Why we do it —*thoughts from an editor

Skippy75

Publishing Professional (14 years)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorandauthor.com
Mandy Brett from Text Publishing on why we do what we do. It's a long article but a good one trying to encapsulate the delicate relationship between author and editor and why and how editors do their jobs.

http://bit.ly/gfNaF1

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that Skip, very interesting. There's been a lot of editor bashing over the years, usually by amateurs, so this is a nice piece to help balance the debate. I think we all appreciate, or should, that there are many fine editors out there. Unfortunately there are also a number of out and out crooks who sully the reputation of those good editors. But, I guess, that's life. Thanks again (from Perth).

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great article, Skip - thanks for posting.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the link, Skippy. I appreciate having the opportunity to gain perspective into a process I never really thought about.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Well, Skippy, you know how I feel about editors. Still, I found this intersting. Thank you for posting this.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Skippy,

Interesting article. I do wonder if editors in the US think as those in Australia -- I mean really.

Incidentally, think your website is very well done, writing and all.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
What I hope I can do is point out that the magic could be even more dazzling but for these things—here and here—obstructing it, occluding it. If I am really on my game I may even be able to spot some latent magic that only needs this new thing here to bring it out; and that is about as good as it gets.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this article. It inspires me to wax fancy on how the process is so human, like the very building of civilization, which seems to me to be much like the process of a productive conversation.

(Oh, dear. Could it be I'm just now overly under the influence of watching My Dinner With Andre?)

Last edited:

Skippy75

Publishing Professional (14 years)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorandauthor.com
Thanks Scope, LaceWing and Ladylilchubb. I'm glad it helped.

I think it is an interesting point to relate it to other cooperative human endeavours, and it is true that the media wants to focus on a "single point of genius", portraying authors as being the complete source of their own inspiration and ingenuity, which can actually alienate new writers. Aspiring authors then think that they have to be stellar in a sense to be successful and therefore shouldn't seek help or admit that they might have had to rework a manuscript to get a publishing deal or whatever.

I suppose it is the same in all creative industries, with movies stars claiming they "just have a good metabolism and eat what they like" and that their magazine images aren't airbrushed etc.