
Reaction score
I have issues with this word.
As you should. It signifies that you're learning and growing as a writer.
Do you need to be consistent with it in your writing?
Yes.
Does it matter?
Yes.
Sometimes using the word "that" sounds right and sometimes it doesn't.
And you've answered your own question. Learning to discern when to use it and when not is more significant than you might think. It's the first step to introducing yourself to your inner-editor. Eventually you'll look at bigger issues, such as "Do I need this sentence? This paragraph? This scene?" Etc.

Lyx--Self-proclaimed "That" slayer

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This discussion comes up every now and then, as it should.

I agree with thatslayer Lyxdeslic: In narrative, any "that" not absolutely necessary for meaning should be staked through its heart and exposed to sunlight till it bursts into flame.

But don't forget a liberal sprinkling of even unnecessary "thats" in a certain character's dialog can make his -- but mostly her -- speech patterns differ or even stand out.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Lyxdeslic. That. Yes, that as he said.

Cyia, too. I did a word search and cut at least 8 "that" from my 63,000 word ms. Not a lot but I didn't use much to begin with.

Chicago Expat

Distracted
Registered
Reaction score
I have issues with this word. Do you need to be consistent with it in your writing?

For example, saying "There are things about him I don't know" (versus "There are things about him that I don't know"), and then in some other place saying "I told her that she had lost her mind" (versus "I told her she had lost her mind").

Does it matter? Sometimes using the word "that" sounds right and sometimes it doesn't.

Think about cadence. Sometimes that extra mono-syllabic word is an essential beat to the rhythm of a sentence, as well as the overall rhythmic structure of a paragraph/chapter/book.

Its consistency will be more important in dialog of specific characters.

Read it out loud. Quite often that will solve that problem.

:D

That is good advice, too.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com

No words are good or bad, or even forbidden. Use words only when needed.

Personally, I also like to remove "that" as often as I can. I feel my sentences are stronger. But, if "that" belongs somewhere, then it just belongs.

enigmahfc

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about all of that.

Seriously though, I have been removing "that" from a lot of my sentences lately and it really does seem to help.

misha_mcg

Registered
Reaction score
Website
misha-mcg.livejournal.com
Journalism has made me tend to avoid "that," however, I think it has its uses. I've found myself including it more and more often lately. It has its place, but perhaps it's better to err on the side of under-use?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I try to eliminate "that" now but some are still necessary, and some sound better being there. So it's not a global search and replace thing.

Matthew Colville

Registered
Reaction score
Read it out loud. Quite often that will solve that problem.

:D

This solves a lot of problems

PLENTY of scripts for my last game, everyone loved, signed off on by everyone, get the actor in the booth and realize "this is not a sentence a human being would ever speak," at which point we're all super happy the writer is sitting right there. :D

Matthew Colville

Registered
Reaction score

You will quickly, and I submit you're already there, find that while you use "that" more often than you should, sometimes it is what people say, and you find yourself unable to remove it because people simply don't speak in the most grammatically efficient manner possible.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
If it's needed in the passage, there's nothing wrong with "that". If it's not needed, then cut it.

Do a "find" search for the word and see how many you can weed out; if nothing else, it will help tighten your word count.

I did this with all the words overuse. It was quite helpful (and a wee bit embarrassing, LOL).

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Think about cadence. Sometimes that extra mono-syllabic word is an essential beat to the rhythm of a sentence, as well as the overall rhythmic structure of a paragraph/chapter/book.

That.